X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luna
    replied
    Originally posted by Engloid
    That's why I don't like them. It's like having a bench grinder running off a car battery...it has such low power that when you hit tungsten to it, it slows down. I'd rather have a big bench grinder where I don't have to go easy on it to keep from slowing it down.
    You don't really have to grind yout electrode do you. I have a hard time believing that you dip your tungstens

Leave a comment:

• Quadlinear
    replied
    JDSS Tungston Grinder (ShopfloorTalk)

JDSS

Sorry it took me a bit to look it up. Here it is....

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...hlight=tungsten

look down a bit and you'll see the shop brew fixture.

Alan

Leave a comment:

• jolane
    replied
    So after all the talk about the bench grinders in another post (sorry for getting off topic BTW), and how I hate my current like new Craftsman "Pro" 8" bench grinder, I looked into getting another grinder, and did Friday evening. I am posting this hoping to help others on this decision.
    I picked up a , cough, cough, Harbor Freight tool grinder. I know, I hate buying from them, and I hate buying Chinese junk, BUT... as I found, this is my second favorite tool I bought from them (the first is my bodywork stud welder). Seriously, this 110# machine is stout, and runs VERY smooth. It comes with Silicon Carbide wheels, which could easily be replaced with diamond if needed. I found that they did not wear appreciably using it this weekend on Tungsten (that is what I bought it for), especially not compared to the Alum Oxide on my other grinder. The bench is sturdy to rest against, and I think that making a jig to hold the tungsten at a fixed angle relative to the wheel should be easy. It really is smooth running, with minimal vibration, and works as well as the Baldor tool grinder we used to have at work. I was pleasantly suprised.
    Now, the best part, it only cost slightly more than my crappy grinder after the 20% off coupon. In the store it was $160. Online is $130, so they marked it down to the online price. Then, using the 20% off, it became $104. Heck of a deal IMHO.
    Maybe this would be a good alternative. Eventually, when I get a lathe, it will come in handy also.
    Joshua

Leave a comment:

• hotrodwillys
    replied
    Engloid
    You welded those things on your website freehand?
    You must be part robot.

Leave a comment:

• Engloid
    replied
    Originally posted by Luna
    Then stabilize it with one hand or clamp it to the table. Seriously though, the low torque motor
    That's why I don't like them. It's like having a bench grinder running off a car battery...it has such low power that when you hit tungsten to it, it slows down. I'd rather have a big bench grinder where I don't have to go easy on it to keep from slowing it down.

Leave a comment:

• jdss
    replied
    Quadlinear..Where is that shop floor talk post on the tungston grinding jig?

Leave a comment:

• Luna
    replied
    Originally posted by Sundown
    I'm not sure I would want to hold something between my legs that going 10-15 thousand rpm and then be pokeing a sharp metal stick at it

Then stabilize it with one hand or clamp it to the table. Seriously though, the low torque motor plus the speed of the small diameter disc make this a simple task. I don't think I can make the unit catch the electrode if I tried.

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Originally posted by hotrodwillys
    Well I called HTP today and theres is more expensive than Arc zone,, "Hey Carmen any chance of a little discount on the plug?" Hey Sundowner be careful there is a lady present
    That wasn't the way I meant it (whatever way you think I meant it?), I just didn't want anyone to stab themselves in the leg when they could buy a sharpie and get some M&M's. Ok, I ate all the one's that were sent to me, do I get some more now

Leave a comment:

• CarmenElectrode
    replied
    I wish I were authorized to offer a discount.... you guys seem really nice and you always (well, usually) have nice things to say about us... if it makes you feel better, with your Arc-Zone purchase you always get M&Ms and stickers... a nice Operations Manual, including Selecting and Grinding Tungsten...

Well I called HTP today and theres is more expensive than Arc zone,, "Hey Carmen any chance of a little discount on the plug?" Hey Sundowner be careful there is a lady present

Leave a comment:

• hotrodwillys
    replied

Leave a comment:

• jw36
    replied
    Originally posted by Sundown
    I'm not sure I would want to hold something between my legs that going 10-15 thousand rpm and then be pokeing a sharp metal stick it it
    Add that to Hanks tool list right under drill press!!!

Leave a comment:

• Sundown
    replied
    Originally posted by Luna
    I find that a dremel lithium and dremel diamond cutoff style wheel works great. The sharpie uses the same basic setup but just includes a fixture to hold the tungsten at a constant angle. I don't find that too difficult.

The reason I like the dremel lithium is that it has a flat base which makes it easy to stabilize with your legs so you can use both hands to sharpen. It is also one less electrical cord that you have to plug in
    I'm not sure I would want to hold something between my legs that going 10-15 thousand rpm and then be pokeing a sharp metal stick at it

Leave a comment:

• CarmenElectrode
    replied
    Grinding Angles

Thought I'd chime in here... we have a pretty good guide (free PDF download) in our website on Grinding Tungten. It includes some information about grind angles, and the differences:

http://www.arc-zone.com/catalog/web_....html&cart_id=

And glad you guys like the Sharpie! It's one of our most popular items...

sundown, just out of curiousity, whats the difference between the 2 angles?

Leave a comment:

• Luna
    replied
    I find that a dremel lithium and dremel diamond cutoff style wheel works great. The sharpie uses the same basic setup but just includes a fixture to hold the tungsten at a constant angle. I don't find that too difficult.

The reason I like the dremel lithium is that it has a flat base which makes it easy to stabilize with your legs so you can use both hands to sharpen. It is also one less electrical cord that you have to plug in

Leave a comment:

• Quadlinear
    replied
    There is a posting on the Shop Floor Talk board that shows a homebuilt fixture that when used with a small dedicated wheel grinder using a diamond or green wheel worked acceptably.

I am probably going to swing and buy the small HTP portable. Seems ther simplest and most cost effective for my needs.

Alan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X