mig on aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mig on aluminum

I have started to play with my new MM210 (signed up for two classes at my local community college but start in January). I have been practicing on steel and just had to try out the spoolgun on some aluminum. I was able to join the pieces of scrap that I had but the area around the weld was black and sooty. I did hit the material with a SS wirebrush prior to welding. Do I need to clean the material with acetone or something after wirebrushing?
    SolidWorks Premium
    SolidWorks Simulation Pro
    MM210 w/3035
    TA185TSW
    DG Piranha II
    Sharpie Deluxe
    Stars & Stripes BWE
    Blue Optrel Satellite

First, make sure to switch the tank to Argon. Can't do Al with C25.

You want to acetone clean first, wire brush last, then weld immediately. Use a stainless steel wire brush & use that brush only on aluminum. I keep three sizes in a Zip-Loc bag for just that purpose.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Barry, thanks for the rapid reply. I was using pure Argon, but my cleaning lacked the aceton step.
      SolidWorks Premium
      MM210 w/3035
      TA185TSW
      DG Piranha II
      Sharpie Deluxe
      Stars & Stripes BWE
      Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

Not nessesary to preclean the aluminum, the black soot will go away when you turn down your gas which is too high, or you have a leak in your gas line or gun getting atmospheric air into the weld, which makes the black goo.

Comment

make sure you have a push angle

make sure you are using a slight push angle so the argon pushes away any oxygen before it melts the aluminum you will get a clean weld this way except you will still get the white around the toes but that is normal

Comment

Agreed use a push angle!

Comment

I was using a push angle when I got the soot. I need to verify that I don't have any gas leaks as a first step. When I tried the first time I followed the recommendations for gas flow rate on the inside of the door. I will tweak those settings and see what happens also.
              SolidWorks Premium
              MM210 w/3035
              TA185TSW
              DG Piranha II
              Sharpie Deluxe
              Stars & Stripes BWE
              Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

Working...
              X