X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by dandimand
    i think the test is with 21b 1/16 . what method were you doing for your cap?
    Dan, it might be in your ineterest to double check that. I was talking with an instructor yesterday and he said that the CWB was with .045. I'm going to start preparing and challenge my level C this summer

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Sadly, 21-B, 211 and 212 all have no impact ratings.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by dandimand
    what method were you doing for your cap?
    All depends what mood I’m in Sometimes I run stringers all the way, other times I run a weave for the cap. I guess you could say if I’m hitting on all 8-cylinders that day I run a weave. If it’s one of those days I’ll take the easy / slam dunk, and run stringers.

Leave a comment:

• dandimand
    replied
    i think the test is with 21b 1/16 . what method were you doing for your cap?

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    I personally do the same thing as the Lincoln Innershield book shows, I build a ledge first. Pointing the gun up hill just a touch. Soon as the ledge is established I bring my arm / shoulder up. And point the gun down just a touch. Now those pipe fighters did the old tried and true method like everybody else does for running 7018, they pointed the gun up hill just a touch from start to finish.

Now if I had my choice, for general fab work I’ll take Hobart’s 21-B over NR-211, and 212. But if memory severs 21-B has no Charpy impact rating! I could go look it up, but I’ll wait and see if you need that

Leave a comment:

• dandimand
    replied
    I would be curious to know the techniques you used and the what the pipe welder used for the verts . i ran some test plates yesterday and all seemed ok but still havent decided on a good technique for the cap any suggestions as the cap is approx 3/4" wide .as soon as i get a chance i will bend the test coupons and see how the did for me that is really the only way to tell. also do they have a ssfc wire similar or the same properties as 7018?

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Sad thing is a lot of those good manuals are no longer printed...not replaced, just no longer available. I have a stick welding guide that I suspect is much like that one and it is no more as well. Picked it up in '87.

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    That's the same book I have. Mine is from 1984. The lincoln website has a place to order publications, but it would probably be easier to just get on the phone.
    If you plan on a lot of innershield in your future, it is a good book to have.

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Well Dan I went to Lincoln’s web site, and they had me chasing my tail . I think you’ll have to get one from your LWS. Far as this vertical up technique, now remember this is just a suggestion. I personally think it is easier to do it this way, especially if you are going to be carrying a lot of iron.

But, on a job in CA I had to hire 4 or 5 union pipe weldors for a project because I could not get any pile drivers to pass a structural x-ray test. When I was in the process of signing these pipe weldors up, they all expressed concerns about running NR-212 wire or even a wire feeder. Most of them hadn’t run a wire feeder since their apprenticeship. Majority of their career had been Tig, and SMAW. I explained it would not be a problem I would take them out to the welding booth and give them a crash course. Once we got set up in the welding booth. I showed them this vertical up technique. All I got from them was WTF! So I said you guys practice until you think you got it, come find me and I’ll call for the refinery’s welding inspector. About 20-minutes later one of them comes into the office and said they were ready. Then it was my turn, WTF! Went out to see, told one of them to let me watch him run a vertical. He did it azz backwards to what I had showed him. But it was one of the best looking vertical welds I had seen in years. Ask if every one of them was ready. Only because I was catching a lot of sheet form the refinery, I had tested 12 guys up to this point, and every one of them had failed. Inspector shows up with the test plates, these pipe weldors complete their tests in under 2-hours. Again WTF! I had pile drivers take up to 12-hours, and still failed the test.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dandimand
    replied
    what book is that and is there an online link to that source?

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by J hall
    Straight from the innershield handbook, no less
    Hey, I’ve just been BSing you guys all this time. I’m a book-learned weldor

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    Straight from the innershield handbook, no less

Leave a comment:

• Pile Buck
    replied
    Originally posted by mmw
    Dandimand;
    So your saying you point the nozzle on the gun slightly down & drag it up without weaving? I always tried to run it like 7018 (nozzle pointed up slightly and a weave from side to side). My results were never great, just acceptable. I was using lincoln nr-212.---MMW---
    For your reading pleasure
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• MMW
    replied
    Dandimand;
    So your saying you point the nozzle on the gun slightly down & drag it up without weaving? I always tried to run it like 7018 (nozzle pointed up slightly and a weave from side to side). My results were never great, just acceptable. I was using lincoln nr-212.---MMW---

Leave a comment:

• Coalsmoke
    replied
    Dan, it was a pleasure and thanks for getting me started on tig. That powermig is a very nice unit. Once Dan and I got the numbers in range, that power mig and esab 11 produced the slickest FCAW welds I have seen. Torch angle was more critical than I was previously used to, but once we were set up, that esab 11 let you do whatever you wanted with it.

For about an hour straight, Dan filled my head with knowledge and let me play with his big Aerowave tig You all can guess what my next process will be I've got to say, if you are in the beginning stages of tig, do yourself a huge favour and find an expert and soak up all you can. In that one hour of one-on-one time with Dan, I gained about the equivilent of 10 classroom hours or 50 hours of mucking around and reading books. Nothing beats getting by-the-second advice from someone who knows and can kick the bad habits before you make them. Thanks Dan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X