Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC702
    replied
    The vast majority of modern 15A receptacles are on 20A circuits. So if you can be the only thing on the circuit, you can safely pull all 20A through your receptacle, even if it's a 15A configuration.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Well I went in and did my work in the elevator penthouse to reinforce an existing floor, I ended up using my 110 Volt miller mig welder. It took me forever I ended up doing a triple pass on both sides to insure penetration was sufficient on the heavy steel. They ended up having all kinds off heavy power in there but they frown upon having alligator clips clamped to there power with a 220volt plug hanging out a junction box. so its just easier to use the 110 plug and go with the flow.
    Safety orientation only took 1 hr and 15 min. today. I was surprised that they let me weld 7 minuts after my burn permitt expired to finish my work in that area.
    For lunch I went to thiere cafateria and was amazed at the size, it was a huge food court and the dining area had to be 200' x 400' with all the trusses exposed made out of pipe with no colums it was all clear span, the large screen TV had to be 20' wide by 14' tall. Im amazed every time I work there.

Leave a comment:

• BigDTig
    replied
    Originally posted by cope
    I take a Novartis pill for hypertension, and I appreciate anything they do to ensure that I get the right medicine.
    Just to be clear, I didn't find their attention to detail and responsibility to security a negative, just commenting on how firms in the biotech and drugs industries are very, ver conscious of security.

I was actually rather impressed with Norvartis as a company. I was calling on various aspects of their Information Technology department at the time.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by BigDTig
    Novartis in NJ is the same way. It's a MASSIVE campus with no signs, labels on any door, etc. Lab entries are disguised as service closets. Incredibly easy to get lost. Not even the restrooms are labeled -- you just gotta know where they are.

I asked 'why'. Several Novartis employees told me the building was completely unlabeled and security increased significantly after a rash of environmental terrorists destroyed several testing labs on the campus.
    I take a Novartis pill for hypertension, and I appreciate anything they do to ensure that I get the right medicine. Remember the Tyleonol scare back in 1982-83?

Leave a comment:

• BigDTig
    replied
    The security at this place is probably not to far different that working at a nuclear facility, Back ground checks, drug tests and videos to watch. all for a couple hrs worth of work.
    Novartis in NJ is the same way. It's a MASSIVE campus with no signs, labels on any door, etc. Lab entries are disguised as service closets. Incredibly easy to get lost. Not even the restrooms are labeled -- you just gotta know where they are.

I asked 'why'. Several Novartis employees told me the building was completely unlabeled and security increased significantly after a rash of environmental terrorists destroyed several testing labs on the campus.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Thanks for the info from every one, I think I will rent one and try it out before I buy one, If I can burn 7018-3/32 off a 15 amp plug I can save myself alot of aggrevation. as far as answering ctardies questions, you are correct I did not stick weld in the room just outside the operating room, I had to Tig weld the door on the dishwashing type machine used to clean some of the tools in the operating room.
    and my job I'm headed to this morning is at the pfizor drug company in Ann Arbor MI formerly known as Park Davis, they are very tuff to work for and do not tolerate mishaps, so I like to be able to go in with the right tools and get the job done.
    They do not let you run your cables through the door unless you give 48hrs notice so they can have a guard stand at the door.
    The security at this place is probably not to far different that working at a nuclear facility, Back ground checks, drug tests and videos to watch. all for a couple hrs worth of work.

Leave a comment:

• ctardi
    replied
    When's the last time anybody has allowed a stick welder into a surgical room? Maybe a Tig, but isn't that stuff usually taken out of the room?

Drug manufacturing companies, and surgical rooms should have plenty of power, regardless.

Leave a comment:

• 1fasbu
    replied
    maxstar

I've personally had to resort to 5/64 7018 at times. It's slow but it works. You can weld 3/32 with a 15a, as long as it is the ONLY thing on the circuit. It's just not practical to shut down a whole store to use a circuit with 3/32. Maybe a cat battery on rollers and a big inverter eh? Something that might be useful, most window mount air conditioners are on 20amp outlets, good luck.

Leave a comment:

• ShieldArc
    replied
    20 amp receptacles are quite common in commercial buildings and hospitals.

Leave a comment:

• BigDTig
    replied
    MaxStar 150 input consumption

Provided power consumption in the MaxStar is linear, 15A of input at 115 will deliver about 85A to your stick electrode.

You are going to be stretching that 15A circuit to it's limits, and that's with nothing else (lights, etc.) on the circuit.

15/20A receptacles are incredibly common today. If the building is modern at all, I'd be really surprised to find the receptables aren't 20A capable.

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    When I had my 150's I did run some 3/32" 6011, 6013, & 7018 at about 70-75 amps on a 15 amp 120V curcuit without any problems that I remember. Since they were mostly shop use I just normally used my 20A 120V curcuit. Not much help huh?

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    started a topic Maxstar 150 on a 110v- 15 amp plug

Maxstar 150 on a 110v- 15 amp plug

I need to know who has the maxstar 150 and if you have had any luck arc welding with it out of a 15 amp plug.
    I get calls to go into drug companies, hospital surgical rooms etc. where they dont want nor will they let you run cables down their hall ways or through doors due to security issues.
    I run 1/8 -6010 rod and 3/32 - 7018 rod at about 90 amps typically from my rig so I was wondering if I would have any success getting the maxstar to pump out 90 amps out of a standard 15 amp plug recepticle, I know they say you need a 20 amp plug however when is the last time you seen a 20 amp plug as a standard. thanks Portable Welder
Working...
X