Lincoln Invertec V205-T or Miller Dynasty 200DX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bbseay
    Fairly new here. Inside the 200dx you will find numerous parts made in china. Also www.fronius.com (a german or italian company)makes one or a few of the Miller machines. There is a chinese company with a base in America called american Chowell, they provide several componets to Miller, in fact most every company has a supply stream coming from tiawan or hong kong. American Assembled is not american made. Both machines would be a good choice.
    I believe that Fronius did manufacture the Maxstar 140 (no longer in production) and that it is located in Austria (their Magicwave 2200 looks like at great ac/dc tig machine). Also to the D200DX, L205VT & HTP201, I would note that the TA185TSW is a good choice, esp. since they are 45% cheaper. It is true that parts for everything are made everwhere, so we need to count on the company that sells the finished product to take care of the machine after the sale. I believe that ITW/Miller/Hobart is well up to that task.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Ever had a close look at a ducati, or maybe a ferrari?

I wouldnt be afraid of italian engineering.

Comment

lol very true.
        Trailblazer 302g
        coolmate4
        hf-251d-1
        super s-32p
        you can never know enough

Comment

Unixadm, Do you the duty cycle of the 200DX at 200A on 230v single-phase and amperage draw/requirement? My breaker I has 120/208 stamped on the outside, how would that differ? I believe my dad got this off of a job he was working on so I am not sure of the actual voltage.

If funds provide I will be purchasing a water cooler at the same time or very new future. At my school the Precision TIG 275 I am using has a water cooler and I thought it was nice and did not realize how hot the torch gets if you are using an air cooled, I found that after trying and older TIG machine we have there that is air cooled, I lasted only about 2 4” long beads and moved back, I guess I was spoiled. Although I thought the air cooled torch had more flexibility (cable positioning) but the larger water cooled felt better in the hand.

One of the other things I did like about the Lincoln is the watercooler and its compactness and cleanliness. The Coolmate 3 and 4 are larger, and out of the two I would prefer the looks of the Coolmate 3, but the portablity of the 4, so most likely I would be choosing the coolmate 4 if/when it comes time.

Dandimand, do you know the duty cycle at 200 amps on 208-240V single-phase and amperage draw/requirement?

Helocat, thanks for the advice, I read somewhere that the Lincoln’s setup is more difficult, but I think it was on some Miller literature, this just helps prove it.

Sundown, one of the reasons for considering the two above, other than they are the only type of units that suit the amperage I have available, is the fat they will also run on 115v, which increases the portability.

Comment

Originally posted by RadMan
            Ever had a close look at a ducati, or maybe a ferrari?

I wouldnt be afraid of italian engineering.

For 200 grand you should get something good.........
            Is there a 15 grand ferrari you can compare to a saturn?
            I doubt it...

Comment

I do not know the actual duty cycle at 100% for the Dynasty 200DX on 230V. You'll probably need to use a DVOM and measure your input voltage. The more volts, the less amps that will be required. I've been running my 200DX up to it's max on a 30amp circuit and have yet to trip the breaker. A safe bet may be a 40amp circuit.

As for the water-coolers, yes the Coolmate 3 is a bit large. It was designed for a machine to sit on top. The 300DX actually bolts to the top of a Coolmate 3 when sold in the TIGRunner. So with that said, it's a nice cooler. I don't really care for the Coolmate 4, but it is more portable. The Lincoln Magnum coolers are a lot smaller - but to me, my Coolmate 3 fits on my cart nicely and it works great.

You can see some pics of my 200DX and Coolmate 3 here:

http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/we...s/dynastycart/
              David W.
              Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
              Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

Comment

As others have mentioned, the HTP Invertig 201 is another contender:

http://www.htpweld.com/products/tig_welders/tig201.html

$2799 water cooled, $2295 air cooled.

Lot of info on HTP on the Hobart forum as well as here. 90 day free trial.
                Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Originally posted by eyecandy
                  <snipSundown, one of the reasons for considering the two above, other than they are the only type of units that suit the amperage I have available, is the fat they will also run on 115v, which increases the portability.
                  Yes, having the ability to use it most anywhere is a plus if needed. If you need an AC side and also need 120V then either the Lincoln or the Miller will be a quality machine, my personal choice would be the D200DX. The reason I purchased a TA185 was the money difference (45% less) and the fact that I have a factory authorized service center for TA 5 minutes from me, plus I looked at how many times I needed to use the 120V capability of my Maxstar 150 STL (now a STH) and found it was only one time in two years, and that job could have been done with my 120V mig with no problem. I wish you good luck with whatever you decide to get.
                  Regards, George

Comment

I don;t know what specs Laiky was looking at, but saying the Dynasty "outclassed" the V-205 in all specs is ridiculous. IF you are judging by specs alone, and you objectively put aside any biases toward one brand or the other, the V-205T edges out the Dynasty 200DX.

