Table done, at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott V
    They are full size units. It's just big country.
    Look close because they are there.
    Iv'e seen that picture before, sure must be nice not to have any people living next door.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
      Thanks for the kind words, we will need photos of the cart and then the table when you get it done. Also I would like to know what size oven you need to power coat a tig cart, or is there another way to cure the paint? Powder coating seems a great deal to me but they wanted to charge me $100 to do a small project, something about the cost to fire up the oven, so I didn't do it.
      George, the powdercoating cost is primarily in the curing process....although some of those powders can get pretty pricing too. Most powders need to be cured at 385-400 degrees for about 20 minutes or so (depends on the specific manufacturer's powder)...and that is the temperature of the item that needs to be coated....not just the surrounding air temperature. You can tell when its "right" as the powder will start to melt and flow out smooth. So heating up a good-sized oven with a big chunck of steel in it costs some $$$. To do something like a motorcycle frame or a 4-wheeler frame takes some energy and would be in what I consider a large oven with probably 4-6 elements in it. Here, I plan on building my own ovens (3 of em once I'm done...small, medium & large). The first one will be what I would consider "medium-sized" and it will large enough to take a V8 engine block. Something about the size of this particular cart I'm working on would probaby just fit in there.
      Pics of that cart can be seen on the link below (the young lady in the picture is my wife and helper) and please don't laugh at my shabby work.... ...at least I didn't blame it on her... I had to go back an grind/redo a couple of those places in one of those pics where I tried TIG....I have since ground all that back off, went back to my smaller M-15 MIG gun and did it "my way". It is very obvious that my steel wasn't nearly as clean as yours and that was on purpose. I could have easily blasted all of the stock before starting, but I wanted to put that L56 wire to the test on that stuff. It blasted thru that scale pretty sweet. I took a small sledge and wailed on a couple of em pretty darn hard and couldn't get em to break off so I they're ok. This cart was made to hold one of those fine cutting cheapo chinese plasma cutters (my Miller plasma already is on a cart) and that new TA185 I bought a couple of weeks ago. Tried to keep the inverter stuff on that cart as I'm tired of tripping over leads etc.
      http://www.uniquefabs.com/gallery2/v/lgjhn/
      Once I have it cleaned up, blasted and painted, I had planned on posting some pics to the forum.... same with the table, except that steel will be done iwth my normal process and will be cleaned up pretty good before fabbing.... My camera isn't the greatest in the world either....mayb thats a good thing....

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
      Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
      Miller Spectrum 125C
      Victor O/A
      Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Me too

Originally posted by lgjhn
        George, the powdercoating cost is primarily in the curing process....although some of those powders can get pretty pricing too. Most powders need to be cured at 385-400 degrees for about 20 minutes or so (depends on the specific manufacturer's powder)...and that is the temperature of the item that needs to be coated....not just the surrounding air temperature. You can tell when its "right" as the powder will start to melt and flow out smooth. So heating up a good-sized oven with a big chunck of steel in it costs some $$$. To do something like a motorcycle frame or a 4-wheeler frame takes some energy and would be in what I consider a large oven with probably 4-6 elements in it. Here, I plan on building my own ovens (3 of em once I'm done...small, medium & large). The first one will be what I would consider "medium-sized" and it will large enough to take a V8 engine block. Something about the size of this particular cart I'm working on would probaby just fit in there.
        Pics of that cart can be seen on the link below (the young lady in the picture is my wife and helper) and please don't laugh at my shabby work.... ...at least I didn't blame it on her... I had to go back an grind/redo a couple of those places in one of those pics where I tried TIG....I have since ground all that back off, went back to my smaller M-15 MIG gun and did it "my way". It is very obvious that my steel wasn't nearly as clean as yours and that was on purpose. I could have easily blasted all of the stock before starting, but I wanted to put that L56 wire to the test on that stuff. It blasted thru that scale pretty sweet. I took a small sledge and wailed on a couple of em pretty darn hard and couldn't get em to break off so I they're ok. This cart was made to hold one of those fine cutting cheapo chinese plasma cutters (my Miller plasma already is on a cart) and that new TA185 I bought a couple of weeks ago. Tried to keep the inverter stuff on that cart as I'm tired of tripping over leads etc.
        Once I have it cleaned up, blasted and painted, I had planned on posting some pics to the forum.... same with the table, except that steel will be done iwth my normal process and will be cleaned up pretty good before fabbing.... My camera isn't the greatest in the world either....mayb thats a good thing....
        Hi, I'd like to build a powder coating room later on..if you don't mind I'll ask you questions on what all i will need.
        Thanks, Farris
        Gone But Never Forgotten!

