regulator trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regulator trouble

I just got my new dynasty about 4 hours ago but I am having trouble with the smith argon regulator that came in the contractors kit. I can't get the flow rate up high enough because as soon as I hit the pedal the needal drops down to below 10 and starts fluttering like crazy. When I let off the pedal the needle stops fluttering and the flow rate starts to go up. Is this a bad regulator or am I doing something wrong. Also does anyone know if the dynasty 200dx has preflow
    thanks

Do you have the valve ALL the way open on the argon tank?
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
    1971 Roughneck 1e
    Stars-n-Stripes BWE
    Optrel Satellite OSE
    ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
    Lincoln 200SA Diesel
    O/A Set
    Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
    1.5 kVA Spot Welder
    Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
    My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

No I only opened the valve about half a turn I always thought you didn't have to open the cylinder valve all the way open. Is this causing my problems

Comment

Originally posted by 3faze
        No I only opened the valve about half a turn I always thought you didn't have to open the cylinder valve all the way open. Is this causing my problems
        It very well could be...You should open the tank valve all the way to the top seat.
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        1971 Roughneck 1e
        Stars-n-Stripes BWE
        Optrel Satellite OSE
        ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
        Lincoln 200SA Diesel
        O/A Set
        1.5 kVA Spot Welder

My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Opening the cylinder valve all the way doesn't do anything, I tried and the same thing keeps on happening. Do you think it is a faulty regulator??

Comment

That would be my guess. I had that problem with a MM210 and we switched out the regulator and it didn't do it anymore.
            When in doubt Weld It

Comment

Hey man...I was hoping for a quick & easy fix...I HATE it when a new toy is broken, right out of the box ... Did you check to be sure you don't have a hose kinked somewhere? If all the hoses are OK you've probably got a bad regulator Miller will take care of it, but I hate the disappointed feeling stuff like this causes.
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              1971 Roughneck 1e
              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
              Optrel Satellite OSE
              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
              O/A Set
              1.5 kVA Spot Welder

My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys , no hoses kinked will have to get the regulator replaced

Comment

Check inside the regulator maybe there is something lodged in the line causing the gas to go down when it is being used and when you stop welding the gas would catch up with the demand.
                  Just a thought!
                  When in doubt Weld It

Comment

Just making sure, you are setting the flow rate while the gas is flowing, right?

Also, even though it wasn't the problem, ALWAYS open all high-pressure gas cylinders all the way when in use. The valves seat when fully closed and when fully open. Note: Acetylene is NOT considered a high-pressure gas cylinder in this case and only needs to be opened a half-turn or so.

Comment

I was always taught no more than 1/4 turn on acetylene, because if anything bad happened you wanted to be able to shut it with the twist of your wrist.
                      Syncrowave 250DX
                      Invison 354MP
                      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                      Smith O/A rig
                      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Ya gas cylinder is onpen plan to take regulator back to praxair tonight

Comment

When I finally got my Dynasty and contractor's kit, I got home, set it all up, and turned on the gas. First thing I hear is the gas escaping from the regulator safety valve. It was 5:00pm, but luckily, I live about 5 minutes away from my dealer. I drove back right away. They were closed, but I was able to persuade them to open the door a crack and exchange my regulator. They did and I had no problems after that.
                          Good Luck.
                          -SPiNNeR-

Hobart 135
                          Oxy-Acet w/ Victor torch
                          Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Working...
                          X