X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBFab
    replied
    I'll Never own another chopsaw

burrs on cut edges, hot parts, sparks, noise, yea I know its part of the job but I purchased a Milwaukee porta-band and it is worth its weight in gold. I'll never buy another chopsaw again, It takes a little practice but you can get clean straight cuts with a porta-band in the same time as a chopsaw if not less, without much noise.

Leave a comment:

• halbritt
    replied
    I've not used a bunch of different chopsaws extensively, but I have the Ridgid and like it very much. I compared it side-by-side with the DeWalt, Makita, and Milwaukee and decided that I preferred the design of the Ridgid. I can't say that it's any better in practice, though.

Leave a comment:

• jud
    replied
    I have to weigh in the side of Ridgid. I bought mine a few months ago and think it's great. Solid base, nice handle and enough power.

Leave a comment:

• wrongwayfc
    replied
    I own a milwaukee and the cast base is nice and strong but I don't like how its kind of to narrow. I used a DEWALT heavy duty which had a really WIDE base and it was nice. I think the DEWALT even at 15amps had a little more juice. But both are good.

Leave a comment:

• pgk
    replied
    Paul,

I have a Dewalt, that has aprox. six cuts on it. It's like new, if your interested let me know. kurtsapp@journey.com

Pete

Leave a comment:

• WyoRoy
    replied
    Slightly more than off-topic, but still relevent...
    If you live/work near a railroad, be on the lookout for used chop saw blades along the right-of-way. The rail gangs use a 16" blade with the same size arbor as a 14" chopsaw blade on a gasoline powered demo-saw. Once they wear down to unusable diameter for track work they end up in the ditch. I've been using them successfully for years until going to a 3 hp 10" saw and band saws. Stand clear of the blade on initial start-up...just as you normally would. Never have had one of the "found" blades blow, but its a good idea to check them out. My inventory of chop saw blades is measured in feet instead of individual numbers. Around here they use good quality Norton blades. Other than the two blades that originally came with my chopsaw, I've never purchased another blade.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Paul:
    My vote is for the DeWalt DW871, mine is great 2 years old and none better.

Good luck,

Leave a comment:

• precisionworks
    replied
    I think blade choice makes a little difference, too.
    Without a doubt

14" chop saws have no great deal of power, so a premium blade really does outperform the generics. The one I run is the Norton Charger Freecut (14 x 7/64 x 1) with UPC # 66253306624. About $10 each (in full box quantity of ten) from AirGas, or about $14 most anywhere:
    http://secure.data-comm.com/RBIS/Detail.bok?no=65580
    http://secure.data-comm.com/RB/Detail.bok?no=122889

Good performance on mild steel, stainless, hardened steels, rebar, etc. Last practically forever.

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    The better milwaukee or better dewalt i would recomend. Ive punished my milwaukee for over 15yrs now (not really)and it runs like new yet, but i do maintain it. Im pretty sure all the new milwaukee tools have a 5yr warranty.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Cataldo
    replied
    Well fellas,
    Looks like I might try the Milwaukee IF I even buy the chopsaw. I may have him just buy me a couple Milwaukee angle grinders instead.
    I've always been leary of buying a chopsaw, as I know they don't work nearly as well as a Cold Saw does, and IF I had the funds, I'd buy a Dake or Scotchman cold saw and never look back....

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    I picked up some HF 14"s to give a shot (three of them). Sounds like they're not worth what I spent huh? I've been pleased with dewalts 14" blades as well as nortons. I usually buy whatever's cheapest in a good quality brand. Tried the higher priced ones and didn't see enough improvement to warrant the additional cost.

I've been reasonably pleased with the performance of HF's 4.5" cutoff wheels. I wish they'd go on sale as often as the stupid 4" ones do (less blade changing). For 1/4 the cost of a Norton and 1/6 the cost of Sait's - I really can't complain. I burned through sait 5" disks as fast as I did the nortons when I was using the bigger grinder. Spending an extra buck each was money wasted.

I've been pushing the 4.5"s pretty hard lately just to see how long the D28112will keep speed in a cut, and it's been confidence inspiring in both the grinder and the blades.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Life is easy, get a Hitachi, Metabo, Makita, or Milwaukee and you'll be fine. Anything less than the best will work, to a degree.

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    Originally posted by Bulldog
    I have a Ridgid bought it new last year. I have run about 5 blades and it burnt up.In my opinion there junk. I respect Mac alot and he seems to have had good luck with his so maybe I got a lemon or maybe I pushed down a little hard on that nice D handle. Did I mention that I blew the 20 amp breaker alot!
    Thanks for the compliment. I had a plumber friend on a jobsite that was cutting pipe with a chop saw. He kept blowing the 20A breaker, so I ran him a dedicated, large-wire cable and put him on a 30A circuit. He kept blowing that one, too, so I watched him make a cut. He still doesn't understand why I was shaking my head as he was pushing the saw as hard as he could to make the cut...

Not saying that's what you were doing, but you reminded me of a good laugh I had last year.

I think blade choice makes a little difference, too. I like the thinner blades that don't last as long but cut faster and more easily. They also flex more, so I keep thicker blades for doing miters. And ALWAYS buy high quality blades, like Norton, DeWalt, almost anything that's not Harbor Freight's house brand.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Paul,
    I have a Ridgid bought it new last year. I have run about 5 blades and it burnt up.In my opinion there junk. I respect Mac alot and he seems to have had good luck with his so maybe I got a lemon or maybe I pushed down a little hard on that nice D handle. Did I mention that I blew the 20 amp breaker alot!
    Good luck,
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• MAC702
    replied
    I have the Ridgid from Home Depot and really like it. I wanted the DeWalt because my power tools are DeWalts, but they only carried the Ryobi, Ridgid, and something in between as far as price-point goes. I really prefer the D-style handle; it's a much more comfortable grip while using in most positions. I have the DeWalt DW872 Multi-Cutter (don't suppose your boss will swing for that one?) and it has the good handle, too.

Anyway, I'm really happy with the Ridgid, except it doesn't match the DeWalts in the truck. The clamp is pretty decent, and I was surprised to see that it miters both directions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X