Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sundown
    replied
    I would have put a 30 amp twist lock on the DX coord then made two short adapters ... which is what I will do for the Spectrum 375 this weekend.

MAC, I know I didn't do it that for the STH, but Sberry made me see the light.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    lens,

When using a high EN balance of 95-99% you are basically running close to a DC arc. However, the small percentage of EP in the arc does allow for arc cleaning action and frequency adjustment to fine tune the arc cone width. There is not a lot published on the subject and the recommended applications are for 1/8" and thinner mild steel. It is just something I do for some client specific applications. Other than that just play with and see what you get. I do use some type of ar/he mix depending on the job.

Leave a comment:

• lens
    replied
    What exactly does running AC do for you with mild steel? Were you doing this to narrow the arc by messing with the freq? I am new to TIG and am curious about tricks with steel, since most discussion here are about more exotic metals.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    You will have to rely on grinding your tungsten angles to provide a wider or narrower arc on DC. One option with the Dynasty is to weld on AC with a 95%-99% EN balance. This will give you a mostly DC arc with the ability to adjust the arc frequency. I have done this with prototype work from 1/8" up to 3/4" mild steel using different ar/he mixes. I am not recommending you use this for critical work, but the option is available.

Leave a comment:

• Laiky
    replied
    another reason to setup for 220 and adapt to 110 is that 110 plugs don't handle current over 15 amps very well. they tend to overheat and burn up if run continuosly over 15 amps. I set my dynasty and plasma up with 50amp plugs and adapt down to 110 when necessary. It's a more durable configuration and there is no chance of plugging a 110 device into 220. Also as MAC points out using short adapters makes it far less likely that you will make a mistake, when you see that 110 plugs connected a foot down the line to a big old plug you are reminded its not 110!

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by Sberry
    Right now you have a cord that someone could plug a 120 device into a 240 recept
    I don't mind using long extension cords that have different configurations of the same voltage rating, i.e. a 50' cord that plugs into a dryer receptacle but has a NEMA 6-50P welder receptacle on the other end. BUT, as Cary mentioned, someone sees a 120V, they won't check the other end, they'll just plug into it. So keep those adapters short and idiot-proof.

Leave a comment:

• ZeroHero
    replied
    Thanks for the response I understand you concern on the 120 plug...thats easy enough to switch up What do you think about the SJ cord and size is that appropriate? 10/3? Home Depot didn't have any SO cord

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I will let some others talk about waveforms for that machine but the plug setup wouldnt be my choice. I would use all 230V plugs, on the machine and make an adapter to to go from 120 to 240. Right now you have a cord that someone could plug a 120 device into a 240 recept, it would be impossible the other way around and you are mainly running it on 230 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Dynasty 200 dx extension cord and arc shaping question

Hey All, I have 2 questions:

Extension cord

I was just wondering , I'm runing my dx off a 50ft extension of SJ 10/3 cord with a 230v plug on one end and a 120v receptacle on the other and a 120v plug on the dynasty. I use the DX mostly on the 230v. Is that cord setup ok?

Arc Shaping

So I took a stab and deviated from the recommened frequency of 110-120hz on aluminum as I was havinghuge problems trying to get the arc focused in a corner joint(or I think it's called a T joint). I tried moving the HZ up to 138-145hz and wow! I could actually point the arc where I wanted instead of having it bounce from side to side. Now maybe this is a result of my novice tungsten grinding but that sure does help a lot!

Now is there any way I can change the arc shape on DC? Or is this just an AC feature?

Thanks for the help
Working...
X