Comment

Iv'e seen that picture before, sure must be nice not to have any people living next door.

George,
          you still have to fight off all the deer.

This is the view I am interested in.
          She just got power the other day. Three
          phase is right there and cheap but
          I could not get her to pull the trigger
          on that. She did buy a tractor though.
          Not the one I wanted but one thing at
          a time. It's a blue one, of all things!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fyoung
            Hi, I'd like to build a powder coating room later on..if you don't mind I'll ask you questions on what all i will need.
            Thanks, Farris
            No problem, Farris.... I've already done some over at a friend's house. He's using an old electric oven to do some small parts and brackets. I want to do some larger stuff and have the shop and the room to do it.
            You can email me at [email protected]. You will get an Auto-Spam message back, but just put something in the title so I know its you when I sort thru em.
            I'm also on Yahoo Messenger alot. ID is lgjhn and we could chat there at well.
            In the meantime, you can pick up a wealth of info on powdercoating and home-built ovens at:
            http://forum.caswellplating.com/
            LJ

MM210 w/3035 Spooler
            Stars & Stripes BWE signed by Andy

TA185TSW w/Miller Radiator 1
            Miller Spectrum 125C
            Victor O/A
            Parker Plasma 40

Comment

Originally posted by lgjhn
              Having a big problem with the SQLserver on that link, keeps getting disconnected. I tried to get thru using just www.uniquefabs.com ... no joy there either, maybe you know whats wrong here.
              Regards, George

Comment

George,
                you still have to fight off all the deer.

This is the view I am interested in.
                She just got power the other day. Three
                phase is right there and cheap but
                I could not get her to pull the trigger
                on that. She did buy a tractor though.
                Not the one I wanted but one thing at
                a time. It's a blue one, of all things!!
                Nice barn, I gotta find some way to move to the mountians that are in my back yard and that I'm on the wrong (populated) side of. When you getting to move there?
                Regards, George

Comment

Nice barn, I gotta find some way to move to the mountians that are in my back yard and that I'm on the wrong (populated) side of. When you getting to move there?

George,
                  this spring or summer. My house is in a slow resto-phase at the moment,
                  and when it's done I am out of here!!!

That is the populated side of the mountain.

You seen this haven't you? It's putting my plasma to work for me.
                  Attached Files

Comment

George,
                    this spring or summer. My house is in a slow resto-phase at the moment,
                    and when it's done I am out of here!!!

That is the populated side of the mountain.

Scott,

No I haven't seen that yet, very cool ... my wife is wanting some fish type stuff to mount on the walls around the pool. Problem is I still havn't decided on a plasma cutter ... I don't need a big one and I was thinking about the TD38 but I keep comming back to the spectrum 375 or Hobart 400 as I can get better service on either one of those here and can also get a good deal locally below any internet price I have seen. I almost have the money saved, I can't take the money from anywhere else so I am thinking of selling my Sharpie tungsten grinder to get the rest and go back to grinding on my mini grinder.
                    Regards, George

Comment

Sundown

my wife is wanting some fish type stuff
                      that should be a lot of fun to do, are you planing on drawing them your self or do you already have a plan???a book of scrol saw pattern would be good place to start looking for a desine. if you plan on drawing it your self it probly would be a good ideal to look at some scrole saw type work as it will help you to get the negative space thing under controle and getthe hang of leaving things slightly conected so they dont fall out leaving you with a big hole.
                      I keep comming back to the spectrum 375 or Hobart 400
                      i wish i had saved up a lil longer and gotten the spec375 insted of the spec125, not that i dislike the spec125 its done a great job and i love it just that the consumibals are less $$ for the spec375 than they are for the 125. a lil more cut would come in handy down the road also, but for now its doing fine. oh ya i also diidnt have any air when i got it so if i had gotten air first odds are the spec375 would have been my choice also.

