Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for the mythical "COPPER SPOON"

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Lincoln 135 mig at a garage sale and have become addicted! Besides achieving Godlike power through the ability to melt raw steel together (insert Tim "The Toolman" Taylor primal grunts here), I am single-handedly making my local welding supply store owner a very wealthy man (he's starting to refer to Bill Gates as "poor ol' Bill"), and of course my steel supply store has a new Ferrari sitting in front of it also.

However, even though my arrival at any of the suppliers is greeted with a red carpet lined with rows of trumpeters, and virgins throwing rose petals before my feet, no one has, or knows where I can get a copper spoon. Though I don’t even know what a copper spoon looks like, I know I NEED one! After all, I have read about them on this and other welding forums, so acquiring one is as essential as my need for every size and composition of wire ever made with gun liners for each, and every variation of gas mixture available. If I can’t find a copper spoon soon, I will surely perish!

Seriously though, I want to fill several trim attachment holes in some body panels on a car I’m restoring, and even though I’ve practiced on scrap panels by drilling and filling about a trillion holes, I have read, and been told that a copper spoon is the only way to go, but I can’t find one at any welding, metal, or auto body supply stores (I generally get a puzzled stare, as though I have asked for an “atomic widget”, or asked them to explain how a woman thinks). The internet has proved equally useless, as any combination of “welding”, “copper spoon”, “auto body repair”, etc., generally turns up “hotel rooms in Vegas” (as does ANY internet search). So where can I find this Holy Grail of welding supplies.

Lastly, even though I know that if I ever find this elusive copper spoon, I will instantly become a master welder, and never burn through the metal again, how exactly am I supposed to use it? Does it pass its mystical welding prowess to me by simply possessing one, or do I have to eat with it to attain its power? Or am I supposed to threaten my welder with a sound “copper spoon” beating if it doesn’t start producing perfect welds. Any help on obtaining and using one will be GREATLY appreciated.

'bout one third down the linked pagehttp://www.htpweld.com/products/accessories/a1.html

it's use is pretty self-explanitory, you weild it like a sword to fend off the evil sheet metal demons, or you hold it to the back side of the hole or seam to suck off the heat/provide a non-stick surface to hold up the weld metal.

Comment

Even though I avoid sheet metal work like the plague, I have seen copper used for repairing holes in motorcycle fenders, etc. The copper is used as a backing (held in place behind the hole), and you weld over top of it. Copper is used because it won't fuse to the steel (hopefully). Most of the folks that I have seen use this method had some type of copper electrical fitting (ground bars mostly) that they had found or been given over the years, but you should be able to find something that would work at an electrical supply or from an electrician. Hope that sheds some light on it for you.

Comment

You've just found the Copper Spoon !!!

Well the "spoon" is a lot closer than you thought. I've been using a "spoon" for more years than I want to remember.
        Just go to your local plumbing store and buy a lenght of 1/2" copper pipe, cut it into various lengths, then flatten the end with a vise, make one end straight, the other a 90 degree bend and wallah, you now have the "mythical spoon" .
        Cut various lengths so you can use them in different locations, and wear a glove when using the spoon...copper will get very hot when used for long periods of time.
        Now that your problem is solved, go to work, and fill those holes!
        Millermatic 251
        Synchrowave 180
        Hobart Beta-mig 200
        Lincoln SP175
        HyperTherm 380
        Victor O/A

Comment

yep any old piece of copper will work i ran across some 1/4" thick copper 2" wide and various lengths, as stated earlier just hold it on the back side and weld away! if you get it too hot it will stick though so the thicker the copper the better it will disipate heat better.
          The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Eastwood has some stuff also...Check this link...
            http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...keyword=copper
            HTH
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
            1971 Roughneck 1e
            Stars-n-Stripes BWE
            Optrel Satellite OSE
            ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
            Lincoln 200SA Diesel
            O/A Set
            Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
            1.5 kVA Spot Welder
            Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
            My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

I have assorted copper backing plates from 1/8" to 3/4". I use them to fill holes, as heat sinks for welding small objects ,and also for wrapping heavily heated weldments to aid in more even cooling.

Comment

Working...
              X