dynasty 200dx capabilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dynasty 200dx capabilities

I recently bought a dynasty 200dx with a diamondback tig torch package. I know that there is a contractor package availiable but it is only rated to 150 amps so i bought a 200 amp air cooled torch. Was this a waste of money and can the contractor kit be used at amperages above 150? How much will the torch heat up if I am welding over 150 amps? Will the torch get so hot that I am unable to hold it?

I have read many of the posts on this forum and hear about people who are selling their dynasty 200 to upgrade to a dynasty 300, why is this(besides more power how much thicker material can you weld using the dynasty 300?)

I am running 100% argon with the dynasty, what would be the maximum thinkness of steel, stainless steel, and aluminium that I could weld with my dynasty 200dx.

I am not sure if the diamondback tig torch kit comes with a gas lense and I am wondering what do they do?

Is the pulse on the dynasty availiable on both dc and ac?
    IN general i would like some opinions about the dynasty 200dx its advantages and its disadvantages.

dynasty200dx with diamondback tig torch

200dx

Hi 3faze.
    I hate to sound like a broken record but ? You have an excellent machine with outstanding performance & tries all but the best of the best.By your post you are new to tig? All I can say is read every thing you can find on the web & books. ( miller welds has some excellent pointers ) Your best bet is to find a tig welder & offer to buy the beer, argon, & filler to watch the dance.You will learn in 30 min. ( & can't understand, it looks so simple & easy to do ) why these people are so proud & respected amoung the welding crowd. Or take a class at your local collage. Hope this helps a little. After all is said & done the word is practice , practice , practice & then do a lot more.

gregg

Comment

3faze

short anser is you waisted $$$ the 150 amp tig torch in the cont. kit is rated at 100% duty cycle at 150 amps. if you look at the duty cycle of the dyn.200Dx you will see it is similer in its duty cycle. i would say the best thing you can do at this point is read and do as Spoolup89 said.you can download a TIG book at the miller site that will be a good starting point. as for its pros & cons. the dyn.200DX is all Pro's.

do not use pure tungsten with this welder and never ball the tungsten.

if you dont understand this statment dont start the dyn.200 untill you do you can sereously damage it. it is a great welder and will last you a lifee time if properly used.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by 3faze
        I recently bought a dynasty 200dx with a diamondback tig torch package. I know that there is a contractor package available but it is only rated to 150 amps so i bought a 200 amp air cooled torch. Was this a waste of money and can the contractor kit be used at amperages above 150? How much will the torch heat up if I am welding over 150 amps? Will the torch get so hot that I am unable to hold it?

I have read many of the posts on this forum and hear about people who are selling their dynasty 200 to upgrade to a dynasty 300, why is this(besides more power how much thicker material can you weld using the dynasty 300?)

I am running 100% argon with the dynasty, what would be the maximum thinkness of steel, stainless steel, and aluminium that I could weld with my dynasty 200dx.

I am not sure if the diamondback tig torch kit comes with a gas lense and I am wondering what do they do?

Is the pulse on the dynasty availiable on both dc and ac?
        IN general i would like some opinions about the dynasty 200dx its advantages and its disadvantages.

dynasty200dx with diamondback tig torch
        Welcome and congratulations on your new Dynasty 200DX!

As fun4now mentioned the 150 amp torch in he contractor kit is more than adequate. It's duty cycle exceeds that of the machine. The 200 amp torch will stay cooler longer at higher amperages, but both will get warm to the touch. If you plan to weld at the top end of the machines amperage and duty cycle rating, then a water cooled #20 torch with a cooler is a good option to look into.

The pulse feature is great for everyday use. It is available on AC and DC. My recommendation is learning the basics of GTAW without the pulse feature. Then check out the great AC and DC pulsing features available on the D200DX. Electrode negative balance and arc frequency are also available on AC only.

The biggest advantages of the Dynasty 200DX are DIG control (for hard to burn rods when stick welding), great wave shaping capabilities on AC (adjustment of the amount of + cleaning action versus the amount of - penetration action during the squarewave output cycle), The ability to widen or narrow the arc cone with the 20-250HZ arc frequency adjustment, the Advanced Squarewave arc only requiring high frequency during the arc initiation on DC and AC then the HF drops out leaving a nice stable arc, a very clean DC and AC arc, 100-500VAC 1 and/or 3 phase inpout power capability, very portable at 50 lbs.

The only real disadvantage to the Dynasty 200DX is the price. I have welded materials as thin as .004" and as thick as 1/4" with no problems using argon gas and no specialty equipment. There are many tricks to the trade, but the best time you can spend, as already touched on by Spoolup89, is one on one with an accomplished tig operator. This willl be worth more than any book or video. Remember torch angle is important.

Gas lenses basically spread the gas out and allow it to blanket the work area providing for better coverage when welding materials that need to be well shielded until they cool below their oxidation temperature: titanium and stainless steel are two good examples. Gas lenses can also be used for most general applications with steel and aluminum too! Try a standard cup and collet body set up that comes with the contractor kit, then switch to a gas lens to see the difference. Be sure to order the gas lenses for you torch type. A typical 150 amp torch with the contractor kit is a #17 and a 200 amp air cooled torch is a #26.

Again welcome and post again soon.

Comment

thanks for all the info and tips. I have already taken several cources at the local college and I'm okay at tig, stick, and mig welding. Unfortunatly I wasn't aware that the contractors kit would be fine, but as hawk said the diamondback torch will stay cooler. I think down the road I might upgrade to a watercooler. The closest machine to the dynasty 200 i have used is the dynasty 300 and i was amazed by the arc quality. I am not too familiar with the balance percentages but i bought some welding books and I plan to read up on it. Also with the diamondback package I get that welding book from miller.

Anyone know what would be the maximum thinkness that i could weld with argon in aluminum, steel and ss.

Comment

About 1/4" is the max for the D200DX using argon and no special tips and tricks. In all fairness the machine is designed for 3/16" max thickness all around GTAW. It all depends on the base metals, joint design and surface area of the weldment: the overall "big picture".

Comment

Working...
            X