Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wronghand
    replied
    My '97 powerstroke (7.3 obviously) has 270k on it plus an a** load of idling hours--winter time in the 'patch, you know how it is-- and it's still running strong. It's starting to use a little oil these days but other than that it's top notch. Gonna rebuild the motor this winter-- I'd waayyy rather do that than buy any of the new diesels out there.

Oh and the second pic is my old welding truck at the mine. '76 F-350 with the 390 in it. Another bullet proof Ford
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    Good videos, the last 3 are REALLY worth the watch if you own a 6.0 Ford diesel.

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    The 7.3 are rock solid my 99-350 pu has 171k and running strong.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    This kid explains it all.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJL9EVbVwck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgkmdLN8mD0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7JEHLYyJ4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMpJ63eTNw

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    Originally posted by atc250r View Post
    You have it backwards. International (Navistar) built the 7.3 Power Stroke, the 6.0 and the 6.4 for Ford. From '99 (for sure, maybe earlier, too) right up till 2010. This new for 2011 6.7 is Ford built and designed. Its Ford's first diesel in a long time and from what I'm hearing, this new engine is actually working out pretty good. Ford's fallout with Navistar stems from all the warranty work that recent engines (mostly the 6.0) cost Ford, and so Ford took Navistar to court, asking for millions of dollars to recoup some of the money Ford had to spend on warranty claims from Navistar's faults. Not sure how that played out (probably still in the courts), but Ford had enough and spent millions on their OWN diesel.
    youre prolly right, i might have it backwards... albeit, im not so sure of the 6.7 some of my buddies are having overheating problems with them already... the 6.9 was gutless, but lasted a good while and the 7.3 was danged near bullet proof... the few ford medium duty mechs that i know have all said that it was ford that imposed to specs for the 6.0 and 6.4 and navistar had to comply, it was not a navistar engine through and through... was told that the real navistar was the 6.9 and 7.3, then again, mechanics are like welders.... we know it all and drink too much

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    The 7.3's were a good motor, it's unfortunate that between the government regulations and the Ford/ International interface that things kinda go bad.

I know a guy up here that took a F350 (or 450, I can't remember) with a 7.3 (don't remember what year) and put it back the way it was meant to be. What I mean is he took all of the Ford electronics and injection stuff off and replaced it with the stuff that International uses in their other applications. He then tore the rear suspension and the front suspension (2wd) out and built a 4 link with air bags.
    WOW!!! Now he has a truck. That thing gets 22 miles to the imperial gallon... while towing 10,000 + lbs. It rides like a luxury car empty or loaded... but it probably gets better mileage empty than the luxury car.

Oh well, all in the name of progress.

Leave a comment:

• Sonora Iron
    replied
    Just think Cummins!

Leave a comment:

• atc250r
    replied
    Originally posted by welder_one View Post
    you are not the only person that i have seen with mega problems outta the newer ford diesels... i have a 7.3 IDI turbo (right before the power stroke) and it has well earned its keep other than eating tires off of it... ive also seen d-max/ allison runnin with 600k mileage and still tuggin everyday...

i think ford should give it up, kiss a$$ to international and let them build a motor again for the trucks...when international navistar was building the motors for those trucks, they held up real nice like, soon as ford took it into their own hands, they suck
    You have it backwards. International (Navistar) built the 7.3 Power Stroke, the 6.0 and the 6.4 for Ford. From '99 (for sure, maybe earlier, too) right up till 2010. This new for 2011 6.7 is Ford built and designed. Its Ford's first diesel in a long time and from what I'm hearing, this new engine is actually working out pretty good. Ford's fallout with Navistar stems from all the warranty work that recent engines (mostly the 6.0) cost Ford, and so Ford took Navistar to court, asking for millions of dollars to recoup some of the money Ford had to spend on warranty claims from Navistar's faults. Not sure how that played out (probably still in the courts), but Ford had enough and spent millions on their OWN diesel.

Leave a comment:

• welder_one
    replied
    you are not the only person that i have seen with mega problems outta the newer ford diesels... i have a 7.3 IDI turbo (right before the power stroke) and it has well earned its keep other than eating tires off of it... ive also seen d-max/ allison runnin with 600k mileage and still tuggin everyday...

i think ford should give it up, kiss a$$ to international and let them build a motor again for the trucks...when international navistar was building the motors for those trucks, they held up real nice like, soon as ford took it into their own hands, they suck

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    More trouble

Sunday the truck cut out on the hiway rolled off restarted stumbled and died won,t restart.Buddy of mine tows me into my shop.Iscan it monday am find a code for fuel pump on d-side frame rail.Got to the stealer pu one for $350 w/ wire harness you need for the new style pump.Get it in and decide to take a look at my old filter inside the pump housing, it,s loaded with rust and galvy flake which overheated the pump and shut it down.Call the dealer and tell him my rear tank is rotting from the inside out just under 25k on the truck 6yrs old.He calls ford they won,t help me.Call the owner of the dealers cell# have done welding for him a few times and are friends he says he,ll call ford and start twisting some arms see what he can do.Iread 10 months ago about the problem ford is having with there 40gal. rear tanks.Why they would not hold there vendor acountable for poor workmenship is beyond me.Got a price of $750 with a discount from parts dept at the same dealer,but waiting to hear back from the owner about maybe getting one for free.I don,t mind doing the labor but i should not have to buy a new tank imo.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    Originally posted by calweld View Post
    Hey admweld, you need one of these, no warranty issues, no breakdowns, I think I've only bought oil and filters for this the last 5 years. Oh, wait, I forgot, had to replace a couple clearance lights also
    Cal,
    Thats not fair, If you never take the big rig on the road you'll never have a break down, Seams to me you have a new chevy pick up welding rig with warrante and shiny paint.

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    Originally posted by admweld View Post
    Rig goes into tomorrow for a bad drivers side ball joint with 12,500k mi.At least its not the turbo again,But you,d think ford would wise up and add zerk fitting to there ball joints.
    Does anything have grease zerks from the factory anymore?
    I hope you have better luck with your next truck purchase, whatever it may be! How much bad luck can a guy have with one truck, I think this one takes the cake!

Leave a comment:

• admweld
    replied
    here #120 post on this thread

Yes the truck had trouble again this morning.Heading down the hiway at 2AM going to my snow plowing Rt,I heard a loud thud and air dicharging loadly thinking a blew a tire,maybe hit some chunk if steel in road. Got out looked no flat hear the motor don't sound right shut it down and find the intercooer rubber hose just in front of turbo off and clamp laying.Now i open my tool box get the 1/4" drive ratchet and socket climb up on the truck grab
    the hose and clamp and the clamp is busted SS band with threaded stud and spring.Got two off the dealer this morning for free,one for the truck one to have in stock.I used two radiatior hose clamps to make one to hold me over till i could get a right one.All this on the side of the hiway with it snowing just my luck.
    Last edited by admweld; 11-25-2010, 10:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• calweld
    replied
    It rhymes, it's poetry. After we get done with the next group hug, we'll all get together for some poetry reading, . As I understand it, this is done here in California all the time

Leave a comment:

• J hall
    replied
    Originally posted by calweld View Post
    We're poets now?????
    What poetry? It's an old biker saying..."Chrome won't get you home...But it might get you laid"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X