TIG welding SS to solid brass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG welding SS to solid brass

Can they be welded together? I need to weld a hinge onto a gate. The gate is SS and the hinge is solid brass. On the packaging of the hinge it says it solid brass and also says it's brushed satin nickel.
    Millermatic 251
    Miller Syncrowave 180 sd
    Lincoln Pro-Cut 55
    Oxy/Acetylene

I think brass has a lot of Zinc, so it will have a tendency to boil out under the arc and make a white mess in addition to being really bad for you.

I've managed to weld copper alloys and steel together, but I'd be reticent about depending on the joint. Probably silicon bronze filler is your best bet, and put the heat into the hinge.

It's going to be a tricky weld.
    BigDTig, Dallas, Texas
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Coolmate III Cooler
    Miller Spectrum 125C
    Ellis 1600 Band Saw
    Ellis 9400 Drill Press

Comment

Thanks! I just needed to make sure cause I wanted try and use hinges I already had. I'm gonna go shop for some SS hinges.
      Millermatic 251
      Miller Syncrowave 180 sd
      Lincoln Pro-Cut 55
      Oxy/Acetylene

Comment

I think BigD is right. I would have to look at the books but you might want to get you a scrap piece of both bases and try something until it works. After you try the silicon bronze try grade 5 braze wire, it is for ss to brass, copper, bronze.
        like my daddy always said, "IF YOUR GONNA BE STUPID YOU GOTTA BE TUFF"

Comment

If you can braze it then CROWN'S Royal 120fc nickle brazing rod will work for the Brass to S.S. , this is what i use on shop air line to go from S.S. to copper or brass.

Comment

Working...
          X