No announcement yet.

Best way for an old(er) guy to learn to weld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bperrybap, That's a great idea, never thought of high schools, I will pursue that angle too. Just did a quick look at my local HS course list, and they do have a class called Applied Technology, "A traditional machine/metals class that is oriented to the construction of a super-mileage vehicle that is completed in Applied Technology II. Curriculum is applicable to industry standards. Students will acquire useful techniques in the machining, manufacturing, welding and fabrication trades. This course is highly recommended for any student considering further work/study in the field of Engineering." Not sure if this is what I am going to be looking for, seems like welding is an afterthought, but that is the only one that mentions welding/metal work at all. Who knows about the after school/evening offerings, they could still offer classes, of course. Won't hurt to give em a call to find out.

>fun4now shoure nice short post so you get to anser first
    >if you had no life like me you wold make long posts and always be 2nd too LOL

I know, tell me about it, my posts seem to get to be novels... Thanks for the advice and the link, I will check them both out, the welding shop hopefully on Monday over lunch. Maybe they will have some ideas about other training options, like the ones y'all have come up with here.

Comment

Best way for an old(er) guy to learn to weld.

With:
      Good instruction.
      A safe place to practice.
      A good set of reading glasses and welding helmet.
      And limited caffeine in the morning.

Some days will be good.... others not so good.... just keep at it.

Welcome aboard!
      Best Regard,

Miller Passport
      Miller 225G
      Red 255
      VIctor O/A
      Wish list:
      Maxstar 150STH or
      Syncrowave 250DX
      A Dynasty 300 if I am wishing really hard..

Comment

i'm not shoure they will ofer the Applied Technology class at night , if its like my high school was it will be a 3 hr class offerd to sr's and jr's (ops flip that LOL) but as welding is included its posible they will ofer the welding class after school. the other is a bit more than you are looking for unless you just have the time to spend maybee i should look into one so i could have a life.
        any how you atleast know they have the ability to teach welding so thats promising.
        if the $$ is anything like the one bperrybap got thats agreat deal and will be well werth it. heck you could get the $100 back in discounts easily.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
          shoure nice short post so you get to anser first
          if you had no life like me you wold make long posts and always be 2nd too LOL
          Its a dog eat dog world pal !!! Survival of the quickest. If youre going to talk, talk; if youre going to type, type; I got 160 gigabites, tell me, do you feel lucky.
          To all who contribute to this board.
          My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
          Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
          Miller Syncrowave 250
          Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by neophyte
            Best way for an old(er) guy to learn to weld.

With:
            Good instruction.
            A safe place to practice.
            A good set of reading glasses and welding helmet.
            And limited caffeine in the morning.

Some days will be good.... others not so good.... just keep at it.

Welcome aboard!
            Yeah, limit the caffeine, but Vodka's OK!!

Alha,

I'll second Sundown's sentiment. I could not find suitable instruction when I started either, and the wealth of knowledge of the members of this forum, and the Hobart forum (many of us visit both), and their total willingness toshare what they know, took me from the second inventor of bird excrement to a half-way decent weldor in a few years! I'm 64 with crummy eyesight and not-too-steady hands, and I do OK!

The problem with being a half-way decent weldor is that I sometimes start vast projects with only half-vast ideas!

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

burninbriar

I got 160 gigabites, tell me, do you feel lucky.
              ummm not a chance
              must be nice, i got a dial up modem and a lousy carryer, spent 2hr's this morning logging on and off again just trying to be able to get my e-mail without it timming out on me and i couldnt get my brouser to load any sites at all. server sucks and the dial up isent helping. unforchanetly even if i could aford a dsl or other option it isent available out here, too many cow's not enough people for them to bother running the wires. so the race is wone befor its even run, heck i cant even get to the track.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

Working...
              X