X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by Rvannatta
    However now it looks like most of their models use a hydrualic boom perhaps electric over hydrualic.
    That would make good sense, considering that the price of these hydraulic power packs keeps dropping. I wonder if anyone has ever figured out that every vehicle with power steering has a built in hydraulic pump ready for the using. The best part is it already has its own limit system, mind you, the pressures are lower, more like 1500-1700psi, so that's probably why I don't see them being used. It sure beats the cost of plumbing in a wet kit and the occasional use on it wouldn't accelerate the wear too much. Rv, do you know if those cranes run at a standard 3000psi or are they higher than that to minimize cylinder size?

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalsmoke
    That's something else. I went and checked out their website and they have some nice stuff.
    I had wondered why they called the company 'autocrane' until I read that.
    It also explains why they make a lot of electric cranes.

Some people like the electric crane even on a service truck. They have an advantage that you can use them off the battery and not always have to have your truck running. The electric solution is not my choice because the motors are spendy when you toast one---and for some reason I just don't like the appearance of those with a cable gantry (needed if you are lifting the boom with an electric winch). However now it looks like most of their models use a hydrualic boom perhaps electric over hydrualic.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Well, if you read the company history of Autocrane, the company got its start making folding cranes that would mount in the trunk of a Cadillac so the rig guys could get drill bits out of the trunk.
    That's something else. I went and checked out their website and they have some nice stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    most of the places I go have room for lowbeds and everything that comes in on them, so parking should be fine. Sbi1, now we are talking. Peterbilt with sleeper with big service body. I'd have room for an air pak and a 300pipe pro, with lots of room to spare. Add an optional trailer for loading broken machines or implements with that crane and I'm good to go. The Peterbilt 357 which is in your first link is perfect for the job because of it's rugged conventional chassis made to handle heavy off-highway use.

Fun, I can just imagine it now, rolling up to an oil field in a class A motor home with the back half as a big welding deck. The good old boys there wouldn't stop laughing for hours
    Well, if you read the company history of Autocrane, the company got its start making folding cranes that would mount in the trunk of a Cadillac so the rig guys could get drill bits out of the trunk.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    most of the places I go have room for lowbeds and everything that comes in on them, so parking should be fine. Sbi1, now we are talking. Peterbilt with sleeper with big service body. I'd have room for an air pak and a 300pipe pro, with lots of room to spare. Add an optional trailer for loading broken machines or implements with that crane and I'm good to go. The Peterbilt 357 which is in your first link is perfect for the job because of it's rugged conventional chassis made to handle heavy off-highway use.

Fun, I can just imagine it now, rolling up to an oil field in a class A motor home with the back half as a big welding deck. The good old boys there wouldn't stop laughing for hours

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    oh shoure thouse would be fine if ya want it to look like a work truck.

i like the ideal of the white bed on the yellow cab, now that would do the trick. although it would take about 20 years to pay off

oh ya and then theres still the parking isue

Leave a comment:

• Sbi1
    replied
    Maybe that body on this chassis (http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...0C3F20FA3DB28A)

Leave a comment:

• Sbi1
    replied
    (http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...0C3F20FA3DB28A) This what you want, Coalsmoke? No sleeper, but it has already got the welder deck behind the cab. I'd like one too, but it wouldn't fit in the driveway at 95% of the places I have to go.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    well i dont know i supose it would be ok for starters but there shoure seems like it still needs a lot of work, shoot just look at all the mods you have to do just ta get comefy seems like there must be a better starter.

maybee one of thease http://www.safarimotorcoaches.com/ i think with the right floor plan you could easily cut open the back 1/4 and put a few tools in there and you would be good to go

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    COALSMOKE if i ever hit the lottery that will be my truck but wishful thinking i,m sure.i saw that photo in a magazine nice rig .plenty of room too.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    what that truck is missing is the sleeper unit and a galley. then you can sleep on the job 'til it is done. You got a good generator to run to power the galley and keep the coffee pot hot.
    Rv, I was actually looking for a picture with one, but couldn't dig one up. You are right, I want the sleeper too, with a little fridge and microwave and tv and little flip down table for the coffee pot (already got a little portable tv in my truck, makes waiting seem like nothing). Right now if need be I will just pack a sleeping bag and let the truck idle through the night with the exhaust brake on (to keep the cyl. temps up), but I really wish I had a little sleeper. I might have to just get an Espar heater once I can justify the cost, but for now it only costs me about $10-15can in fuel for a night of idling vs the $900 or so for a new Espar., which still uses 1/2 the fuel that the Cummins does on idle.

Leave a comment:

• Rvannatta
    replied
    I think next time I'm going to start with one of these (in a Peterbilt of course) and then go from there
    what that truck is missing is the sleeper unit and a galley. then you can sleep on the job 'til it is done. You got a good generator to run to power the galley and keep the coffee pot hot.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now
    or at least close enough there are only miner modification needed as they will likely be made ongoing as the jobs dictate. being welder modifying is just part of the job.
    I think next time I'm going to start with one of these (in a Peterbilt of course) and then go from there
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    and of course we all think that our truck is set up the best.
    i think you all do have your truck set up best for that persons dayly use

that being said with all thease ideals to work with the new guys starting out will have the combined nolage of all the rest to hopefully get it right the first time or at least close enough there are only miner modification needed as they will likely be made ongoing as the jobs dictate. being welder modifying is just part of the job.

lots of great ideals to work with here.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Nice welding rigs Adams welding and Shield arc to name a few, My F-550 weighs 16,680 LBS before I put steel on the rack or decide to haul my John Deer tractor with two 4' x 8' x 1/2 " thick steel road plates out to the job.
    I estimate that I haul around 26,000 lbs at times and my F-550 takes it pretty well ( even with the small frame) Im just not very fast off the lights.
    As for fuel economy, I dont want to know it already hurts enouph when I shell out $ 75.00 every time I stop for fuel.
    My buddy Vern said he gets about 6 miles to the gallon with his new 4500 chevy with a gas motor and his rig weighs the same as mine.
    The pictures are good, it gives the new guys ideas on how to build a truck and of course we all think that our truck is set up the best.
    That big Blue 500 looks good sitting on that truck, does it do a good job of running hard wire, back in 1989 I bought the Miller Big 40 with the constant voltage option and a couple years after owning it I decided to run wire and found out that it was strictly a arc and tig machine.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X