plug swap in BB ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plug swap in BB ?

I,m no electrician but my question is can the 120v/240vplug the big one thats the same one on my TB 300DandBB i have never used this plug.My electrician order the plug to match the one on plasma its a HT1250 and i believe its wire 250v60A 3ph he is going to swap out this plug i metioned earlier and wire it to the opt. 3ph in the BB402D
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Won't be a simple job, I don't think; but probably doable. I think it would be a better idea to just ADD the 3-phase receptacle somewhere else on the machine rather than swap the existing wiring going to the existing single-phase receptacle.

It would be less work, faster work, and leave you with two receptacles.

Correct me if I'm wrong on your machine, but you can use the single-phase receptacle while welding, but the 3-phase is optional power only available while not welding, right?

Comment

i dont know but i wont be welding and plasma cutting at same time as i work alone the opt 3ph is on a seperate 50A breaker as for ease i don,t care want the receptcale behind the weatherproof factory protective door and i dont use that plug they give you so i don,t care about losing it
      BB402D
      TB300D
      DIMENSION652
      MM250X
      MAXSTAR140
      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Jobs Done/mobile Plasma Now

Not that bad at all .open front flip down acess panel removed old plug drilled out rivets holding black weather protective cover the hole thru the steel flip down plate was shape in a + sign needed to be die grinded a slight bit larger to accept new plug then the professional came into wire up (buddy licensed electrician)then plug in plasma and powered up the BB and test fired the torch once tommorrow will try a cut i tell ya the results compared to the shop plug power if anyone intrested.thank for the replies.
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Originally posted by admweld
          I,m no electrician but my question is can the 120v/240v the big one thats the same one on my TB 300DandBB i have never used this plug.My electrician order the plug to match the one on plasma its a HT1250 and i believe its wire 250v60A 3ph he is going to swap out this plug i metioned earlier and wire it to the opt. 3ph in the BB402D
          The preferred plug would be a NEMA 15-50. If there is such a thing
          as a 'standard' 3 phase plug for welders this would be it. It is the size
          and shape of the NEMA 14-50 common on welders for single phase
          except that 2 of the lugs are horizontal.

I suggest this because if you ever end up with a Lincoln welder which
          comes standard with both a 3 phase and a 1 phase plug side by side on the front panel, that is what you get.
          rvannatta
          www.vannattabros.com
          Miller Bobcat 225G
          Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
          Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
          Lincoln Vantage 400
          Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702
            Won't be a simple job, I don't think; but probably doable. I think it would be a better idea to just ADD the 3-phase receptacle somewhere else on the machine rather than swap the existing wiring going to the existing single-phase receptacle.

It would be less work, faster work, and leave you with two receptacles.

Correct me if I'm wrong on your machine, but you can use the single-phase receptacle while welding, but the 3-phase is optional power only available while not welding, right?
            don't know about the BB402D, but the Lincoln Vantage 400 is perfectly happy
            providing 3 phase power while welding. See chart attached.
            You will note that you actually get more 3 phase power than single phase power. For example 13KW if welding at 200 amps.

This was the reason I went to a 3 phase electric air compressor on my welding rig. With 3 phase you balance the load on all 3 legs instead of pulling it all of 2 legs
            Attached Files
            rvannatta
            www.vannattabros.com
            Miller Bobcat 225G
            Lincoln Vantage 400
            Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

rv i hope i never end up with a lincoln.And mac it was pretty simple swap except for the hook up as i dont know how to wire anything maybe some day i will learn electrical but for now i,m busy welding with the power my electrician gives me.
              BB402D
              TB300D
              DIMENSION652
              MM250X
              MAXSTAR140
              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

admweld,
                Reading along here and glad to hear this project is going smoothly for you.Let us know how it all turns out.

Comment

And mac it was pretty simple swap except for the hook up
                  Yeah, the hookup should have been the only part that wasn't simple. It's pretty cool that is was easily doable for your electrician, though. Sounds very useful to you.

Just curious, is it only available now while not welding, like the current models?

