X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stick rod
    Not a Ford man.
    Yeah me neither!

When I started shopping for a new truck I wanted a Dodge / Cummins in the worst way! But after researching Dodge, I would be spending $35,000.00 + on a Cummins engine. Dodge doesn’t offer anything that is ½ the truck this is! GM was out of the question, I’ve owned 2 GM trucks, and had quite a few company ones. Never had any real complaints about their drive train, just all the little things like door handles breaking off in your hand before driving it off the lot, windows that don’t go up and down, gauges that never worked from the first day. You know crap like that.

So the way I figured it, I could spend $30,000.00 for this truck, gamble that this POS engine would last 5 to 10-years with me only driving it 3,500 to 4,000 miles a year. Worst case, I’ll have a motor home class Cummins with a Suncoast transmission installed in it.

Sure I could have bought a Kodiak or Top Kick. Or even an F-650. But I wanted something that could legally haul 5-tons, and not look like a Peterbuilt or Kenworth, just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke
      Come to think of it, I don't really think there is any educated person that would disagree with that statement.
      Ack! Puhleese stop yusing big wurds....

Comment

2004 F-550. I built a 14-foot flatbed dump for it
        Attached Files

Comment

Bully Dog

Speaking of Diesel performance, I saw the Bully Dog 2006 Ford at the PRI show in Orlando December 6, 05. This thing is built to the max.
          Here is the link:
          http://www.bullydog.com/Ford_2006.php

Good luck with your rig.
          MILLER DYNASTY 200 DX
          MILLER COOLMATE 3

Comment

Here we go again guys ,My truck was at dealer again today for yet another turbo..Saturday on my way back from i job i was on the hiway climbing a hill and could not go any faster than 40mph the turbo was dead i had no power and i limped back to the shop.I,m very unhappy with this 6.0 in my 04 550 it has eatin 4 turbos and i have only 11k yes that is not a typo 11k Anyone else have this much bad luck with these 6.0.
            BB402D
            TB300D
            DIMENSION652
            MM250X
            MAXSTAR140
            S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

I've never seen anyone have that much trouble with there 6.0 before. The 03 and 04's are notorious for having torbo problems. I would just change it out for a 7.3 Powerstoke turbo. You can always do a Cummins swap in it cause they show how to do it in the Feb. 07 DIESEL BUILDER magazine.

Comment

admweld,dont feel like the lone ranger,we have a new 550 with 6.0 at work with 1600 miles just come back today for new turbo.closest dealer would not even take it,too many 6.0 waiting for turbo.we went 100 miles away to find a dealer not backlogged with blowed up engines or bad turbo.dealer said some are pulling top off pistons.

Comment

admweld I sure feel your pain! I too have never heard of so much trouble with a 6.0L

But get this, my buddy Jack stopped by this morning on his way to Seattle. He just returned from California last week. While unloading his 2000 3/4-ton Dodge pickup, the truck started missing, then died. Injector / fuel pump is out. Dealer wants $2,000.00, a place in north Tacoma will replace for a little over $1,000.00. Jack will call tomorrow and see if they can take his truck in tomorrow. Guess who gets to haul it in? Yup good ol Pile Buck and his Ford.

Hope I remember the camera!

Comment

Originally posted by Pile Buck View Post
                    Aren’t twin screws coming out in 2007?

Yep,their using a sequential turbos to provide more power across the entire powerband.An electronically controlled VGT on low end to provide extra boost at takeoff.Then the larger fixed blade turbo joins in and the two work in tandem till cruising speeds are reached then the larger turbo eventually takes over.
                    Diesel Builder Mag has a Cummins engine swap for the Fords.

Comment

thanks guys

This truck does run good when it is all working properly.As for capacity coal i,m at 16,400lbs a 12,500lbsgvw in a dodge wont cut it for me i actually need to step up but money not there to do it like into a 4900 int, or 650ford.Thanks guy for the info about other 6.0,s i,m not alone in this that one good thing i thought it might have been just my luck.
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

I joined a Dodge truck forum last week, been spending a lot of time there reading and learning about the new 6.7 Cummins, Aisin, and 68 RFE automatic transmissions. A guy posted that he read the new 6.7 will cost $7,100.00 and the auto, not sure if he meant the Aisin or the 68RFE will cost $1,600.00. On Dodge’s build a truck web site they are still only listing the 5.9, and the 4-speed auto. The 5.9 MSRP is $5,605.00 and the 4-speed auto is $1,059.00, so you’re looking at a $2,000.00 increase, now these are MSRP, your negotiating skills will have a great impact on this price.

From what I’m understanding is the cab & chassis are getting the Aisin transmission with the 305-HP 6.7 Cummins, which have been available since October or November 2006. The pickup bed class will get the 68RFE transmission, but will also get the 350-HP 6.7 Cummins, and should be available in the spring or just before summer.

We’ll see, it’s still early yet, a lot of speculation right now!

Comment

That new engine scares me more than the 6.0.....Ford always needs a few years to get the spooks out of something new
                          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by J hall View Post
                            That new engine scares me more than the 6.0.....Ford always needs a few years to get the spooks out of something new
                            agreeing 100%
                            BB402D
                            TB300D
                            DIMENSION652
                            MM250X
                            MAXSTAR140
                            HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

All of the companies always need a couple years to work out the bugs.

Comment

Truck ran good today,for how long will wait and see.
                                BB402D
                                TB300D
                                DIMENSION652
                                MM250X
                                MAXSTAR140
                                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Working...
                                X