young welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's gonna fill their shoes

makes me want to sing some good ole George Jones.
    Boys hang in there and learn all you can while your mind is still like a sponge and capable of soaking it up. At my age I can read or be shown something and then the next day I've done forgot. Short term memory loss. I was gonna tell you something else but i forgot what it was*LOL*
    Nice to see younger people interested in the trade..so many young people now days just want to party and get druged up and to lazy to even think about learning how to weld.
    Regards, Farris
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Comment

Originally posted by 3faze
      Those are some very nice tig welds. How many years have you been tig welding? I've definatly got some more work to do before my welds begin to look as good as yours do.

I have read quite a few welding books and I have millers welding books on tig, welding essentials, finches book and a hobart tig book. Do you know of anyother good tig books? I am mainly looking for a book that is advanced and talks more about the practical side of welding thatn the theoretical side of welding?

I'm hoping that a book like this would bring my tig to the next level.

Thanks again
      been tig welding for almost 8 yrs, and learned the hard way....self taught. someone showed me how to turn on a tig machine and let me in on the secret about welding aluminum on AC and steel on DC the rest i learned on my own. i do not recomend this approach as it takes much more time. i don't believe there is any magic book that will teach you to tig weld (it sounds like you have a good start with your choice of reading material already) a couple of years and many hours spent behind a hood is all you need!

Good Luck, and most of all have fun!
      Craig
      The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

hey three pase, i'm not certified but we are not just a welding shop we are mostley a hitch and trailer shop and there is no school to go to to become a hitch or trailier guy so I don't have to be cetified. The only one who is certified is a old guy in hid 60's everyone else is not.

Comment

So would you guys say that a majority of people that work in fabrication shops are not certified?

I was under the impression that to work in a fabrication shop you pretty much had to be certified.

A couple of years ago my parents bought me my first welder, and it was a lincoln electric machine. I'm pretty sure none of you have ever heard about this machine because I think lincoln was too embarased to put it on their website. Anyway this machine costs about 150 and they are pretty hard to find, I think you can buy them at canadian tire. This machine is stuck on 50 amps output, they only switch on dial on it is the on/off switch. It is called Hobby Weld and the code number is K1790-1. Its just a little ac transformer that has a 50 amp 25 volt fixed output that it 20% dutycycle. In the manual it says the required input power is 15 amps but trust me I tripped a 15 amp breaker many times.

It was my first welder and I could hardly use it because I kept tripping the breaker (from the manual) The max electrde it could run was either 1/16 or 5/64 and the maximum metal thickness it could weld was 14 ga steel Perfect for autobody

I didn't have much luck with this unit because i was running 3/32 6013 I bit to big for 50 amps. I took it apart to see if it was a multitap transformer and maybe I could get some more power out of it but unfortunatly this machine is stuck on 50 amps

Eventually I just bought an oxyacet setup and now this little stick welder is dead weight.

I wasn't sure if any of you are familliar with this machine.

If you want to see a picture search google images type in Hobby weld and you will probibly see the little 115 volt machine.

Thanks again for all your help everyone

Comment

Originally posted by 3faze
            I think that if a 15 year old walked into a shop and showed the shop his transcript I think that they would just point to the door. Also most shops are looking for experience workers.
            There may be legal reasons that they can't hire you till you're 16...but aside from that, you may find something where you can get in as shop labor and get opportunities to weld. Take opportunities to weld on breaks or stay late to do some small home projects. The guys will all check out what you do, and word will get around. In time, the boss will likely let you start welding on some other things in the shop.

It's often hard to just find people that will work. If the shop manager sees your willingness to learn and work, he may jump on the chance to hire you.

Comment

Just do it

Young man I think its cool what you did, Me myself I was lucky enough
              to have a father and a grandfather who was welders and the took me under
              there wing when I was 7 years old. By the time I was fourteen I was welding
              mining equipment, The most important thing I can tell you is read as much as
              possible and just keep your mouth closed and your ears open and youll do fine. Its just I admire young guys like you because most kids these days cant
              throw down the video games to learn anything.

Hey Im a new member guys and Ive used true blue for 14 years now
              they brought in the new 210 migs last year but I keep my 200 old school
              going on year 14 now ant it cool.

Comment

Do any of you guys know if you can still buy mig guns for the old old Millermatic 35? I aquired one for my boss because i've been bugging him to sell it to me for a year and a bit now, so he gave it to me for free and bought a 251. I also need consumables for the gun(tips, nozzles, liners ect.) Thanks.

----------------
                mm 135
                mm 251
                mm 35
                AL 230 ac dc
                Victor O/A torch
                Sync. 200
                maxstar. 150sth

Comment

hey 3 paze whrere abouts do u live, I'm guessing Canada.... am I right, if u live in B.C. tidy tanks is hiring welder Fabricators. My bro went to apply there but they said he had to 15 to work there and he is only 13.

Comment

I live in Ontario, but I wished I lived in BC.

Thanks for all the advice

Comment

I'm also a young welder. Me and my dad recently put in 240 in my garage so I could use my neighbors matchbox Lincoln welder. This year, grade 10, I took just a basic shop class. We learning safety and the basics of the 3 types of welding. I have alot more to learn and I want to expand my skills. If anyone in Houston knows of any shop hiring some extra help let me know. I turn 16 in May, just in time for summer. I would love a shop job so I can get more hands on experience with welding and maybe learn something from the older welders around.
                      Thanks.
                      Erik
                      Old Lincoln 225 AMP SMAW machine.

Comment

Young welders

In my useless opinion you are never too young to learn a good skill. I dont know how it is in canada, but you should look for a shop that will let you come by after school and help out. Cutting stock, stacking shelves, anything they will let you do. It is all experience and can only do you good. They may even teach you to weld better or watch you and give you pointers. There are many things to learn in a weld/ fab shop welding is only part of it. It is good to hear there are still kids out there who want to learn a skill. most anymore want you to pay them to learn anything.
                        Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
                        Hypertherm 30A Plasma
                        Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn B
                          In my useless opinion you are never too young to learn a good skill. I dont know how it is in canada, but you should look for a shop that will let you come by after school and help out. Cutting stock, stacking shelves, anything they will let you do. It is all experience and can only do you good. They may even teach you to weld better or watch you and give you pointers. There are many things to learn in a weld/ fab shop welding is only part of it. It is good to hear there are still kids out there who want to learn a skill. most anymore want you to pay them to learn anything.
                          yup there's a couple shops around here that I can think of that would take a 16yo helper with a decent brain and attitude. Lots of semi-standard prep work in railing shops and similar places. Try them. Just remember, if you find a bad shop that doesn't have any regard for your safety, its ok to high-tail it out of there.
                          hre

Comment

Welding jobs for young weldors

A decent start for an ambitious and hard working young lad would be to sign on as an apprentice to a rig weldor. You will see and do a lot. The hours all count as time in the trade and continuous 12+ hour days really add up. The money is about the best you will see for a person of your age and job experience. You have to want to work though, a lot. Do you have a S.I.N. number yet?
                            Cheers,
                            Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

Cope and Eric Carroll got it right, I don't know of any state in the U.S. that will allow you to work in a welding business legally until you reach 18.
                              I don't think you can find a workmans comp carrier that would even allow anyone under 18 in the vicinity of welding work.
                              It's not just welding related activities, it's a broad range of power tool (and other) related jobs that are restricted to people over 18.

JTMcC

I'd be interested to know if there are any states that differ from the 18 year limit.
                              Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC

I'd be interested to know if there are any states that differ from the 18 year limit.
                                Up in Canada that age is 16.
                                hre

Comment

Working...
                                X