And yeah, if I was a Lincoln guy, I'd have that Vantage.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702
                    if I was a Lincoln guy, I'd have that Vantage.
                    MAC,
                    From what I have heard, the Vantage will make you a Lincoln guy.
                    Jeff
                    Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall
                      MAC,
                      From what I have heard, the Vantage will make you a Lincoln guy.
                      Jeff
                      I guess I am at a loss to understand why Miller offers a 3 phase option
                      but sells it without a receptical. It's not even on their option list. Years ago when we bought our Bobcat likewise it didn't 'come' with the Nema 14-50 plug but at least it was optional, and you didn't have to hire an electrican to install it.

Maybe there is method to Miller's madness of marketing a 3 phase generator with no way to hook it up, but with the BB400 and the Vantage 400 selling nose to nose at the same price, the lack of a plugin for the 3 phase power on the BB400 was a real head shaker.

The BB400 does provide a circuit breaker for the 3 phase and a 'hole' in the front panel for your cord which they assume you will hardwire inside, but to me this sort of shows a disconnect between the customer and the engineers. Why would anyone want to hardwire a plasma cutter to their welder. similarly, if you are using the welder as a jerry rigged emergency generator being able to plug in makes more sense than hardwiring.

Perhaps if I was makaing a permananet installation of standby power
                      I'd want to hardwire, but if I was doing that, I probably wouldn't be buying a welder to do it with in the first place.

My take is that over time, the thing that will drive the market for heavy 3 phase connections on welders is exactly what is being done here---the ability to us a big plasma cutter.

Until someone gets sense enough to make 'plasma cutting' a front panel option on engine drive welders, plugging them in is the natural solution.
                      rvannatta
                      www.vannattabros.com
                      Miller Bobcat 225G
                      Lincoln Vantage 400
                      Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

No One I Know Has Lincolns

Rv,I have that blank hole w/ red plastic plug and blue plastic nut holding the plug in so if you remove it you can run a cord thru as you said but i choose the plug swap out as this will be permenant and still using factory protective covers.I,d like to try a vantage but no welders i know has one in my area and that power i,m not sure if thats while i,m simutaniously welding but there one way to find out i,ll have to run some rod while a buddy tries to cut i,ll let you guys know what happens i,ll also look in my owners manuals.
                        BB402D
                        TB300D
                        DIMENSION652
                        MM250X
                        MAXSTAR140
                        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Rv,I have that blank hole w/ red plastic plug and blue plastic nut holding the plug in so if you remove it you can run a cord thru as you said but i choose the plug swap out as this will be permenant and still using factory protective covers.I,d like to try a vantage but no welders i know has one in my area and that power i,m not sure if thats while i,m simutaniously welding but there one way to find out i,ll have to run some rod while a biddy tries to cut i,ll let you guys know what happens i,ll also look in my owners manuals.
                          I think there is a chart in the owners manual. One of the screwy things
                          about some Millers is that you have to crank the weld amperage wide open
                          to get the AC power at full capacity, but of course if you do that implicitly
                          you can't weld. Generally speaking overloading generators is not a good thing, so I wouldn't press my luck by trying to run the Air ARC and the plasma cutter at the same time.

the poop sheet on the Hypertherm 1250 says it draws 34 amps at 240 volts max, and the sheet on the Miller says it will put out 36 amps, and neither will handle this at 100% duty cycle, so it should all be good to go. Practically speaking, we often run our plasma cutter at less than full blast, as it will
                          cut lighter stuff as fast as you can move the torch at 50 or 60 amps so there is no reason to give it full throttle.

The Lincoln is a brand new product that just became available this winter. I picked ours just a couple of days before the end of the year. We wanted it to drive a plasma cutter and its advertized 19KW of AC power was a major factor in our selecting it over the Miller, even though we had never owned
                          a Lincoln before.
                          rvannatta
                          www.vannattabros.com
                          Miller Bobcat 225G
                          Lincoln Vantage 400
                          Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

test cut last night

Tried it out last night went thru a piece if flat bar 1" thick x3" wide no problem I wish i had a digital camera i,d post a pic but i don,t have one the cut performance and travel speed is as good as hooked too the shop power.
                            BB402D
                            TB300D
                            DIMENSION652
                            MM250X
                            MAXSTAR140
                            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                            X