180sd problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180sd problem

worked fine for about 1 year. it now goes to what appears to be full power while using, blowing a hole in my work no matter what the power setting. dealer could not get the machine to malfunction as the problem is sporadic.

My 250 did the same thing. At first they replaced the PC board but then replaced the machine with a new one where the isue was corrected. They said it had to do with electrical interferance with the PC board. If the machine is only 1 year old I would take it to an authorized service shop.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/service/s...locations.html
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Sounds like a bad remote foot control... Or a bad current sensor. I'd see if you could borrow a foot pedal and try that first.

Andy

Comment

One of the tests that the service man had me do before bringing it in was to try welding in stick mode to see if the problem existed like that. Then again , by that time my machine was doing it constantly. They also thought the foot peddle was the most likely culprit.
        How would you check the foot controll if the problem is intermittent ?
        To all who contribute to this board.
        My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

I would recomend taking the foot pedal appart and cleaning the contacts with CRC electrical contact cleaner. It may still act up but if it doesn't then you can eliminate dirt as the culprit. It can be still a bad foot pedal but I've used one that had metal grinding dirt in it and it would do nearly what you describe.

Peace,

Comment

would a bad foot control override the power setting as the problem will occur even with the amps set at 1. thank you for the responses

Comment

Schrade, I had one like that....full frog blowout on tig and stick. I took it in and got a Hall sensor? transducer? current sensor?......it was a little blue box that fit around one of the big buss bars on the top of the welder. Whatever they called it, it worked. Charged me about 190$. Glad it wasn't a board or something real pricey.
              HTH
              Little

Comment

Working...
              X