Lincoln Invertec V205-T or Miller Dynasty 200DX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Invertec V205-T or Miller Dynasty 200DX

I am torn between the Lincoln Invertec V205-T and the Miller Dynasty 200DX. I am forced to choose between the two of these because of lack of available amperage input. I have been comparing specs for specs and naturally they are very comparable, but there are a few that stand out.

Invertec V205-T spec sheets
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...ture/e3110.pdf
    Comparison
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com/p...re/e3105pc.pdf
    Dynasty 200DX spec sheet
    http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD4-8.pdf
    Comparison
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...nasty_200.html

The Lincoln will create 10 more amps at the same 40% duty cycle on 115/120v (150A v Millers 140A). The one feature I really like is on 208/230v the Dynasty cannot compare, max output with the Lincoln is 200A @ 40% duty cycle and the Miller tops out at 150A @ 60% duty cycle on the same input voltage, that’s a 50A difference and with most of my welding going to be Aluminum it seems like the Lincoln is the logical choice in terms of Amperage output. I like the fact the Miller could go more places, but it is VERY unlikely I will be using this is a Phase III power zone. The Miller seems to have more Frequency adjustability 20-250Hz v 20-150Hz on the Lincoln, and over 85Hz the Lincoln is limited to 170A max (according to Millers comparison).

I am not sure which is better but the Lincoln has 53.7 OCV with the Miller having an 80 OCV, but the Miller has the Low OCV stick 12-16V.

A few specs I am unsure of is the Miller has Initial and Final slope is this the same or equivalent to the Lincoln’s Up and Down slope? The Miller has the Advanced Square Wave, and the Lincoln has AC balance control, again are these to features the same/similar?

Here are a few things I saw the Miller has and did not find anything on the Lincoln if they have something equivalent, according to the competitive comparison the Lincoln does not, I am not sure how accurate the data Miller is stating for the Lincoln. Lincoln does not compare theirs to the 200DX, but rather the 300DX.

-Fan on Demand
    -Wind Tunnel Technology
    -Thermal Overload protection

One thing I saw the Lincoln has but could not find a similar feature on the Miller (probably would not be used, just like the Phase III on the Miller, but need to get more info on how it exactly works).

-Power from Engine Drive
    -Another is the 2-step and 4-step operation modes. Not sure what this does.

I have been trying to get feedback on both of the units and it seems more people have the Dynasty 200DX and seems like they would not trade it for the world, which is leaning me towards the Miller. I have yet to find any users with the Invertec V205-T. Although from people I talk to they are either one way or the other, biased towards one of the companies’ products. At my school I have been using a Precision Tig 275, and would like to do some welding with the Miller Syncrowave 350 we have as well, to get a feel for the differences. My teacher swears by Lincoln products, and I tend to believe the same since he is very reputable and has taught me everything I know. I have found similar pricing over the net, and have not contacted any locals in my area. Would you recommend buying on-line or with a local shop?

I am sorry for the long read, any help would be greatly appreciated! I know I will prolbably get some biased answers, but that is too be expected since this is a Miller forum.

EC
    I have the V-205T, and it has been a good machine. My main reason for it was becase of it running on power from an engine drive.
    The other is that it has a good arc on 7018, which allows me to throw it in my pickup to go weld at someone's place, rather than drive my truck.
    Also it gives me the ablity to run two sticks off my truck
    As far as TIG, I have run it on AL, and it has done good for me, but I am not too proficient at it.
    I purely hate that the power switch is at the BACK of the machine
    I can't believe that some moron in Europe thought that would be a good idea...How hard could it be to have the switch in the front? No wonder they have more vacation days than Americans
    Jeff
    Jeff

Comment

Dynasty 200 switch is on the back as well

Comment

I had the Lincoln for about a month. It was OK. It is not made but Lincoln, but made by an Italian company. Selco? I Used it a few times, on stick as well. It had a nice SMAW arc. It has some useless features like the sine wave output. Thats ancient technolgy. If I remember I think the 2 and 4 step was a sequencer function, but I could be wrong. The main reason I sold it was because I had some aluminum work that required a bigger machine. I bought a 300DX TIGrunner 3 years ago and never looked back. I think that its more user friendly, but that could be beacause The Lincoln was the first inverter I used that had all the bells and whistles. I also think the Dynasty welds nicer. I took quite a loss on the Lincoln, but I am glad I did it.