Comment

Asking a question here what welding machine is perferred is not receiving a good sample since most people here are Miller fans (even me). Lincoln needs a forum. I do own mostly Lincoln and some very high quality, elite, Taiwan purchsed tig welding AC/DC machinery,that probably exceeds most of what you can buy both from Miller or Lincoln at 1/3 of the price.

Comment

well i know i use my dynasty at full max all the time and that is its only purpose as for mobile cast welding of aluminum . the fan inside comes on after about 10 minutes of on off welding etc.. but it seems to work fine . If your doing alot of aluminum and dont need the portabilty i would get a transformer machine or if you can afford it go with the larger inverter. Ps i have no problem with either lincoln or miller and own both . for daily shop work though i personally would not use any of these little inverters Imho a bigger machine will last longer . As i like a larger duty cycle that is why my shop machine is an aerowave full feature which i love by the way best machine ive ever owned. If you dont need the portabilty maybe look for a syncrowave 351 im sure there are lots of good used ones out there as well and the lincoln models .my dynasty is only to see a max of 8 hours usage per week or less.my aerowave has paid for itself many times over especially on magnesium and difficult to weld castings etc...
                        Miller aerowave full feature
                        Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
                        dynasty 200 dx
                        lincoln sp 135 plus
                        302 trailblazer
                        s22p12
                        powcon starcut
                        cp 400 metal spray

Comment

I think he may have been saying that the tiawan stuff was 3 times more, or, that L and M are 1/3 the cost.
                          hre

Comment

Unixdam, this DVOM do I just test the voltage currently there, or need to test it with the welder in place?

That’s a nice looking cart and table you have there, that’s giving me some ideas.

Precisionworks, how does this 90-day free trial work? I assume if you are not happy with it after 90 days you can return it for a refund? But again the problem is this is 230 volts only.

Sundown, I see your point about the 115v. Which this could be the same case for myself, but I am sure that if I bought one that was 230V only I would kick myself later on; decisions, decisions.

Bbseay, I understand what you are stating and I figured that from the beginning, although there have been a few people that chimmed in that have used or owned both, or that own neither of the two. Yes I agree it would be nice to have a Lincoln forum available.

Whats this Taiwan company?

Dandimand, again as I stated before the transformer units require more amps than available, besides from reading it seems that the inverter based units are better suited for Aluminum do to the ability to run higher frequencies, plus other than Max amps of 200, these units seem to have better or more features available. Now the problem with going with a larger inverter based unit, as in the 300DX is $$$$, this is already more than what I would like to spend. But since most of my aluminum welding will be in the 1/16-1/8 range the power should be just fine. Plus I do not see myself welding daily with this, maybe a few times a week or month. I just need the ability to TIG weld aluminum.

What about accessories? Is it better to run the manufacturer's or piece the needed accessories toegther yourself?

Comment

"Whats this Taiwan company?", I think several members would like to know the name of this equipment and who makes it, come on now, fess up, I guess it must exist but a search turns up nothing, maybe I just missed it
                              Regards, George

Comment

Eyecandy,

You would simply connect a digital volt ohm meter and probe your 220V outlet, hot to hot to see what your input voltage is without the machine connected.

Thanks for the compliments. I didn't get my cart finished this weekend as I had a few other things come up. Next weekend I should have it completed and painted. I've got a 300DX TIGRunner showing up this week as well, so that may take some of my time this coming weekend as I'll want to give it a test drive.

My welding table is a lighter duty than than what a lot of the guys here have, however it's mobile and for me that's very important. It works great too. I've put 400lbs on the top of it, no problems. I'm going to add a plasma cutting grid with a sheet metal catch tray. I have a lot of fun making this stuff, but I'm wanting more and more tools so that I can do projects with higher quality and also a bit quicker. hehe.
                                David W.
                                Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
                                Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                                X