X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by 1fasbu
    Be patient, don't work for free, and be ready to justify why you charge what you charge. Good luck, and remember that there are other places in BC besides the lower mainland.
    Thanks fasbu, I think that's really good advice. I hope to move to mid/northern bc in a few years, I love the land up there and I hear there is lots of work, even in the slower times. I have found that some people really like the idea of hiring someone with new equipment. I'm thinking they have been burned before.

Leave a comment:

• 1fasbu
    replied
    rates

I will be down that way hopefully before may, I'll be sure to stop in and check out how you're doing(and the cool new truck ). As far as rates go, I have to tell you it's a suppy and demand thing. Right now there isn't a lot of decent trades people in southern BC so rates are good. I believe we are approaching $100 an hour(ten years ago $45). Keep in mind my boss has overhead(wages again high,CWB,fuel,insurance,rods,etc.) so the profit margin is not all that high. The mobile work usually brings in bigger things. You know the high dollar things, the "I need it right now" things. It's all about finding a balance. Be patient, don't work for free, and be ready to justify why you charge what you charge. Good luck, and remember that there are other places in BC besides the lower mainland.

Leave a comment:

• Ray C.
    replied
    Originally posted by Coalsmoke
    Hey fasbu, I almost bought one of those for my compressor, but funds kept me from it, course now that they are on sale....... They look like a very good unit, and the dessicant refill is a bag of big pellets and is about $25 IIRC. I recommend it, but haven't used it yet so no gaurantees You should stop by again some time and see the finished deck. BTW, what do the mobile guys charge per hour out around your area?
    I use a dessicant setup on the drop I use for painting. Made a big differance. It needs to be set up properly with other filters/dryers. I think there is a drawing on Cambell Hausfeld and Ingersoll Rand's websites.

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Hey fasbu, I almost bought one of those for my compressor, but funds kept me from it, course now that they are on sale....... They look like a very good unit, and the dessicant refill is a bag of big pellets and is about $25 IIRC. I recommend it, but haven't used it yet so no gaurantees You should stop by again some time and see the finished deck. BTW, what do the mobile guys charge per hour out around your area?

Leave a comment:

• 1fasbu
    replied
    air dryer

hey coalsmoke: on a related note, did you see Princess Auto has their air dryer on sale for $44? Have you ever used one? Can I get the pellets out here in the sticks? I'm going to order one up I think .
    http://www.princessauto.com/_osn.cfm...%20AIR%20DRYER

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    go to a place that sells air compressors, buy pellets for inline air dryer.

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    replied
    Where do you buy the dessicant?

Leave a comment:

• glockdoc
    replied
    am i the only one that uses a 20mm ammo can along with a few bags of dessicant. could probably get at least 100# in there. read somewhere that if there is no rust on the bare ends of the rods that they are probably still good to go but not sure about 7018.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    I have 2 1/2 boxes of 6011 & 6013 rods I bought in 1978. They have stayed in a metal cabinet with 2 light bulbs. I used to keep the bulbs changed but finally gave up. They strill weld great. If the rod isn't rusty and the flux hasn't gotten soft or cracked you should be OK. 7018 needs a fairly hot oven once opened; for that reason I don't think you should use them once the have been exposed, but some say just usee them on non-critical projects. Most hobby weldors do not work on projects that require a lo-hy so why bother? The three rods you have are all you need IMO.

Leave a comment:

• garybdavis
    started a topic SMAW Rod Shelf Life and Proper Storage

SMAW Rod Shelf Life and Proper Storage

My one and only welding book doesn't have much information regarding this category.

How long can 6011, 6013, and 7014 rods last if you store them in rod guards? I have some rods that are several years old and seem to burn just fine. They were simply stored in rod guards in the tool box of my old welding trailer which outside. I'm in a fairly dry climate.

For 7018 rods, I've heard you need to use them up once you open the package or you have to "cook" them before using them again. Are low hydrogen rods the only ones you need to put in a rod oven?

I plan to get an old refridgerator and a low watt bulb or de-humidifying rod, but I'm not there yet.

What else should I know about shelf life and storing SMAW rods?
Working...
X