I just looked at the comparisons. The Dynasty offers adjustable start parameters. This will help with a high helium mix, or anodized aluminum. It also is nice to have a soft start on super thin stuff. It also has much better pulse control on AC. I often use a high pulse rate for agitating the puddle. It helps float impurities to the surface. Millers comparison says the Lincoln wont run 6010. I never tried I used 7018. The Dynasty runs 6010 really nice and the dig feature is also nice. It also says it doesnt have a sequencer. i have never used this feature on either welder so I can't comment. Although there are times I can see it would be nice.

Comment

i looked at the v205 when i was making my choice.

The miller outclassed it every where, i do not know where your duty cycle info comes from but as i remember they are pretty equal. Its interesting to note that miller also rates there machines for duty cycle at lower temperatures.

honestly the v205 was never even a contender, the thermal arc was though because it was so much cheaper
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 175
          Spectrum 375
          All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I think you should test drive both and make your own decision, but I dont like the thought of the Lincoln being made in italy.... Yesterday I went shopping for work boots and looked at a lot brands that are American companys, Chippawa, Wolverine, Danner, ect. To my surprise most said made in china. Needless to say i went to a Redwing store and bought American boots even though i paid more but i know i will be happy with the superior quality every day i wear them. I know the Lincoln isnt a china welder but i just prefer things made here.

Comment

Thanks for the replies thus far! I would appreciate more I am pretty new to all this and more will really help.

JoeBass, I looked up the Selco unit http://selcoweld.com/index.php?ct=1&...lang=en&pid=18 the specs seem to be dead on with the Lincoln, but did not see many features. I am now sorts feeling uncomfortable choosing the Lincoln becasue of this, but I do not see this as bad, obviously Lincoln feels the unit is good enough for them the rebadge as their own welder.

You mentioned you went up to the 300dx, I assume its because of the amperage requirements for Aluminum? I am sure it welded nice because of having more amps available and more suited for higher amps (less stress on the unit). I will mostly be welding thinner aluminum in the 1/16-1/8th range, but I may go as high as 3/8" (if I do it would be keep to a minimum) would that be feasible with either of the units?

Laiky, you mentioned the Dynasty outclassed it in everyway, how do you explain the amps? BTW I got those directly from the spec sheets of Miller and Lincoln. Miller states in the spec sheet 200amps is only available on three-phase, or can this unit still produce 200 amps on single-phase, but with a lower duty cycle? I am just worried that 150amps maybe the biggest limiting factor when welding the Aluminum. Also on stick for 230V single-phase the 200DX is rated at 130A @ 60% with the Lincoln putting out 150A @ 60% with a max of 180A @ 35%. What do you mean by this "Its interesting to note that miller also rates there machines for duty cycle at lower temperatures." Can you explain this into some detail for me?

ShieldArc, I know where you are coming from, I know a lot of people just like you. Personally I always purchase the best product whether manufactured here in the US or across borders. Thats for the thought of "test-driving" them, I will have to look into that.

What really sways me from the Miller is the Amperage ratings versus the Lincoln. If the Miller could put up 200A on TIG and atleast 150A on Stick 230V single-phase I would feel more comfortable choosing the Miller.......... To bad you cannot get them MTO

Comment

Another question, anyone know how long both of these units have been available and if in either Miller or Lincoln would be offering a newer unit in the near future? How often do these companies update models?

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
                  I think you should test drive both and make your own decision, but I dont like the thought of the Lincoln being made in italy.... Yesterday I went shopping for work boots and looked at a lot brands that are American companys, Chippawa, Wolverine, Danner, ect. To my surprise most said made in china. Needless to say i went to a Redwing store and bought American boots even though i paid more but i know i will be happy with the superior quality every day i wear them. I know the Lincoln isnt a china welder but i just prefer things made here.
                  I also try to buy things from our own country and Canada. I like Redwings, but if you really want happy feet try some White's boots
                  The fact that the lincoln is made in Italy sucks, and if I had known that before I ordered, it may hve changed my mind.
                  Jeff
                  Jeff

Comment

The Dynasty 200DX can provide it's maxium output on 230V Single Phase power. I run mine on a 30 amp circuit, no problems what-so-ever.

