X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katiebo
    started a topic mig on aluminum

mig on aluminum

I have started to play with my new MM210 (signed up for two classes at my local community college but start in January). I have been practicing on steel and just had to try out the spoolgun on some aluminum. I was able to join the pieces of scrap that I had but the area around the weld was black and sooty. I did hit the material with a SS wirebrush prior to welding. Do I need to clean the material with acetone or something after wirebrushing?

• katiebo
    replied
    I was using a push angle when I got the soot. I need to verify that I don't have any gas leaks as a first step. When I tried the first time I followed the recommendations for gas flow rate on the inside of the door. I will tweak those settings and see what happens also.

Leave a comment:

• Stick rod
    replied
    Agreed use a push angle!

Leave a comment:

• mikewelds
    replied
    make sure you have a push angle

make sure you are using a slight push angle so the argon pushes away any oxygen before it melts the aluminum you will get a clean weld this way except you will still get the white around the toes but that is normal

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Not nessesary to preclean the aluminum, the black soot will go away when you turn down your gas which is too high, or you have a leak in your gas line or gun getting atmospheric air into the weld, which makes the black goo.

Leave a comment:

• katiebo
    replied
    Barry, thanks for the rapid reply. I was using pure Argon, but my cleaning lacked the aceton step.

Leave a comment:

• precisionworks
    replied
    First, make sure to switch the tank to Argon. Can't do Al with C25.

You want to acetone clean first, wire brush last, then weld immediately. Use a stainless steel wire brush & use that brush only on aluminum. I keep three sizes in a Zip-Loc bag for just that purpose.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X