self shielded flux core esab 11 have a test need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• self shielded flux core esab 11 have a test need input

Hi guys ok need some help . Im going to do a cwb test next week all position on half inch plate with self shielded wire. ok in the meantime i bought a roll of .045 esab 11 im going to practice on some 3/8 plate I was just running the stuff reversed the polarity etc... and im suprised at how nice this stuff actually runs just dont run it down hill porosity city . now hopefully some one has run this stuff and sz anyone got any good amperage settings and wire feed settings etc... . from what i read says your supposed to have your torch quite far away but i tried this and it kinda licked but if you use it like a regular mig with maybe half inch stickout it runs pretty nice when you get up to around 20 amps and around 190 wire speed its almost like spray arc . on the uphill vert i found down around 15 amps and 125 wire speed was sorta ok . i have to do a flat a horizontal an vert and an overhead . anyways i think the test uses bigger wire not so concerned with that at moment just like to hear from those that have run it any tips and tricks etc.... thanks Guys Dan.
    Miller aerowave full feature
    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

Hi Dan, I’ve run tons of self-shield flux core wire, but never ran any ESAB 11. ESAB didn’t get popular around here until after I stopped working. I think Jhall has run this before.
    I know Lincoln recommends up to a ¾-inch stick out, but I’ve always called BS to that. What I’ve always done is run about a 3/8-inch stick out, and adjusted the voltage to my needs. I’ve taken test for the Navy, where they duct tape over the gauges. You set the machine to where you like it. Then they check the voltage and amps. If not in the proper range, test over go home.

Comment

Oh another thing Dan, I don’t know how much welding experience you have, but in my opinion running .045 wire vertically up hill, is just like running 3/32-inch SMAW. In other words any little girl can do it. If you don’t have a lot of experience running up hill, do yourself a favor, and go get some .068 or 1/16-inch whatever ESAB has it in. But a test on ½-inch plate they may run .045, who knows.

Comment

cwb test

dandimand: cwb flux core is .045, on half inch plate. If you need the particulars on the coupon I can scan my spec sheet and post it tomorrow. I believe that this is one of the tests that they x-ray, I could be wrong though. I have the flux-flat, but will probably pass on taking it next time it's up. We just don't do that much flux-core anymore. Once in a blue moon when an ugly bucket comes in, but that's about it. I believe it's more of a dirty equipment-in the field repair-thing. In the shop the majority is new clean steel. Tips for running: drag slightly like SMAW, about 1/2" stickout. If you make your own coupons, sand the backing plate clean. Sand the backside of the 1/2" plates as well. Use a gas heater to prevent freezing. Oh ya, don't give your coupons to your apprentice welder to cut apart. We had an apprentice(b welder) that instisted he knew how to prep the plates. I let him start on it, look over ten minutes later and , he's cutting them up with a torch(freehand)! Nothing like some jagged edes in a welding coupon that will be bent eh? Oh well, they sat on the bench until the inspector came again, said we forgot and retested. Another thing that I'd like to add about the cwb, it's somewhat of a scam, but with the ever increasing chances of lawsuites, I think that you'll see a lot more companies insist on this cert.(engineers love it) I for one know it brings my boss a lot of business that we would otherwise miss. CWB is used world wide, something that not everyone knows.

Cheers, and
        are we there yet?

Comment

yea i was really confused as what i read every one said you had to have all this stickout like 1.5" i tried it worked terrible then tried drag angle and just ran it like i would any mig with hard wire and seemed to work fine . it does seem that i will use the hot start though as the first bit seems to stub alot .so basically just run it uphand like you would with 7018 try to find settings you like i guess will do some coupons and see how it goes. this is first time ever using this stuff i was suprised that it isnt really as bad as most ppl make it out to be would be nice in the field i think with a suitcase. not sure why when running downhill vert there was so much porosity though maybe its only meant to run up which it did just fine.also for uphill vert do you recommend stringers or can you weave this ? thanks guys. i think the test is actually dual shield that cwb has according to the convo i had with them but i figure if im paying for a week at the college anyways i may as well learn the self shield .I think it may be on .625" though all pos with back up strips .ps if anyone in bc is looking for a job there is a union place on annacis island looking for a welder awg its the autocarriers when i was on annacis today at the welding store i stopped by there . they wanted someone with A ticket but honestly they need a guy with a c maybe and a hammer it was pretty gross work but lots of overtime and benefits think wage was 27.00 lots of double time .
          dynasty 200 dx
          lincoln sp 135 plus
          302 trailblazer
          s22p12
          powcon starcut
          cp 400 metal spray

Comment

well did some more got it working much better now after playing with settings and i got in to run downhill and its beautiful down hill love this stuff so for down hill on 3/8 plate ran 16.4 volts and about 140 ipm wire speed for the flat filets ran around 20.4 volts and anywhere from 220 to 240 for wire speed . i think my drive rolls may be loose a bit though as wire seems to be surging and when i adjust wire speed doesnt make it any better i didnt want to tighten to much as i was worried about crushing the wire i bought some knurled v groove drive rolls so i will try sneaking up on the pressure . this is sure a hot wire i will have to get some leathers as its pretty warm but i could see using this stuff all the time rather than stick I really like it. fabsu do you know if the vert is uphill or can i run it down hill for cwb.
            dynasty 200 dx
            lincoln sp 135 plus
            302 trailblazer
            s22p12
            powcon starcut
            cp 400 metal spray

Comment

flux wire

Dandimand: I believe it would be like SMAW, flat, o/h, and vert up. I think when you go down you tend to run over flux?? Trust me it is hard enough to pass just flat. Maybe our machines suck, not sure. If you're going to a trade school you'll learn all the tips to pass these tests. Good luck, you'll do fine.

