Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tallwelder
    replied
    Just a suggestion for those of You interested in 4130 scraps.
    Find a local drag race car builder, they have plenty of scraps like those pictured and can only get about $40.00 per ton which usually means throwing it in the trash! Also they will use 4130N which requires no special normalizing, pre or post heating etc. Carl

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    It's pretty well known (around here anyway). There are many alternatives to thoriated, infact for inverters it's not even reccomended.

Leave a comment:

• bmwsid
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiky
    Just a heads up, i found a cheap alternative to a diamond grinding wheel. I found on e-bay something calleda lapidary wheel. Its a flat stainless disk with diamond abrasive on one side. It mounts nicely outboard of a grinding wheel for tungsten grinding and the outermost edge will score a tungsten for easy snapping. cost about 43 bucks with shipping for an 8". I used a unibit to open the hole for my 8" grinder, they are available in many sizes and grits, i got 360 grit but may go for a 600-1000 since they are affordable.

secondly i just placed an order with aircraft spruce for an assortment of chromoly tubing scraps. 30 bucks for about 20 linear feet of cuttings. AircraftSpruce.com

I was looking on the AWS page a while back, and found out that thoriated tungsten is low-grade radio-active. You want to make sure you avoid inhaling any of the dust. This, after having welded in a plant for 28 years! (Just like they didn't know trichlorethelene turns into nerve gas, as does several good de-greasers)
    I just put my tungsten in the cordless drill, and sharpen it in a fine stone on the bench grinder.
    Sid

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    looks like some good amtereal for practicing, small and large and plenty long enough to practice mitering joints with toobe.
    have fun.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    here is some pics of what aircraft spruce sells for 30 bucks. Seems like a good deal for a hobbie guy or to practice welding chromoly
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    oops, i get them confused. Shouldn't post at 5am after a hard night of drinking!!

Leave a comment:

• Billet Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Laiky
    Just a heads up, i found a cheap alternative to a diamond grinding wheel. I found on e-bay something calleda lapidary wheel. Its a flat stainless disk with diamond abrasive on one side. It mounts nicely outboard of a grinding wheel for tungsten grinding and the outermost edge will score a tungsten for easy snapping. cost about 43 bucks with shipping for an 8". I used a unibit to open the hole for my 8" grinder, they are available in many sizes and grits, i got 360 grit but may go for a 600-1000 since they are affordable.

secondly i just placed an order with aircraft spruce for an assortment of chromoly tubing scraps. 30 bucks for about 20 linear feet of cuttings. AircraftSpruce.com

They sell 4130 tubing drops not 4340.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    This is the sellers e-bay store:
    http://stores.ebay.com/BUTW-lapidary

This the wheel, many different types available:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BUTW-6-3000-grit...QQcmdZViewItem

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    Originally posted by pjseaman
    Post a link where these can be seen and purchased.
    Peace,
    i agree a link would be great just so we can see what you are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    The 1000 grit is helpful if you get into light amperage welding and thinner materials with .040 tungstens as it will tend to allow less possible arc wander due to the micro fine finish. I've welded with some machined tungstens and chemical sharpened and ground and the best is machined, they are always exact and there is no arc wander even at very low amperage 5-10 amps. I don't do alot of this kind of stuff but I do understand the benefits, although expensive they are the best.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Post a link where these can be seen and purchased. I believe they may be what one of my friends is using. A good inexpensive sharpening method would be nice for some of the starters. I am planning to buy a Pirhana later in the year, but the info is a helpful to pass along.

Peace,

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    i think the 360 grit will be more than smoth enough for ya, 1000 being a bit over the top i think.
    thats a sweet find on the scraps, great way to get some practice in.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    started a topic Lapidary diamond wheels and 4340 scraps

Lapidary diamond wheels and 4340 scraps

Working...
X