Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Back in 1987 I bought my first mig welder a MM200 it was a good running machine but it would melt the plug jack that you would use to go from high to low, but it ran a good weld, finally I got tired of the melting plug so I sold it and bought an MM250 back in about 1996 It was terrible so I took it back and told them it was junk so they said try the Miller Matic VINTAGE, although it was a better machine than the 250 I am still not happy and wish I would have kept the MM200.
    In the shop I use my XMT 304 90% of the time and the Vintage about 10%
    I thought maybe it was just me.
    So am I correct to say I need the MM 251, will it run as good as my old
    MM200

Leave a comment:

• fyoung
    replied
    250x

Hi, I've messed with my 250X for a few months now and it welds OK but as other have said if you will weld with other welders you will find out that it's harder to operate in all areas and weld appearance is sorry compared to other welders. I spend more time trying to find a sweet spot for mine than i do welding. I've got where i find myself using the stick welder when I don't have time to kill and the beads look so much nicer. If I happen to be at my friends shop and using his MM200 my welds look like someone other than me did them compared to my mm250x. I've let others weld with mine and all of them have said what others on here have said..the mm250 just isn't going to give you the best looking welds but they'll hold. I'll probably be replacing mine this summer with a mm210 or mm251. I've not welded with a mm210 yet but have with a mm251 and there is a ton of difference in the way my welds look and the time involved setting up.
    Regards. Farris

Leave a comment:

• drscotch
    replied
    Originally posted by calweld
    Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy so I have to work occasionally .
    No worries. If it wasn't for the work it would be hard to pay for the fun stuff.
    I really appreciate you taking the time to do these tests. Thanks. Good point about the risk only being the cost of the upgrade module for the 250.

Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    Those welds look like I get with a 30A on a MM250 also. When doing flat stuff I find that if I pull the gun I get a black sooty coating on the weld but if I push it it looks pretty clean. A pressure washer usually cleans the sooty stuff off pretty good. Yes the gun just plugs into the MM250 after the kit is installed so you can use the gun on any machine with the plug.---MMW---

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Sorry it took so long to get back on this. Unfortunately, I'm not independently wealthy so I have to work occasionally .

Anyway, I went ahead and ran a few beads with the MM250. I didn't spend a lot of time dialing it in, but my impression was it welds somewhat stiffer than I'm used to. Most of my experience running aluminum with the spoolgun has been through trailblazer engine drives and the commander engine drives, both seem to have a wetter puddle and run smoother. However, I would not hesitate to use the MM250, the welds look more than acceptable, depends on the kind of work you do. If I recall (I may be mistaken) the kit to install on the MM250 was a couple hundred dollars or so, if it turns out you don't like it that's all you'll be out, the spoolgun can be transferred to another machine.
    I ran these with 5356, .035, about 24 volts, no idea of wire speed (numbers on dial are long gone). This aluminum is 1/4" thick, probably had it set a little fast, also looks like there's some cleanliness issues (I just wirebrushed the metal beforehand). I think they would be better appearance-wise if I cleaned better and dropped the heat/wire speed and took a little more time.
    First picture is horizontal. Second vertical up, third vertical down (had some feeding problems in that one, not the machine's fault, my fault). Last picture is some SS I did a year or two ago, 4"X4"X1/4" SS angle welded to a 1/2" baseplate, with the same MM250/30A spoolgun setup. I don't know how well you can see them in the pictures, but the SS welds actually look pretty good (they better, they're on my patio!!).
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Originally posted by drscotch
    Yes, I'd appreciate that if it's not too much trouble.
    If I don't have to take the truck out tomorrow I'll give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by zgoo
    I have a 250x, how does it due compared to the 251 or 250. It will sometimes start to push the wire out slow and then it will start to work again, weird. I get better welds from my 130 but have never owned a larger welder until the 250x. Should I get a 251 or is a 250x fine?

Dan
    Dan, my suggestion would be to go to a local welding supplier and give the MM 251 a try yourself. I've never ran a 250X,. However, since it had a relatively short lived production life, I'd feel safe in assuming that the unit had issues that needed addressing, which has given us the MM 251 as Miller's offereing in this amperage class now.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    Originally posted by mmw
    I have a 10 yr old MM250 & like it but have not tried a newer one. Maybe I'll demo a new one too.---MMW---
    The MM 250 that I have to reluctantly run from time to time is 10 years old too. I warn you a head of time, if you run a MM 251, you'll be wanting to get rid of the MM 250 shortly after. The MM 251 is honestly a much nicer performing unit.

Leave a comment:

• drscotch
    replied
    Originally posted by calweld
    If you want I can fire it up again and run some test beads and report back.
    Yes, I'd appreciate that if it's not too much trouble.

Leave a comment:

• zgoo
    replied
    what about the 250x?

I have a 250x, how does it due compared to the 251 or 250. It will sometimes start to push the wire out slow and then it will start to work again, weird. I get better welds from my 130 but have never owned a larger welder until the 250x. Should I get a 251 or is a 250x fine?

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    The major problem with the MM-250 is it replaced the MM-200.
    The guys that traded their 200 in on a 250 were not happy campers.
    MM-200 = nice machine.

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    Just went back and re-read your original post -- I do have mine set up with the PC board and connections for the 30A -- it's been a year or two since I've used it, but I don't recall any problems using the 30A. If you want I can fire it up again and run some test beads and report back.

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    And all these years I thought it was me . . . I always wondered why everybody else could make prettier mig welds than me . . . I'm the only one I know with the MM250. I have discovered that this machine makes a very good storage table - and it has wheels so you can move it around as necessary and use as a sawhorse also

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    we have one up at the shop and it seems that I can never find the sweet setting that I need... its always acting weird and it always leaves real ROPEY beads...no matter how long I screw around with the settings.... works okay for tacking stuff up though -

Dawg

Leave a comment:

• FM117
    replied
    About a year ago I bought 3 units at a local auction, a MM200
    and 2 250s. I sold 1 of the 250 units within about 2 days
    and kept both the other units.
    Welded with both of them for a few months and developed
    a strong preference for the MM200. I asked about it on this
    list and Andy and others suggested that the early solid-state
    units did not have the best of arcs. I played with them both
    about another month and then sold the second 250 unit.
    I don't think anything is wrong with the units from a reliability
    standpoint, they just don't weld as nice.
    I do mostly tig and almost hate to admit this, but I really
    like the MM200 for some things. Did some trailer work with
    1/4 and 3/8 stock, set it up with 98/02 mix and it did a nice
    spray bead....fast! Didn't have to spray it, just wanted
    to try the unit that way.
    I usually keep it set up with C25 and .035 ER70 wire, very
    handy to have around.
    Dave P.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X