Chop saw versus miter saw with metal blade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chop saw versus miter saw with metal blade

This may be a stupid question, but what does a chop saw do that a miter saw and a metal blade does not?

I do not have a chop saw, but do have a nice 12" Dewalt miter I use for carpentry work. Can a metal cutting blade be used in the miter saw? I checked specs between the 2 and saw the rpms are about the same, but maybe the motor on the chop is tougher due to the tough cutting.

I was thinking of getting a cheap band saw since I do some woodworking also, but it appears wood and metal band saws are different. I could be (and probably am) wrong on this, but I could not find anything saying otherwise online.

Miller 210
    Diversion 165

A chop saw is usually a steel bed that when using a friction blade and lots of sparks are flying will not stick to it. Also there is clamping device to hold the material while cutting. Using a chop saw blade in a miter saw will ruin it...sparks, and metal.

Comment

Pdog,
      I though that the rpms were differant. I have a 12" wood miter saw but I don't think it would work. The wood saw isn't built as well as the abrasive chop saw that I have.
      Bulldog
      5 Passport Pluses
      2 MM 212's
      MM 210
      MM 251 MIA
      MM 350 P w/Python
      Syncrowave 250
      w/ tig runner
      Trailblazer 302
      12RC w/meters
      Spectrum 1000
      Spectrum 2050
      2 Black BWEs
      Joker BWE
      Star & stripe BWE Digital
      2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
      CUMMINS BABY

Comment

I figured there was a difference. Thanks guys.

Miller 210
        Diversion 165

Comment

I bought the Hitachi CD14F metal cutting chop saw and it's 1490 rpm's and I also have a dewalt wood cutting chop saw and that runs about 4500 rpm's and I know the other diffenece is the metal cutting chop saws motors are more sealed up so metal chips dont get in it,
          Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Matic 35
          Piranha II

Comment

blade speed is usualy different, and more importantly is the clamping of the work on the miter saws.
            as for a wood vs metal band saw the metal band saw would work fine on wood, most have vareable speed and you can always change the blades out if needed. a hack saw will cut wood just not as fast as the wood saw will. so if you want a saw to do bolth wood and steel, i would get a metal band saw thats vareable speed and a cuple diferent blades. lots of metal band saws will even cut horizontaly and verticaly so it would be your best option.

i have a sweet dewalt 12 slideing compound miter saw the one that telliscopes out to alow for 12" cuts, it was like $600 and the thought of trying to cut steel on that sweet aluminum base is just scary even if i could find a blade to match the speed. just too nice to put steel on. and even with the optional clamp it still holds rong for steel cutting, i'll get ya a pic of mine with the clamp tomarow when i get out to the shop.

pic is of the newest version of my saw. if you look at the base you can see it was not made for steel
            Attached Files
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
              as for a wood vs metal band saw the metal band saw would work fine on wood, most have vareable speed and you can always change the blades out if needed. a hack saw will cut wood just not as fast as the wood saw will. so if you want a saw to do bolth wood and steel, i would get a metal band saw thats vareable speed and a cuple diferent blades. lots of metal band saws will even cut horizontaly and verticaly so it would be your best option.
              A metal saw can cut wood OK but a buildup of sawdust & then adding hot metal chips isn't a good idea! It can be done, but the one time you do a quick metal cut & then leave the shop.......
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
              1971 Roughneck 1e
              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
              Optrel Satellite OSE
              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
              O/A Set
              Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
              1.5 kVA Spot Welder
              Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
              My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

true its not an ideal setup but if you changed blades and blew it out with air compresser when you changed from wood to steel and back you should be ok.
                again not the best but doable.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Thanks all. I will have to make up my mind on the bandsaw issue.

I have a similar Dewalt, the 706 (12" non-sliding).

Miller 210
                  Diversion 165

Comment

i would defenetly not try the dewalt on steel, biggest isue being its just too dangerouse to try to cut steel when its not properly secured.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

Working...
                    X