No announcement yet.

Maybe a problem with Optrel Satellite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a problem with Optrel Satellite?

Well I broke away from TIG work using my BWE as I picked up a half dozen storm sewer drain fabrication projects requiring spray arc MIG. I have always used my Optrel Satellite for MIG and stick work. All the prints call for 1/2" and 5/8" rebar. I have welded literally thousands of feet of rebar with the spray arc process and my Optrel Satellite.

For some reason it seems like the shade gets darker going from 9-13, but never really gets dark enough like it should (and used to do). The helmet is probably 4 years old. This is the first problem I've had with it.

The arc is not overly bright: .035" QCL wire, 345 IPM, 29.5 volts, 50% inductance, 92argon/8CO2. These are the same basic parameters I have burned hundreds of pound of wire with in this process and application.

Anybody experienced this problem? Maybe time to get another BWE dedicated to stick and MIG.

Thats interesting, i've been wondering why the optrel isn't more popular, It seems to have EVERY feature you could want. I've been looking at it for its light shade adjustments. I'm currently frustrated welding stainless at 40 amps with my xlix. I had intended to upgrade to a BWE in a while but now i need the light shading capability, so i figured an optrel would be in my future. A buddy has one on the way, i can't wait to try it. What is the warrantee? have you ever had any glitches in the past? Sounds like maybe a battery is getting old.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Had mine three years now and no problems whatsoever yet. I can say that if it crapped out today I would get another one, and yes I have used the BWE, speedglas, & Jackson. Having said all that I wouldn't mind having a plain black BWE for a backup & and SMAW as I like the latest version of the headgear but until it goes below shade 9 it won't be my primary helmet. But until I manage to save enough to get a plasma cutter, my backup will have to be my Jackson shadow with a #8, #9, or #10 gold lens.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

that is funny you mention that as when i was doing some ssfc the other day sometimes the arc would be fine others it would be to bright and i just bought this helmet .
        Miller aerowave full feature
        Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
        dynasty 200 dx
        lincoln sp 135 plus
        302 trailblazer
        s22p12
        powcon starcut
        cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Originally posted by dandimand
          that is funny you mention that as when i was doing some ssfc the other day sometimes the arc would be fine others it would be to bright and i just bought this helmet .
          My BWE was doing that (I was NOT happy!) until my friendly local David at the AirGas store replaced the module & cured the problem. Does the Optrel have replaceable batteries? The Optrel seems to be a borderline perfect helmet for me IF this intermittent problem isn't a common thing My BWE is a GREAT lid, I just wish it had an "off" switch, so I could use it for plasma or grinding! I was pretty-sure I was going to get a Optrel & keep the BWE for TIG until this thread came up (I probably will anyway) so I'm VERY interested in what HAWK & dandimand find out about this problem.
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
          1971 Roughneck 1e
          Stars-n-Stripes BWE
          Optrel Satellite OSE
          ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
          Lincoln 200SA Diesel
          O/A Set
          Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
          1.5 kVA Spot Welder
          Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
          My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

at first i just thought it was me but now i know others have had this problem im gonna take it back as it has only done it a few times but i got mild arc flash from it. at first i thought i had helmet set wrong but no as i double checked it . it would darken i had it set on 11 but it seemed sometimes it was dropping to about 7 very intermittent though so i wonder if its a problem in the two stage switch ??
            Miller aerowave full feature
            Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
            dynasty 200 dx
            lincoln sp 135 plus
            302 trailblazer
            s22p12
            powcon starcut
            cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Are you guys welding outdoors when you have the problem ? Just wondering if cold temp. could have something to do with it.
              To all who contribute to this board.
              My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
              Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
              Miller Syncrowave 250
              Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
                My BWE was doing that (I was NOT happy!) until my friendly local David at the AirGas store replaced the module & cured the problem. Does the Optrel have replaceable batteries? The Optrel seems to be a borderline perfect helmet for me IF this intermittent problem isn't a common thing My BWE is a GREAT lid, I just wish it had an "off" switch, so I could use it for plasma or grinding! I was pretty-sure I was going to get a Optrel & keep the BWE for TIG until this thread came up (I probably will anyway) so I'm VERY interested in what HAWK & dandimand find out about this problem.
                No replaceable battries in the Optrel. Frankly I think it runs on magic, mine stays in the dark garage/shop for weeks at a time and is always ready to work when I pick it up. It seems like I am the only one who wants to use the Optrel for tig and If I had a BWE would use it for mig and fcaw.
                Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I bought my Optrell for tig use and I have not had any complaint at all , although I dont do near as much welding as most people on this site. I keep mine in the box it came in and I just pull it out and use it and it works fine right off the bat. I've heard talk of charging helmets by sitting them in the sun but there is nothing about that in the litterature that came with the helmet and I've not had a need to do anything but put it on my head.
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

HAWK:
                    Cold work environment? maybe! In the cold the hood may not allow it to fully darken if it is below a certain temp. My hornel had a similar deal rescently but it was 27* out in the shop. Hornel said it can happen in extremely cold temps, when it has been stored in the cold as well.

Peace,

Comment

Same with my hornell, it starts acting up in the mid twenty degree weather, but right now the temp is above freezing MIDDLE OF JANUARY FOR HEAVENS SAKE what's this world coming to anyways. Even up north it is above freezing during the daytime.
                      hre

Comment

I think the lens must be going out in the Optrel Satellite. It has no batteries to replace and the temperature was in the upper 40s. I heard a rumor that these Optrel lens were good for five years. It's getting close, but I'd hate to think that is the case. I tried the BWE under the same conditions and it works fine.

I really like my BWE and could certainly use another one for MIG/SMAW. I like having a dedicated TIG helmet that stays clean. I could break out the Huntsman with a 14 green glass, but all the hood flipping would be a pain on these projects as there are 400+ short welds per unit on these pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
                          Are you guys welding outdoors when you have the problem ? Just wondering if cold temp. could have something to do with it.
                          Welding inside the shop. The bay door was mostly open as it was nearly 50 degrees outside. The day was dark and rainy. There was no extraneous lighting. The unit functions well and is not flashing me. It just won't get as dark as it used to. It seems a couple of shades brighter across the 9-13 range. I don't use the 5-9 range much since I have a BWE so I don't know how it is really acting on the bottom end.

Comment

I bought my Satelite based on your recomendation (Hawk) a couple of years ago and have been happy with it on low end TIG for some time;BUT I did have a problem a while ago with the lens developing a dark band right through the center on lower shade settings. It was a little hard to see in some out of position cases and it continued to get worse. I don't know if it would act up on high setting also. Luckily I talked to the warranty lady at Optrell and my serial number was barely still in warranty so they next day'ed a new lense and then I sent back the old one based on one phone call. Service equall to Miller's in my experience! I know yours is out of time but it still might be worth a call. Good luck, JEFF
                            200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Hawk get a hold of optrel customer service with ser# off lens they might have a recall on it an replace n/c with new one,I had a customer with one he was having problem with it was 3-4yrs old and they sent him a new lens N/C

Comment

Working...
                              X