Scott V
                      great looking porch accents, that will likely pay of come selling day
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

Just so you know George this is a Thermal machine cut at 40 amps on
                        .250 mild steel.

It's finish looks like a good laser cut.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Scott,

No I haven't seen that yet, very cool ... my wife is wanting some fish type stuff to mount on the walls around the pool. Problem is I still havn't decided on a plasma cutter ... I don't need a big one and I was thinking about the TD38 but I keep comming back to the spectrum 375 or Hobart 400 as I can get better service on either one of those here and can also get a good deal locally below any internet price I have seen. I almost have the money saved, I can't take the money from anywhere else so I am thinking of selling my Sharpie tungsten grinder to get the rest and go back to grinding on my mini grinder.
                          George, Someone has too spite Scott V. I don't seem to be able to do this very well anymore. With my SP 175+ and ESAB Migmaster 250, I 'm starting to look more like one of his groupies. And now he has me thinking about that darn PM 215. You know how my boy loves those red welders.

On a more serious note, I have the cousin (same unit different package) to the Miller and Hobart unit, which is Hypertherms Powermax 380, and it is a very good unit performance wise. I haven't ran the compariable TD unit, however I suspect its a darn good unit too. Flip a coin if you have to, in the end you'll have a quality unit no matter what route you take. I suspect Andy would like to see you go with the Miller unit though.

Comment

I can get better service on either one of those here and can also get a good deal locally below any internet price I have seen.

i cant think of any way to argue with that your on the right track with a statment like that

I am thinking of selling my Sharpie tungsten grinder to get the rest and go back to grinding on my mini grinder
                            although i understand, i realy hate to see a fela parting with any tool, he who dies with the most toys wins, and you are handy capping your self with a move like that.

all kidding aside i try to make selling any tool as a last resort, if you are any thing at all like me getting it was hard enough. try to keep it if ya can, once ya get the plasma cutter prity will be on the top of your list and TIG'ing will likely take on a higher priority. just some thing to think about.
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                            JAMES

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, we will need photos of the cart and then the table when you get it done. Also I would like to know what size oven you need to power coat a tig cart, or is there another way to cure the paint? Powder coating seems a great deal to me but they wanted to charge me $100 to do a small project, something about the cost to fire up the oven, so I didn't do it.
                              The best thing to do is try to sneak a piece in with a batch in progress! Usually you have a good chance if you stick with basic colors. I do some powder coating on a hobby basis, and I've had good results with the IR cure system. It definitely comes in handy with those large awkward pieces, it just takes awhile to completely cure them.
                              http://eastwood.com/shopping/product...iProductID=404

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                                George, Someone has too spite Scott V. I don't seem to be able to do this very well anymore. With my SP 175+ and ESAB Migmaster 250, I 'm starting to look more like one of his groupies. And now he has me thinking about that darn PM 215. You know how my boy loves those red welders.

On a more serious note, I have the cousin (same unit different package) to the Miller and Hobart unit, which is Hypertherms Powermax 380, and it is a very good unit performance wise. I haven't ran the compariable TD unit, however I suspect its a darn good unit too. Flip a coin if you have to, in the end you'll have a quality unit no matter what route you take. I suspect Andy would like to see you go with the Miller unit though.
                                Look over the SL-60 torch (60 amp) on the Thermal and notice it takes the same comsumables as the SL100 torch (100 amp). There is no swirl ring because it is built into the nozzle. (Thermal patent) I really like how far the arc starts from the plate with the Thermal torch setup. The Esab 1500 with
                                it's strong hi-freq might be the best in that area but the Thermal is really
                                close. I like the smaller Miller units pretty well in performance. Remember
                                with the Thermal you can drag cut at 40 amps (51 model) and use the exposed tip for following a template.

I still think waiting for the next Miller would be smart. I just know it's coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X