Cutting Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Holes

I am building a custom dashboard for my M37/Cummins 4x4. I need to cut 8 holes 2.06" and 1 hole 3.750". I have Plasma and a circle cutter but worry just a twitch and I have a big Oooops. There is no one I can locate in Northern NY that has CNC Lazer or Water Jet. Any suggestions how you would cut the holes. The Material is 16ga cold rolled sheet.

Thanks
    Paul

yes, use a whole saw, 2" and 3 3/4", use a dremel or file for the extra 50 thou
    hre

Comment

be carefull with hole saws. they often cut the hole a bit larger than the bit says it will. example = 1" cutter, 1. 105" hole

Comment

Just curious, what are you doing on the dash board that requires that kind of precision. Most instruments fit rather loose and the bezzle covers the cut.
        Maybe a picture of what youre working on. Sounds interesting.
        To all who contribute to this board.
        My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

my post should read: get two good quality hole saws, one at 2" and one at 3 and 3/4" BTW, what kind of gauges are you using that need holes down to the .001? Every gauge I have ever done has had clamps and a bevel ring that will hide imperfections up to 3/16" of an inch just fine.
          hre

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
            Just curious, what are you doing on the dash board that requires that kind of precision. Most instruments fit rather loose and the bezzle covers the cut.
            Maybe a picture of what youre working on. Sounds interesting.
            great minds think alike
            hre

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke
              my post should read: get two good quality hole saws, one at 2" and one at 3 and 3/4" BTW, what kind of gauges are you using that need holes down to the .001? Every gauge I have ever done has had clamps and a bevel ring that will hide imperfections up to 3/16" of an inch just fine.
              I see we had the same thought. I was thinking that the bezzle peice might be what he is making. You could also scribe the cut with a compas and use a hole saw 1/8" or more smaller and then grind out to the scribe lines. 16 guage material can even be brought down pretty quick with a 1/4 round fowl.

Pureox OA
              Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

I like these.
                Attached Files

Comment

Welp being as Scott missed the opportunity to plug his machine, I wont ! Just buy one of these. I can influence the numbers, and cut with in .007
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck
                    Welp being as Scott missed the opportunity to plug his machine, I wont ! Just buy one of these. I can influence the numbers, and cut with in .007
                    I want to see that Cummings on your table. Really the Greenlee punches
                    would cut aluminum that thick but it would be a bit much for MS.

Comment

The gages are Auto Meter. VDO also lists the same sizes.
                      the 2 1/16 gage shows a body size of 2.06" and the Trim Ring 2.28"
                      The 3 3/8" gage body is 3.34" and the trim ring 3.81" Sorry for the typo in the first post, NOT 3.750" but shoud read 3.34" Looks like a good quality hole saw. I do have some Greenlee Punches, but not in the sizes I need.

Pictures of the project at;
                      http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/m37project

My last project that I took to Labrador this past summer is
                      http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/1943dodgecarryall

and since its a cold night here are the pictures of the 1943 Dodge doing Trans Labrador 2005

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/translabrador2005

Paul

Comment

Pile Buck, thats the machine I need. Must be a dream to own.

Paul

Comment

Looks like a great project, I'm envious to the max. Looks like you have a good grip on enjoying life.
                          Oh yea, thanks for the pictures.

Pureox OA
                          Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by KS2K
                            Pile Buck, thats the machine I need. Must be a dream to own.

Paul
                            Well if that was a 325-hp, or better yet the motor home class Cummins engine you had. And you would be willing to abort the idea of installing it in that old Dodge, and drop it in my 2004 F-550 I would give you this machine, with the Hypertherm 1250 plasma, computer, and water tank

Comment

Originally posted by KS2K
                              The gages are Auto Meter. VDO also lists the same sizes.
                              the 2 1/16 gage shows a body size of 2.06" and the Trim Ring 2.28"
                              The 3 3/8" gage body is 3.34" and the trim ring 3.81" Sorry for the typo in the first post, NOT 3.750" but shoud read 3.34" Looks like a good quality hole saw. I do have some Greenlee Punches, but not in the sizes I need.

Pictures of the project at;
                              http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/m37project

My last project that I took to Labrador this past summer is
                              http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/1943dodgecarryall

and since its a cold night here are the pictures of the 1943 Dodge doing Trans Labrador 2005

http://imageevent.com/moosecreekmaple/translabrador2005

Paul

Paul glad you are still around. Have you used those Goggles yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X