Mill Scale removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fun4now
    are they the ones that look like a thick scotch bright pad only harder, if so i think you can get them at walmart also. it might only be the drill version at walmart though and thouse would most likly not work as well, but it might be werth looking if you are there, for the grinder type i mean.

Those are the ones, James. The grinder ones are a lot heavier from what I remember of the drill ones. I guess they would have to be, huh? Lot of difference in speeds.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Lot of difference in speeds.
      i would think a lot of diferance in performance also, i can see it working well on a 4.5 grinder but would ??? it ability on a drill, especaly a small drill. nice to know they will get the job done on the 4.5 i'll have to look into getting 1, i have an up comming project that will require lots of paint removal, old thick (probly led) paint.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications
        George,
        I ended up ordering one of those myself based on David's recommendation. I will be interested to here your thoughts once you recieve it and then when you get to use it. Mine is supposed to be here on Monday.
        It showed up on the bench in front of the door shortly after dark, the dog was in the window barking so they guy didn't even ring the bell. I got as far as opening the box (which had part of the top of the machine sticking out) to check it out. All I can say is watch the packing penuts, they went all over the shop. I did get them cleaned up and had a look, seems to be well made for the cost even comes with bolts for mounting in the floor. I will post some initial thoughts about it sometime this weekend after I get a better look at it.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
          George...got get you a Norton Bear-Tex Rapid Strip disc for your new grinder. It is like a mega conditioning disc. I used one the other day and it took all the mill scale off of a 2" flat in just a few seconds with very little effort. I get them at Airgas and a few other places. These guys are around 8 bucks each, but they are exactly what you are looking for.
          I might have seen one of those hanging on the wall at Lowes, if I recall they were in the $12 range, thanks I will have a look this morning. If I remember right it kinda looked like a loose woven scotch bright pad with the strands coated with some abrasive. I remember thinking at the time it was a bit pricy, if it works then the price is fine.
          Regards, George

Comment

George, the only ones I remember seeing at Lowes or Homey Desparate were the ones rated for drills. Could be wrong, though. I don't think I would try a drill one on a grinder. I do know Airgas has them most of the time.
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
              George, the only ones I remember seeing at Lowes or Homey Desparate were the ones rated for drills. Could be wrong, though. I don't think I would try a drill one on a grinder. I do know Airgas has them most of the time.
              Airgas here never heard of them, he did look them up and found they can get the 6-1/2" ones for 7 or 8" grinders which arn't rated high enough to use on my 4-1/2 or my 5". I called Graingers and they want me to submit my business linence and a credit app to sell me the size I want, forget that. I went to lowes and found them for 4 1/4-5" grinders made by GatorGrit and slso by 3M, the GatorGrit ones at $10 and the 3M ones are $13 and require a quick disconnect to use at $12. I got one of the GatorGrit ones and tried it on the Ridgid 4-1/2" and it works fine but I don't think its going to last very long. For some reason the Mill Scale on this peice is almost gummy, I know that sounds funny but thats what it seems like.
              Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                It showed up on the bench in front of the door shortly after dark, the dog was in the window barking so they guy didn't even ring the bell. I got as far as opening the box (which had part of the top of the machine sticking out) to check it out. All I can say is watch the packing penuts, they went all over the shop. I did get them cleaned up and had a look, seems to be well made for the cost even comes with bolts for mounting in the floor. I will post some initial thoughts about it sometime this weekend after I get a better look at it.
                George, I'll look forward to hearing more as that is about all I'll be able to do this weekend. I am having the big "V" today at 3 o'clock so the weekend is pretty much shot. Even at that it will most likely sit in the box where the FedEx driver leaves it through next week (since it weigh 85lbs. )
                Dynasty 350DX
                Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                MM 350P
                MM Passport Plus
                Spectrum 375 Extreme
                08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

