Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leeave96
    replied
    If you want a really nice CAD program, 3D solids with drafting - for FREE...

Go to http://www.alibre.com/xpress/

There you can download their CAD program for free. You can add additional capabilities for additional $$$.

I have used the full blown Alibre and find it a very good CAD program.

If you have any questions about this program, don't hesitate to ask. Welding, I know nothing about - CAD is something I have used for many moons.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• wb5jhy
    replied
    Originally posted by 2JZfan
    can BobCAD be used to design a 3D part and then generate some kind of standard code that the machine shop can put into their CNC machines to actually make the part? I'm looking for something like that so I can save money on "design time" and then I'll know that it's exactly the dimensions that I'm looking for, etc.
    Sounds like you need a CAD (computer aided drafting) program). You don't need the CAM software since you are not programing the machine. You just want to draw your projects to scale to assist in design, layouts, changes, etc. If you get a program like AutoCad Lt you can go a long ways in providing the machine shop the geometry needed to program their machine to make your part. 3D programs are very handy too. Just be sure to get a program that outputs drawings in a format usable by the CAM package that the machine shop uses.
    CAM software outputs machine codes to operate specific machines based on the controller installed in the machine. The specific code formats are a little different between machines although virtually all use standard G-code commands. The specific instruction sets are called posts and are not 100% interchangeable between machines.

BobCad is a CADCAM package that does both functions. I've used the older versions and they were a bit difficult to use but they did work in that they output usable machine code. The newer (last 4 or 5 revisions)have been getting better easier to use. You can download the whole program to play but it just lasts a month or so in demo mode. Can't save anything either until you buy the package. You get a lot of software for such a little cost but maybe not the best for a newbie to computer drafting / machine programming.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    replied
    Originally posted by 2JZfan
    can BobCAD be used to design a 3D part and then generate some kind of standard code that the machine shop can put into their CNC machines to actually make the part? I'm looking for something like that so I can save money on "design time" and then I'll know that it's exactly the dimensions that I'm looking for, etc.
    yes, that is the CAM (computer aided machining) side of the software, it isn't quite as user friendly as the other brands that cost $30,000 but it does the same job for 1/100th the cost

Leave a comment:

• 2JZfan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BigDTig
    replied
    I use AC3D. Dirt cheap at about $60. I don't think it has truly pro features, but I like the 3D real-time render, because I see my ideas from top, front and left and when I draw them that way no one gets it. So, draw it that way in cad and out pops a 3D model people understand.

http://www.ac3d.org

Leave a comment:

• 505HotRod
    replied
    I have used Quick CAD 8 by Autodesk. It is only 2D and I bought it at Staples for $40. It can import and export Auto CAD files. DXF, DWG.

Leave a comment:

• 505HotRod
    replied
    I just purchased Version 20 and Bob Art Pro X.

Leave a comment:

• tigman250
    started a topic affordable CAD system

affordable CAD system

http://www.bobcad.com/ you can buy ver 19 for $299 call 1-727-442-3554 ask for Nate. it's a really nice system for the money. only down side is they are out of training cd's for ver 19, so you will have to read the manual to learn how to use it i had the fortune of using it at a previous employer's shop so i had an advantage.

if anyone needs any more info let me know!
    Craig
Working...
X