Cheers, and
              are we there yet?

Comment

Originally posted by dandimand
                i think my drive rolls may be loose a bit though as wire seems to be surging and when i adjust wire speed doesnt make it any better i didnt want to tighten to much as i was worried about crushing the wire i bought some knurled v groove drive rolls so i will try sneaking up on the pressure .
                Dan what type of gun are you running? On the whole you wouldn’t think .045 would be a problem, but I’ve tried to run the bigger flux core wires through a Tweeco model 4 gun before. Not going to happen! You really need a flux core gun for this stuff. Like I said maybe not as big an issue with .045. Now if you were running a 1/16 or bigger liner you might get away with it. Far as the tension of the drive rolls, yes crank those puppies down, and keep the gun as straight as possible.

Far as machines, you would not believe the crap they use to give us in the field! We thought we were in heaven when the CV machines got to be the norm. I had it happen to me a couple times. Be welding away in my own little world not bothering anybody with my POS CC machine. Have the welding inspector walk up be hind me tap me on the shoulder, and say “stop what you’re doing and run these test plates for me”. Throw 2 or 3 test plates on the ground, and say “hurry up”! Even had it where I had to lean up a sheet of plywood to get out of the rain to take the test.

Guess that’s why the guys in the field get the big bucks!

Comment

Uphill with .045 should be a breeze. Just build a shelf and go up
                  I have never used ESAB 11, but it is the same as NR211 so it is a good general wire.
                  Make sure your liner is clean, and keep an eye on your tip.
                  I run 1/16 thru a Mig gun with no troubles. I use the mig gun because I also do Dualshield.
                  Here are the dep rates for ESAB 11
                  http://products.esabna.com/index.htm...tegory_ids/802
                  Hope this helps.
                  Jeff
                  Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall
                    Uphill with .045 should be a breeze. Just build a shelf and go up
                    Just build a shelf, and go back to sleep

Comment

yea i got it working well now, the problem was the wire speed and you have to drag it going uphill . coalsmoke and i were playing with it for a cpl hours i got some current and wire speed settings from the esab website we ended up running 16 volts and 88 ipm for wire speed this stuff runs very nice in all positions i can tell you though wire speed will vary a whole lot with 1volt increase in arc voltage the over head welds i did looked as nice as some of the tig welds i do. im very impressed just took a little bit of monkeying around with the settings to get it right at this point i feel the test should be a breeze . I just bought a brand new s22p12 from the internet with voltage control for 500 so im sure this will go nicely with my tb 302 for running this wire.Ps thanks coal for coming over today i think we both learned some stuff. ps j hall the deposition link you posted is the one i found last nite that helped immensly .
                      dynasty 200 dx
                      lincoln sp 135 plus
                      302 trailblazer
                      s22p12
                      powcon starcut
                      cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Dan, it was a pleasure and thanks for getting me started on tig. That powermig is a very nice unit. Once Dan and I got the numbers in range, that power mig and esab 11 produced the slickest FCAW welds I have seen. Torch angle was more critical than I was previously used to, but once we were set up, that esab 11 let you do whatever you wanted with it.

For about an hour straight, Dan filled my head with knowledge and let me play with his big Aerowave tig You all can guess what my next process will be I've got to say, if you are in the beginning stages of tig, do yourself a huge favour and find an expert and soak up all you can. In that one hour of one-on-one time with Dan, I gained about the equivilent of 10 classroom hours or 50 hours of mucking around and reading books. Nothing beats getting by-the-second advice from someone who knows and can kick the bad habits before you make them. Thanks Dan
                        hre

Comment

Dandimand;
                          So your saying you point the nozzle on the gun slightly down & drag it up without weaving? I always tried to run it like 7018 (nozzle pointed up slightly and a weave from side to side). My results were never great, just acceptable. I was using lincoln nr-212.---MMW---
                          MM250
                          Trailblazer 250g
                          22a feeder
                          Lincoln ac/dc 225
                          Victor O/A
                          MM200 black face
                          Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                          Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                          Arco roto-phase model M
                          Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                          Miller spectrum 875
                          30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                          Syncrowave 250
                          RCCS-14

Comment

Originally posted by mmw
                            Dandimand;
                            So your saying you point the nozzle on the gun slightly down & drag it up without weaving? I always tried to run it like 7018 (nozzle pointed up slightly and a weave from side to side). My results were never great, just acceptable. I was using lincoln nr-212.---MMW---
                            For your reading pleasure
                            Attached Files

Comment

Straight from the innershield handbook, no less
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X