This work FANTASTIC ALSO

Originally posted by precisionworks
                  Good call! An Ingersoll 182, CP9356, Patco P1-B or Cleco B1 would make quick work of that scale. For an inline, hand held tool that weighs five pounds, the power is incredible.
                  tHIS jUST SAYS jET CHISEL,,HAVE 2,,BUY NEEDLES FROM MC-MASTER CARR,,cHEPS,,,,AND DOEST EAT AS MUCH AIR AS YOU THINK,,,i THINK ITS ALMOST AS FAST AS SANDblasting,,,ame with the Company when i bought it so these have to be well over 30 years old,Jack
                  Attached Files

Comment

i don't really think a needle scaler is what you want for this job, although they do have their place in every welding shop! it will take a month to knock off all the scale on a table top and it will leave the surface looking somewhat like a golf ball (the divots won't be deep but they will be there) have you concidered a carbide scraper? i have one (intended for scraping excess glue off of wood glueups ) that i think would scrape scale off of a flat surface???? just a thought.
                    The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Storts -

I work on lots of air tools, and recognize yours as an early model of the current Jet JSG-3328NS. They are a well made tool, fairly low consumption (around 8CFM).

Last week, a Jet JCO4-4R (15# chipping hammer) came in for a rebuild. What a fun tool 1800 blows per minute, each blow at 42 ft/lb. Even with the weight of the hammer plus all my weight, it was nearly impossible to keep the chisel on the test plate!
                      Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                      HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                      Clarke Hotshot

Comment

To Barry

Storts -

I work on lots of air tools, and recognize yours as an early model of the current Jet JSG-3328NS. They are a well made tool, fairly low consumption (around 8CFM).

Last week, a Jet JCO4-4R (15# chipping hammer) came in for a rebuild. What a fun tool 1800 blows per minute, each blow at 42 ft/lb. Even with the weight of the hammer plus all my weight, it was nearly impossible to keep the chisel on the test plate!
                        Barry, Thanks,,I also have the Baby Jet needle descaler,,and not worth a darn,,For the heck of it, What does one of the ones like i have go for today?Thanks,Jack

Comment

Storts -

They retail for $489, but can usually be found for $350 to $375. Build quality is typical Japenese - very close tolerance, superb surface finish on internal parts (the ones that almost nobody sees ).

I see a fair amount of older ones, which tells me that they're hard to kill. You would not believe how some operators treat these tools ... sort of like a red headed stepchild
                          Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                          HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                          Clarke Hotshot

Comment

To Barry

Storts -

They retail for $489, but can usually be found for $350 to $375. Build quality is typical Japenese - very close tolerance, superb surface finish on internal parts (the ones that almost nobody sees ).

I see a fair amount of older ones, which tells me that they're hard to kill. You would not believe how some operators treat these tools ... sort of like a red headed stepchild
                            Well as you can see mine have been used there 30+ years old,,and chip like there new,,dont know what i would do with out theml!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks,Jack

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications
                              George, I'll look forward to hearing more as that is about all I'll be able to do this weekend. I am having the big "V" today at 3 o'clock so the weekend is pretty much shot. Even at that it will most likely sit in the box where the FedEx driver leaves it through next week (since it weigh 85lbs. )
                              Had that done about 10 years ago, no big deal...it's mostly in your mind. of course the doc had this extreamly nice looking, young girl do the prep and assist and that didn't help things very much. Yep, you won't be doing any lifting for a few days anyway...good luck to you.
                              Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by tigman250
                                i don't really think a needle scaler is what you want for this job, although they do have their place in every welding shop! it will take a month to knock off all the scale on a table top and it will leave the surface looking somewhat like a golf ball (the divots won't be deep but they will be there) have you concidered a carbide scraper? i have one (intended for scraping excess glue off of wood glueups ) that i think would scrape scale off of a flat surface???? just a thought.
                                I do have a set of scrapers, I will have to give them a try...thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that.
                                Regards, George

Comment

Working...
                                X