X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rvannatta
    replied
    rig photo

Here I have attached a photo of the mounting of our Bobcat in our mechanics truck. Many mechanics set the welder 'on the rail' as I call it-- or on top the box on the left side, since the right side is taken up with the crane storage. To me as high as the boxes are, it seems like it would make the
    truck pretty top heavy. The compromise here sets it crossways but elevates it somewhat. This allows you to load stuff under it.

A hydraulic drive aircompressor and air tank are sitting crossways in front of the welder. The hydraulic tank is also down there so you have to crawl under the welder to add hydraulic oil.

The frustration is that you either have to have a ladder against the out side of the truck to reach the welder controls or you have to climb in the back of the truck.

In some rigs the welder will be dropped to the floor in the front and the back cut out of one of the side compartments so you can access the face of the welder behind a 'box door'. That was not an option here since the compressor is built into the truck and has the front position.

You can also see why we don't have a diesel welder in this unit. All of them are over 4 feet long and wouldn't fit.

I"m not quite sure of te age of this bobcat.-- its one of the older 16 hp kind.

Don't ask WHY I hve 4/0 welding leads on it?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    interesting, good to know.

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalsmoke
    you have 2 sets of frame rails?
    The frame is doubled between the front and rear axles. The outer ones fits over the inner ones. Many trucks are that way. Sorta like laying a 8 inch channel in a 10 inch channel.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    you have 2 sets of frame rails?

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    Originally posted by admweld
    I doubt twice the frame i,m carrying 16,800 on my truck all day dodges frame is not that much thicker if at all.
    My truck is a chevy 3500HD, the frame is doubled between front and rear axles. As u can see from the pic the outer frame is 11 inches deep. Also there is more rugged crossmembers too. Take a look at a F-550 cab chassis frame and u will see for yourself.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    That 15.5 is mostly around town, lots of hills. I'm not sure what the highway economy would be, probably pretty close to the same.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Originally posted by admweld
    I doubt twice the frame i,m carrying 16,800 on my truck all day dodges frame is not that much thicker if at all.

Funny looking Dodge.
    Looks just like a red Chebby.

JTMcC.

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalsmoke
    Well, you could put a nice inline 6 Cummins in it. What is your weight right now? I'm getting 15.5mpg at 10,650lbs no complaints from me, and good grunt power too.
    Im almost 13,000lbs i think. I put 3000lbs of sand on it one time and it didnt seem to affect the truck much. This truck has twice the frame of a F-550 i noticed when i was truck shopping 4yrs ago. Im getting 8 mpg in town, dont know my highway mpg. My driving is mostly city so a diesel wouldnt be a good choice for me. But i have an automatic trans now.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Originally posted by garybdavis
    Thanks for putting up with the questions. I'd love some close up pictures.
    It might take me a while, but I will do it.

JTMcC.

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    Originally posted by JTMcC
    1/0 lead. 125' of each, ground and stinger.

Oxy/acy quick connects, Koike brand, available online from ramweldingsupply.

Ask all you want I don't mind. I'll get some close up detailed pictures if I get a chance.

JTMcC.
    Thanks for putting up with the questions. I'd love some close up pictures.

I purposely bolted down the cable rack I put on my welding trailer because I wanted to make a set of reels for it, but hadn't finished researching it. I knew I didn't want cable reels with electrical connections because of the maintenance issue. I also wanted the electric, act/oxy, and welding reels to be the same size. Yours are the closest I've found to what I'm going to do.

Leave a comment:

• JTMcC
    replied
    Originally posted by garybdavis
    JTMcC,
    I promise this is the last set of questions regarding your reels.

What size welding cable do you have rolled up and how long are they?
    For the act/oxy hoses, are you using stand pneumatic quick disconnects?

Thanks!
    1/0 lead. 125' of each, ground and stinger.

Oxy/acy quick connects, Koike brand, available online from ramweldingsupply.

Ask all you want I don't mind. I'll get some close up detailed pictures if I get a chance.

JTMcC.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Well, you could put a nice inline 6 Cummins in it. What is your weight right now? I'm getting 15.5mpg at 10,650lbs no complaints from me, and good grunt power too.

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    The 1965 SA-200 is on my truck because its bullet proof and has an arc second to none. I use it for pipe welding and other critical apps. The Ranger is used for everything else like Tig, Mig, Stick, and as power plant. I can use either machine for air arcing. Ive never needed over 300 amps for the welding i do, so im happy with what i have. (It took 20yrs to get where im at now). Now if i just could figure out how to get 15 miles a gallon out of my truck, it has the 502 cubic inch engine.

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    Where were all these pictures when I was working on my welding trailer? I have to agree, have a picture gallery would be nice. It gives others ideas and I just enjoy looking at the way other folks do things.

JTMcC,
    I promise this is the last set of questions regarding your reels.

What size welding cable do you have rolled up and how long are they?
    For the act/oxy hoses, are you using stand pneumatic quick disconnects?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X