X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leons2003
    started a topic OT-Fraud

OT-Fraud

I have spent an agonizing week. Saturday going through the mail there was two mailings from my bank indicating on my mad money account(used for E-pay, parts, welding supplies, etc)that overdraft protection had to to be used for several checks, seven to be exact. I'm asking myself, where in the world did I write so many large checks, then I noticed the check nos., 2700 series versus 2500 that I'm in. Made it to the bank before the lobby closed, talked to one of the tellers about these checks were not mine, she brought up the account on the pooter and sure enough not my signature nor can I write that sloppy especially after 31+yrs as a draftsman. **** thing had my driving license no. and DOB. The bogus checks were almost an exact dupe of mine with some edits and eliminations. Looks like the checks were passed in Lousiana at of course several places(6) in a single day, 14 checks over a period of maybe two weeks totaling $7300+. Well Monday was a holiday, **** I'm not doing well that day. Tuesday I show up at the bank to see what the teller did with her conversation with their accounting, well she is running late so I talked to the branch VP, she looks up the account and discovers the other checks. They put a stop payment on any checks over a certain no. and I ordered new checks, she said maybe they could issue a late return for the canceled checks. I called Equifax and put a fraud flag on my account, which the gal said the the three credit bureau's have a reciprocating agreement that if one is notified of such all three will have the same info., no credit card issuing without a call to me to varify.
    Well, I checked my account at ~1:00PM yesterday and the greenbacks were back in my account, what a relief, I feel much better now to say the least.
    Sorry to carry on so, but wanted to warn all of our forum mates to pay attention to your bank accounts, credit card billing, and such.
    Good luck
    L*S

• tigman250
    replied
    all of my internet transactions are done through PayPal wich i am glad to see is (farily) safe.

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    Originally posted by CarmenElectrode

Actually, we put together a guide to "safe" online shopping... a PDF download. It is admitedly Arc-Zone centric but there is some good information, and all the bureaus and phone numbers you need if you are the victim of fraud:

Joe Welder's Guide to Online Safety

Hope that helps...
    That was interesting. The part about debit cards exposeing youre bank acount to theives and not being federally protected like the credit cards suprized me. Also the virtual credit card, never heard of them before.

Leave a comment:

• drscotch
    replied
    I check my credit cards online all the time. A few years ago I noticed a bunch of small charges for cab rides, restraunts, etc.. The crooks know the card billing cycles and they hope to run a bunch of stuff through before you get your statment in the mail and complain. Check your account online as often as you can!

Leave a comment:

• CarmenElectrode
    replied
    A few years ago I worked at a company that was hit... someone made fake checks, forged a signature and cashed in. I can tell having worked in a bank... and from that experience, that unless someone complains, or the check is over a certain amount, they really don't check signatures.

And now with the new law that lets banks send electronic copies to the Federal Reserve to cash, which allows banks to process $$ more quickly, you can only expect fraud will also happen more quickly as well.

So always check your bank statements!! and I too have one credit card that I use only for online purchases...

Actually, we put together a guide to "safe" online shopping... a PDF download. It is admitedly Arc-Zone centric but there is some good information, and all the bureaus and phone numbers you need if you are the victim of fraud:

Joe Welder's Guide to Online Safety

Hope that helps...

Leave a comment:

• burninbriar
    replied
    I dont put any kind of money info at all on my computer for fear of hackers and what not. If I find something on the internet that I want and they dont have a fone number that I can call and order , I dont deal with them.
    I know my credit card info eventually end up on a computer any way but at least I eliminate the weakest link, mine. At least I hope the people I deal with have better protection than me. I dont know that much about these things , thats why I dought myself.

Leave a comment:

• lgjhn
    replied
    Have been hit twice in the last two years: once on my debit card and once on a credit card. We traced this recent one back to Amazon.com (only purchase made with that card in over 6 months). I filed a complaint and it appears they have some "shady" employees working there that like **** as they bought about $500 worth of **** material.... I got the card cancelled and the money back, but what a pain in the butt..... We also suspect that the other one happened thru Amazon as well, but couldn't prove it for sure....no more Amazon.com here.

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    Awhile back there was a large data hack from one of the credit card processors. One of my cards was in the bunch. Two charges the same day, one for $2500 and one for $5000 to two different Wall Street firms in NYC for the purchase of bearer bonds! Lucky for us, the credit card company's standard account surveillance systems picked up the "unusual" transactions, and they didn't honor them; we didn't get hurt other than being inconvenienced.

The world we live in has become a harder place than when I was a young man, I'll tell ya!

Hank

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by garybdavis
    Good to hear your bank stood by you.
    It was Wells Fargo. They ain't the greatest for sure, just a blind, endless monstrosity of bureaucracy; but I guess they deserve a plug for doing me good on that.

Good idea about a separate account for making Internet purchases.

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    Originally posted by MAC702
    It's only getting worse. The only hit we've had so far is someone using our debit card info to order $100 of **** videos and had them shipped to an address that didn't even exist. You know the video people probably did it all on their own. The bank gave me back my money, but didn't bother even trying to investigate for that small amount, I guess.
    Having been a victom of fraud before, do what I did.

Set up a seperate account for ebay and make sure it has no overdraft protectiton. You can usually get a free checking about for this purpose.
    When you want to use it, just log on (or use the auto teller) and transfer funds into it. I keep very little money in that account on a normal day.

Good to hear your bank stood by you.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    It's only getting worse. The only hit we've had so far is someone using our debit card info to order $100 of **** videos and had them shipped to an address that didn't even exist. You know the video people probably did it all on their own. The bank gave me back my money, but didn't bother even trying to investigate for that small amount, I guess.

Leave a comment:

• pullerguy
    replied
    Leon, Thanks for the heads up. Glad you got your money back just think if you didn't catch it in time. good luck, Al

Leave a comment:

Working...
X