No announcement yet.

Swinging a big stick (SMAW discussion)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only ever tried the Lincoln 7018. I would really like to try the Atom Arc. but noone around here stocks it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
      I like Lincoln and Miller,,,,whats ur point?
      It keeps his post count up...

Comment

Excalibur

I like the Excalibur rod also. As for the plain Lincoln rod I have no use for it at all. The difference in price is only about 10 cents per pound and that is easily offset. Excalibur washes in very good and is excellent in out of position work

Byron

Comment

Joe bass, the company I worked with in the '80s uesd nothing but Atom arc. It was good then, I don't know if it is the same now.

I find it interesting that the guys with Millers like Excalibur, While the guys I know who run Lincolns don't like Excalibur.
          My preference is MG 7018.
          Jeff
          Jeff

Comment

I think it was JT on these boards that raved about Atom Arc and says that everyone he knows but one hates Excalibur.

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
              90% of my welding i use 7018 or 6010. My favorite 7018 is Excalibur, Atom Arc, and Hobart 718mc. My favorite 6010 is 5P and 5P+.
              Excalibur gets my LH vote and 5P and 5P+ on the 6010.Never tried the AtomArc or Hobart 718mc so I can`t comment on them.I own some Blue and two reds.Who cares.

Comment

All this talk about Excalibur rods has me wanting to try some, so I guess I'll pick a box up sometime just for kicks. never run it, I am very fond of 7018 rods by this company up here in Canada called Air Liquide (often referred to as "Liquid Air"). Their 7018 seems to run fine, but I guess I'll give the Excalibur a shot one day, just so I can say I have. Who knows, maybe I'll like it. Hyundia rods are fabulous, providing that you use the box up on that job. Even in an oven, after a couple weeks they just aren't the same.
                hre

Comment

Originally posted by Protraxrptr17
                  An old timer told me to wrap the welding leads around the pole a few times. I haven't tried that yet to see if it helps.
                  Hi Protraxrptr17, that old timer gave you really good advice ! When driving and splicing H-piles arc blow can drive you nuts. Especially when the blow count goes anywhere over a 100. We always wrapped the ground lead around the driven section 3 or 4 times, if that didn’t help re-wrap it in the other direction. If that didn’t help, we would make the root pass with 6010, then fill with 7018. I’ve had really good luck with the Innershield wires that are straight polarity. Every once in awhile you’d get a pile that had so much arc blow at the heel of the web to flange, it would make you want to pull your hair out
                  Attached Files

Comment

Excaliber get my vote,I stock lincoln and hobart in 7018 and sell more lincoln ex,than any others but I sell more Miller welders than Lincoln welders

Comment

how about some pics of welds

i was fascinated by some of the welds on one of the welding forums that the mig weldors were showing. it was a contest of sorts. what about that but only with smaw?

Comment

Here’s the best I got on film. So let me get the excuses out of the way first. I haven’t welded consistently since about 1987, or professionally since 1994. This is an overhead weld I made last spring while building a gooseneck adapter for a friend. 1/8-inch 7018. Yeah I know, don’t laugh!
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't see anyhting to laugh about there. Very nice.
                          Zeb's Welding and Machine

Comment

PB, ditto what Protrax said, looks pretty slick to me.
                            hre

Comment

7018 rod

hey coalsmoke, gotta love that Air Liquide eh? That is some of the best rod that I've ever used. We've tried alot over the years, our current is ESAB. I love this rod, they make a 5/64 7018 that welds 16 ga like popsicle sticks!! This rod is very smooth on the inverters . One not to buy > Praxair. This is one of the worst welding rods that I've ever tried. We ordered like a ton one time, everyone hated it, we complained,and our supplier let us keep over half for FREE! It makes great couch shims . Honestly, if you struck an arc with their 3/32 7018, if it stuck and you moved your hand all of the flux fell off instantly . If I remember correctly I looked at the package and it was made in India, I could be wrong though. I'm always suspicious when someone gives something away for free. Obviously they were defective.

Cheers, and
                              are we there yet?

Comment

Hay fasbu, great to hear from you, how are the courses going? It seems that the LA7018 (air liquide) is all anyone uses around here, or at least it sure is popular. Don't see hardly anyone selling lincoln 7018, but lots of Lincoln 5p+. Thanks for the heads up about he Praxair rods. I had bad service from them once and have stayed away since.
                                hre

Comment

Working...
                                X