Anyone Have SMITH's "The Little Torch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have SMITH's "The Little Torch"

I'm thinking about buying SMITH's "The Little Torch" and wonder if anyone here has one, or has used one, and what they think of it.

Because of it's small size and potential ability to get in hard to reach areas, I'm considering using it to braze small thin walled spots and repairs in cast iron cylinder heads.

I've only read the description of the torch on Smith's web site which makes the torch sound appealing instead of trying to use my full size O/A outfit.

I was hoping someone here could give me some feedback on it.

Thanks.

I have one but I haven't used it yet. It is very small. I'll try to get a picture of it next to my cutting torch for prospective. I've been using the Meco "Midget" and it is nice and small. I'll try to get the picture posted when I get home later tonight (probably after 11pm eastern)
    Bob Sigmon
    A/O Setup with Meco Midget
    Miller Big Window Elite
    Quincy QT-5HD

Comment

One of the ladies in my last Ornamental welding class brought in a Hobart mini O/A. This thing was tiny. Maybe the Smith is the same thing.

Dennis
      Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
      Millermatic Challenger 172
      VictorO/A
      Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
      Esab PCM-875
      Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Sigmon
        I have one but I haven't used it yet. It is very small. I'll try to get a picture of it next to my cutting torch for prospective.
        http://www.littletorch.com/
        Attached Files
        Millermatic Passport
        Miller Spectrum 375 Cutmate

Comment

I picked up one awhile back used, actually still in the box supposedly never fired up. I've played with it a little and really haven't found a use for it yet. The lady I got it from was going to use it for jewlery and it sure seems to be good for not much more. The box states fusion up to 16ga. Might be good for soldering wires or probably crafts-flame about the size of a thread. I don't see this thing being any good on cast without a lot of supplemental heat. Not to mention that Smith is awfully proud of their stuff. Might want to take a look at a quality aircraft style torch set-up.

Comment

Here is a picture of the Meco Midget that Bob Sigmon spoke of. It is a great little torch and I'm sure the Smith is great too. I braze a helluva lot of 4130 with mine but nothing too thick. I have tips for the Meco #00 - #4 but I think they have a few larger than that. Here is a link to their site. Lots of cool stuff. Seems like torch work is going the way of the Dodo, nice to see some interest.

http://www.tinmantech.com/index.php
            Dynasty 350DX
            Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
            MM 350P
            MM Passport Plus
            Spectrum 375 Extreme
            08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

i still like the henrob

i still like the henrob torch. very versatile and cuts very nice.

Comment

While not as tiny as the Smith, the Prest-O-Lite W-200 is very small. Rosebud tips as large as 59,000 BTUH are available, and well as tiny welding tips. A nice little torch that's great on small welds, soft soldering & silver soldering.

http://products.esabna.com/index.htm...egory_ids/1424
                Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                Clarke Hotshot

Comment

The Harris model 15 is about as small as they get. Sorry no pic. Longer than the Little Smith but should still go anywhere it can go. That's why aircraft style torches exist to begin with-reach into hard to get to places that need welding like when welding airplanes. Common characteristic of the aircraft style is the forward location of the knobs for instant, one finger, flame adjustments.

Comment

A buddy of mine uses it to do panels on his street rods and says its the best
                    smith's
                    Dynasty 300DX
                    Miller Matic 35
                    Piranha II

Comment

Smith's Little Torch

Can anyone who has one tell me about it's construction. The handle looks to be plastic but I can't tell from the pictures. The one thing I really like about my Meco's is that they are made entirley of brass so while they are small, they have some "substance" to them. I really like the look of the little Smith though and I may have a niche it could fill quite nicely.
                      Dynasty 350DX
                      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                      MM 350P
                      MM Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 375 Extreme
                      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Working...
                      X