Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG starts w/HF

maybe someone can explane this to me-

I'm TIGing steel w/ a syncrowave 300 w/ built in HF, a weldtech20 and a bernard chiller. With out the machine infront of me, I'd say that HF is set at the middle of the range (dial is stright up). The torch is in my left hand and the filler is in my right.

With the tungsten 1/16 away from the metal, I press the foot pedal(or micro switch if I'm in remote contactor/ panel current) and the arc rarely starts untill I touch the filler to the piece I'm welding. The arc starts the instant I "ground" myself to the piece. Why is that?

While the machine welds great, I find this a little worrysome. Especially because I wired the input and the foot pedal myself. Could this be a problem w/ a loose ground?

thanks for your time

Is this a new problem? There is a chance it's just the pre-flow delay. It could also be dirty or out of adjustment points. If you here gas flow as soon as the pedal is depressed I would think your pedal is okay.

Dennis
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Not a new problem and not the preflow delay. The points are 0.008 gap and the HF itself works great. Foot pedal seems to be contacting fine and I have the same thing happen when I use my other remote contactor (see other thread)

Comment

I dont mean this to sound embarrassing , but did you check to make sure the machine did not reset to " lift arc " when you shut it off and restarted it.
        To all who contribute to this board.
        My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

A perfectly valid question. The machine is set to remote contactor, remote current when I use the foot pedal. HF is set to HF start. When I touch the pedal, gas flows and the HF buzzes. Also, note that I'm not performing lift arc starts. I'm touching the FILLER to the piece that I'm welding to initiate the arc. The machine operates perfectly and I don't even concider this a problem, more like an idiosyncracy.

Comment

Are you wearing welding gloves (on both hands)?
            Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Comment

90% of the time I wear a pair of thin leather gloves. Why do you ask?

Comment

i have had the same problem with all the Tig machines i have used (a Lincoln 2 Sync 250's and a sync 350) but i never found that grounding yourself (touching filler) worked, i'll have to try that. i always let off of the foot control and lightly touched the tungsten to the work piece, then hit the foot pedal again (without the tungsten touching of course) and most of the time it starts. not sure why they all do it but hopefully this post will offer some imput.
                The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

It's good to hear that some body else has seen this. I'll add that once I touch the filler to the metal the HF will arc from pretty far away (depending on the HF intensity setting) and as I move the torch closer the real arc starts as it should.

Maybe Andy could offer some insite?

Comment

my aerowave and my dynasty do the same thing as have all my older tig welders i think its hf bleed or something like that or frosting on the tung . im used to it . i find it happens more on aluminum than steel though . I honestly think its pretty normal . sometimes the tung will restart again easier after its warm i have found.
                    Miller aerowave full feature
                    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
                    dynasty 200 dx
                    lincoln sp 135 plus
                    302 trailblazer
                    s22p12
                    powcon starcut
                    cp 400 metal spray

Comment

On a syncro 250 (about 12 years old) & lincoln ideal arc 300 tig (very old) I don't have that problem. HF set to start, hit the pedal & arc starts for steel & ss. On aluminum HF set to continuous hit the pedal & arc starts. I've never heard of what you are experiencing. On my squarewave 175 with built in "automatic tig arc starter" same thing, hit the pedal & it starts. My opinion is it is not right what you are experiencing.---MMW---
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                      Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

My syncrowave 351 occasionally does the same thing. Let off the pedal, touch the tungsten to the metal, lift it back up and hit the pedal again and it will start the arc. Have no clue why it does it.

Comment

Ha! I'm not crazy. Any electrical engineers/ physicists out there that can explain this? Is my dielectric constant wrong? Should I drink more gatorade? Maybe more beer would help. I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Wendel,
                            What is your argon flow rate set at? Avoid flow rates above 15CFH, exspecialy at low amperage. Think of it like lighting a match in a wind storm.
                            Gary

Comment

Gary,
                              Very interesting point. My flow rate is usually at 15cfm. I'll do some experiments with different flow rates next time I'm in the shop. How does turbulence impact the conductivity of the gas? I'm a chemist not a physicist.

Comment

Working...
                              X