The 200DX is a very nice machine. I'm in the process of buying a used 300DX TIGRunner as well. That will be the machine I use for most of my TIG work. If the 200DX does not see much use, then I'll sell it. Originally I was going to part with it right now, Coolmate 3 and all.

I will say one thing from being somewhat new to TIG. If you're doing any work above 115amps on aluminum, the torch starts to get hot in a hurry. My Diamondback 17 would become uncomfortable to hold (with thick gloves) in about 4 minutes or so of welding aluminum. Sometimes a lot less.

I recently picked up a new Diamondback 20 25' torch, Coolmate 3 and connected it up to my 200DX. The difference in comfort is night and day. The torch barely gets warm. The torch is also a lot smaller and the cables are very flexible. Overall, unless I'm doing some sort of field work I will not be using an air cooled torch in my shop again. Just something to think about.

Personally, I'd look at the 200DX, TA 185TSW or the HTP Invertig 201. I don't see too many people picking the Lincoln and I've never seen one up close or used one. I'd say the 200DX is a very solid performer with excellent features. I have no regrets.
                    David W.
                    Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
                    Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

Comment

I posted this on your same thread at the Hobart site.

Originally posted by KB Fabrications
                      I have a Lincoln V160T and I really like it. It's a DC only machine but it has full featured pulse capability (actually percent on time is fixed at 65% but everything else is) and the arc is fantastic. I can't imagine that the 205 would be any different. Welding with both of them would be ideal and you should check with your local suppliers and see if that is possible. FWIW, I also have a 200DX. It is awesome and I would buy it again but I think you would be happy either way. I wouldn't let the fact that it is made in Italy sway you. I believe Lincoln owns that company so you can bet they oversee the process as well as sell the machines.
                      Dynasty 350DX
                      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                      MM 350P
                      MM Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 375 Extreme
                      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I thought the same thing about the amperage then i found out it does put out 200 amps on 240 single phase i bought one im happy with it . it will have paid for itself in about 2 more weeks. I bought it for mobile work . I can weld .25 aluminum no prob and cast engine blocks are no problem as well .
                        Miller aerowave full feature
                        Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
                        dynasty 200 dx
                        lincoln sp 135 plus
                        302 trailblazer
                        s22p12
                        powcon starcut
                        cp 400 metal spray

Comment

One thing to think about is the AC frequency. The AC amperage is lower above 85Hz. I like to boost my frquency especially running a Helium mix. This is where the programable start might come in handy also. There is no doubt in my mind that the Dynasty will weld thicker aluminum than the Lincoln. unixadm is right about a water cooled torch. I also forgot to mention earlier that I have moved into shop that has 3 phase, another Miller advantage. My advise again is to forget about the Lincoln and get the Dynasty.

Comment

The welding school I am taking TIG classes at is almost all Lincoln gear, they have one 205 set up on 110v air cooled. (Portland Community Collage, Portland OR. They have some kind of grant with Lincoln) Since I am learning the biggest thing I am finding in actually using the 205 vrs. the 200DX is the Miller control interface is easier to use and learn. The Lincoln is not as user friendly in setting it up, this makes a difference to me as a newbie. I have stopped all together using the 205 in the class in favor of the one Miller 350 Syncro they have.

I am extremely happy with getting a 200DX for my shop

Mark
                            Dynasty 200DX w/Coolmate 3
                            MM252
                            MM251
                            Hypertherm 600 Plasma
                            Ready Welder II (Trail repairs)
                            One really big hammer for the rest

Comment

Fairly new here. Inside the 200dx you will find numerous parts made in china. Also www.fronius.com (a german or italian company)makes one or a few of the Miller machines. There is a chinese company with a base in America called american Chowell, they provide several componets to Miller, in fact most every company has a supply stream coming from tiawan or hong kong. American Assembled is not american made. Both machines would be a good choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X