No announcement yet.

What happened here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what kind of postflow time should I shoot for with ~ 130A on AC?

as far as the torch angle, being the beginner that I am, I'm mainly practiced in one position: welding a bead coming straight towards me with the torch leaning slightly away from me and the filler rod coming in between me and the torch. But, in the case of trying to write "help!" somewhat quickly I was doing the welds at different angles than I normally do and it wouldn't surprise me if I was doing some odd angles. As I type this, I'm realizing that this is probably an odd angle to have focused on, but 99% of what I've welded so far is exhaust and intake tubing, held in a vice, and that seems to be the most comfortable way for me to approach that type of weld. Oh well, I'm sure with another couple hundred hours of practicing it will all fall into place

Comment

I think I recall you said you were using 3/32 tung. I'd say about 7-9 sec.

Do a test bead of about an inch at your avg current then stop the weld and watch your tungsten. If your post flow is too short you will see brown/purple/black on your tungsten from it reacting with air while the tung was still hot. Similarly, don't move your torch away too fast when you finish your weld as the quick movement will allow air to contaminate the tung, giving the same result as a short post flow.

BTW, you want your tung to appear somewhat flat grey color up to the ball which should appear chrome like.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim2
        Jeff, More pictures! It's interesting to see your progress.
        i agree, keep em coming!
        The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Hawk,

How do you apply the protex chemical? do you just brush it on and let it sit for a minute? or, should i scrub it into the aluminum with a stainless brush?

thanks
          dave.

Comment

I pour some into a plastic medicine cup and dip a SS toothbrush in it and then gently brush it across the aluminum. Usually a minute or less of sitting on the base metal will do a fine job. If it is some really nasty material, I brush mildly and let it sit.

Always wear eye protection, long sleeves, and gloves. It will splatter-bad news on bare skin and eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
              I pour some into a plastic medicine cup and dip a SS toothbrush in it and then gently brush it across the aluminum. Usually a minute or less of sitting on the base metal will do a fine job. If it is some really nasty material, I brush mildly and let it sit.

Always wear eye protection, long sleeves, and gloves. It will splatter-bad news on bare skin and eyes.
              After you let it set for the minute or so...do you wash it off? Wipe it off? Or what (I've not bought any yet, directions may be on the bottle! Sorry for the DA question, just curious )
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
              1971 Roughneck 1e
              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
              Optrel Satellite OSE
              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
              O/A Set
              Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
              1.5 kVA Spot Welder
              Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
              My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Wiping with a clean dry cloth works though the directions recommend a water rinse before drying. I try to at least dip in a water bucket and then dry. It makes it easier to dry-less friction between the cloth and the base metal. At any rate it really cleans.

As for the ? on ingredients-nothing listed.

Comment

Working...
                X