5052 and 6061 compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5052 and 6061 compatibility

I was just looking at a chart in my Tig book and it makes it look like these two alloys shouldn't be welded together? I have some machined 6061 pieces that I was going to weld to some 5052 sheetmetal, is that actually going to be a problem? I got the 5052 because it was supposed to be a good combination of strength and being able to be formed, and I used the 6061 because that's what the machine shop happened to have and I didn't know any better to tell them not to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Ask Andy

I don't consider myself an expert, but I weld those two alloys together every day. I am using 5356 filler. I am curious what the other members of this forum will have to say on this subject.
    MILLER DYNASTY 200 DX
    MILLER COOLMATE 3

Comment

5356 Would Be

the best choice to put them together. If you needed a little more strength, than 5183 would be a better choice. You may have a hard time finding the 5183 though, It's not that common like 5356.
      Mike. R

Dynasty 300dx tig runner w/ 3 torch Versa-Tig torch changer {wt-20f, wt-24f, mt-125}
      MM 251/30a/4015 roughneck
      Miller portable spot welder
      Inferno >>> Big Window Elite

Comment

ok, good to know. I was a bit shocked when I saw that chart in the book because I use 5356 to weld on both 5052 and on 6061, so somehow I thought that meant it would "all be good".
        Attached Files

Comment

Try this!

http://www.alcotec.com/atasap.pdf

Alcotec's web site is very informative
          Mike. R

Dynasty 300dx tig runner w/ 3 torch Versa-Tig torch changer {wt-20f, wt-24f, mt-125}

Comment

Blackplague,

Good to see you around. Long time no hear.

Great stuff-Aloctec! It is the only filler brand I use. It costs more, but the results are night and day from the run of the mill fillers. Remember the 4135 high Si content rod that is "killer" on 3003 and nasty castings? For those kind of results $20/lb is cheap...

Comment

You got it Hawk!!

For the $20 it costs, it saves hundreds in headaches. I use Alcotec for aluminum exclusively and Crown alloys for everything else {it's local for me}.

How have you been? I've been lurking around, but haven't had much time for anything else.
              Mike. R

Comment

Good for the most part. Too much work-too little time... Mostly lurking...a few posts here and there. No economic impact for you I hope: FORD?

Comment

It's pretty slim up here.

People have been dropping like flys around me at work {ford}. I think the storm is over for now. I'm pretty fortunate right now to have a job and to have the shop work. I just keep working away. I hope all is well with you my friend . Mike.
                  Mike. R

Comment

That's coo!

Comment

Working...
                    X