national geographic show

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• national geographic show

anyone seen this show on tv tonight uss virginia submarine on megastructures very impressive i must say .
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I saw part of it but passed out on the couch. ( Old age not beer ) May try and Tivo the Repeat later on tonight.

Dennis
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Have seen it.

I have seen it and if you watch carefully they will show the inside of one of the manufacturing sheds of the ship yard you will see the biggest steel plate roller you have ever seen. It will take HY80 2 inch plate and roll it into pressure hull cylinders. It looks like three huge steel cylinders standing on end is is at the back near the opening of the building.
      MM251
      Synchrowave 200

PowerMax380
      Victor O/A
      Century 155GS
      Big Window Elite

Run silent, run deep

Comment

Originally posted by OldNavy
        you will see the biggest steel plate roller you have ever seen. It will take HY80 2 inch plate and roll it into pressure hull cylinders. It looks like three huge steel cylinders standing on end is is at the back near the opening of the building.
        I’d like to see that. My brother-n-law was telling me, the last project he did before retiring from the government was build a break. For an in house project, this break could bend 4-inch thick plate. He welded all the hydraulic lines, 100,000. PSI

Comment

I didn't know there were any large volume pumps rated as high as 100,000psi.
          hre

Comment

Hey it’s the US government, money is no object Knowing where he worked, sheet they probably made the pump. He had done a lot of work on the different space shuttles over the years also.

Comment

next time you talk to him, ask him if he knows if they used an intensifier or simply staged pumps? I'd be curious just to know. One things for sure, you wouldn't catch me around there for the initial cycle tests. I've seen 5,000 psi hyd and even 10,000psi jack line go pop, but I can't imagine 100,000psi.
              hre

Comment

I’ll try to remember to ask him, he lives in CA east of the Bay Area. Here is a picture that he e-mailed me. Which 99% of his work was top secrete, so he doesn’t talk much about it (suck up) ! He mostly did electron beam welding. But if I remember correctly this was cut out with a laser, and even welded with a laser, but don’t hold me to that . At one time he was telling me technically the electron beam welder he used could weld 36-inch dia SS round stock 100% penetration with a single pass , but it would dim all the lights in the local town
                Attached Files

Comment

old navy

OLDNAVY , I saw that roll it said it had 5500 tons of force and they where rolling some massive plate.did you work or in the navy? noticing your screen name thats what i thought maybe?any way i would recommend this program it was interesting.
                  BB402D
                  TB300D
                  DIMENSION652
                  MM250X
                  MAXSTAR140
                  HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Worked a short time at EB in RI.There is some really cool fab stuff at that facility.

Comment

Stickrod what is eb?
                      BB402D
                      TB300D
                      DIMENSION652
                      MM250X
                      MAXSTAR140
                      HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

EB - Electron Beam, done in a vacumn chamber. Arc won't start if the vac isn't near perfect. Penetration is incredable, beam stoppers are required to stop the beam as it exits the material. Thickest stuff I've seem welded is 2.0 plate, 100% penetration, you get drop thru on the exit side. The Ukranians build some of the best in the world. Supposedly they have a chamber larger enough to do submarine sections... A tungsten bulb is the soruce of the arc, EB operators have to wear radiation badges to insure safety.
                        Frank
                        (aka Fred)
                        MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
                        Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
                        Dynasty 300DX
                        Spectrum 625
                        Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
                        Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
                        Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

Comment

I thought he meant General Dynamics Electric Boat:
                          http://www.gdeb.com/
                          JimP
                          MM251
                          BWE Stars & Stripes

Comment

Originally posted by admweld
                            Stickrod what is eb?
                            EB is short for Electric Boat.It`s a division of General Dynamics.Worked at the Quonset point Rhode Island facility.We built submarines(not the sandwhich)for the US Navy.

Comment

20 years SS

Yes, I was in the US Navy. Retired after 20 years service which was all spent in the submarine service either riding ballistic missile subs or other submarine related duty stations. Did a couple of years of overhaul with the USS James Madison at the Newport News Ship Yard, at that time owned by TENNECO. Watched a super carrier being built there too. Drydock 12 has a midway cofferdam which allow them to build two super carriers end to end at the same time. Electric Boat Company of Groton Ct and Newport News Ship yards are not government owned. They just do a lot of ship building and overhaul for the Navy.
                              MM251
                              Synchrowave 200

PowerMax380
                              Victor O/A
                              Century 155GS
                              Big Window Elite

Run silent, run deep

Comment

Working...
                              X