Mill Scale removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sundown
    Had that done about 10 years ago, no big deal...it's mostly in your mind. of course the doc had this extreamly nice looking, young girl do the prep and assist and that didn't help things very much. Yep, you won't be doing any lifting for a few days anyway...good luck to you.
    Thanks George. So far so good as of this morning. I think you are right about "mostly in your mind". I was pretty nervous going in based on all the stories I had heard. Mostly it was nothing like anyone had said. I am well stocked on the frozen peas though and the couch hasn't seen this much attention since we got it.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications
      Thanks George. So far so good as of this morning. I think you are right about "mostly in your mind". I was pretty nervous going in based on all the stories I had heard. Mostly it was nothing like anyone had said. I am well stocked on the frozen peas though and the couch hasn't seen this much attention since we got it.
      My couch is seeing a lot of use as I think some Jimmy Dean sausage was a little ripe that ate on Friday, going to sit out this weekend. Put a good movie on and eat some popcorn.....later.....
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

never thought i would discuss this on a welding forum . i'm going in for mine on the 3rd and hearing that helps alot.....thanks guys!
        The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Originally posted by tigman250
          never thought i would discuss this on a welding forum . i'm going in for mine on the 3rd and hearing that helps alot.....thanks guys!
          Ditto on that. I just threw it out there as to why I would not get to play with my new ring roller for a while. I think I have done pretty well all things considered. I had heard a lot of horror stories but most of it turned out to be bunk. Just stay off your feet as much as you can for the first 48 hrs and ice every other hour and you should do just fine. Laying around is getting kinda old though.
          Dynasty 350DX
          Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
          MM 350P
          MM Passport Plus
          Spectrum 375 Extreme
          08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

never thought i would discuss this on a welding forum . i'm going in for mine on the 3rd and hearing that helps alot.....thanks guys

i gess you can now say we have coverd every thing rod related
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

I would consider it more like contamination in the mrs's pool or flow rates.
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
              Smith O/A rig
              And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

George, I'll look forward to hearing more as that is about all I'll be able to do this weekend. I am having the big "V" today at 3 o'clock so the weekend is pretty much shot. Even at that it will most likely sit in the box where the FedEx driver leaves it through next week (since it weigh 85lbs. )
                Kevin I had my “V” done when I was 27. I was working on a project getting ready to go to Alaska. I was installing H-beam columns on the deck of a barge. Lots of grunt work. Come-a-longing things into place, crap like that. I took Friday afternoon off went into the Doctor’s office for my snip, snip. Went home laid around all weekend, right back at it Monday morning. Not one problem . But like you, I have heard some horror stories .

Comment

Laying around is getting kinda old though
                  truer words were never spoken, after my back sergerys i still have days that my med's just wont do it and thats my only option. drives me nuts, cant stand being broken. 100 chanels on the TV and nothing to watch so all you can do is lay there thinking about what you want to be doing out in the shop.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

I have finished putting the new weld table togeather and just need to get the top surface done. The 30" X 40" X 1/2" plate I have is HRS and has some very heavy mill scale on it. I cleaned the bottom with a grinding wheel, then flap disk, and finally some Sait sanding disks. I tried my belt sander with not very good results. My question is, is there a better way to get the mill scale off the top surface than the way I did the other side? and if I have to do it the same way, what can be done to dull the finish so I have fewer reflective problems?
                    Just use a 7 or 9in grinding wheel flat on the table to get most off. Then use a 7in 36 grit flap wheel flat on the table to finish. Then spray the table with anti-spatter. Now your done, the table will darken with use just as a cast iron skillet...

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
                      Just use a 7 or 9in grinding wheel flat on the table to get most off. Then use a 7in 36 grit flap wheel flat on the table to finish. Then spray the table with anti-spatter. Now your done, the table will darken with use just as a cast iron skillet...
                      Biggest I have is a 5" grinder (DW831) and I am getting to old to horse one of those big ones around. However I am in the process of doing what you advised, only with my 5" grinding wheel, and 5" flapdisk, and finishing off with 80 grit sait sanding disks. Most of the work is almost done, thanks for the tip on the anti-spatter I was going to use wd40 but that sounds like a better idea.
                      Regards, George

Comment

be shoure to snap us some pic's when ya get-er-done. all that work ya gota show it off a bit ya know.

will the anty splater stuff keep it from rusting?? or just stop the splater? i have just been useing wd-40 (well walmarts brand any way's) with good results. at $0.97 a can its about the cheapest way out. but i have never tryed the anty splater stuff. will it aplie the same way just shoot a light coat and wipe it down???
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                          be shoure to snap us some pic's when ya get-er-done. all that work ya gota show it off a bit ya know.

will the anty splater stuff keep it from rusting?? or just stop the splater? i have just been useing wd-40 (well walmarts brand any way's) with good results. at $0.97 a can its about the cheapest way out. but i have never tryed the anty splater stuff. will it aplie the same way just shoot a light coat and wipe it down???
                          I will, but be forwarned it's just a regular table, nothing fancy.
                          Regards, George

Comment

........ Most of the work is almost done, thanks for the tip on the anti-spatter I was going to use wd40 but that sounds like a better idea.
                            George,

Definitely use the anti-spatter. That way, if you drop yer sandwich on the table, ya kin still pick it up and eat it!

Hank
                            ...from the Gadget Garage
                            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                            Handler 210 w/DP3035
                            TA185TSW
                            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

That way, if you drop yer sandwich on the table, ya kin still pick it up and eat it!

i like the way you think.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              JAMES

Comment

lots of welders make grilled cheese sandwiches on their welding tables, dont they??

Comment

Working...
                                X