Sharpie tungsten grinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sundown
    I'm not sure I would want to hold something between my legs that going 10-15 thousand rpm and then be pokeing a sharp metal stick at it

Then stabilize it with one hand or clamp it to the table. Seriously though, the low torque motor plus the speed of the small diameter disc make this a simple task. I don't think I can make the unit catch the electrode if I tried.

Comment

Quadlinear..Where is that shop floor talk post on the tungston grinding jig?
      Just your average Joe who likes to build stuff!!

Millermatic 200
      Maxstar 150

Comment

Originally posted by Luna
        Then stabilize it with one hand or clamp it to the table. Seriously though, the low torque motor
        That's why I don't like them. It's like having a bench grinder running off a car battery...it has such low power that when you hit tungsten to it, it slows down. I'd rather have a big bench grinder where I don't have to go easy on it to keep from slowing it down.

Comment

Engloid
          You welded those things on your website freehand?
          You must be part robot.
          Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Matic 35
          Piranha II

Comment

So after all the talk about the bench grinders in another post (sorry for getting off topic BTW), and how I hate my current like new Craftsman "Pro" 8" bench grinder, I looked into getting another grinder, and did Friday evening. I am posting this hoping to help others on this decision.
            I picked up a , cough, cough, Harbor Freight tool grinder. I know, I hate buying from them, and I hate buying Chinese junk, BUT... as I found, this is my second favorite tool I bought from them (the first is my bodywork stud welder). Seriously, this 110# machine is stout, and runs VERY smooth. It comes with Silicon Carbide wheels, which could easily be replaced with diamond if needed. I found that they did not wear appreciably using it this weekend on Tungsten (that is what I bought it for), especially not compared to the Alum Oxide on my other grinder. The bench is sturdy to rest against, and I think that making a jig to hold the tungsten at a fixed angle relative to the wheel should be easy. It really is smooth running, with minimal vibration, and works as well as the Baldor tool grinder we used to have at work. I was pleasantly suprised.
            Now, the best part, it only cost slightly more than my crappy grinder after the 20% off coupon. In the store it was $160. Online is $130, so they marked it down to the online price. Then, using the 20% off, it became $104. Heck of a deal IMHO.
            Maybe this would be a good alternative. Eventually, when I get a lathe, it will come in handy also.
            Joshua

Comment

JDSS Tungston Grinder (ShopfloorTalk)

JDSS

Sorry it took me a bit to look it up. Here it is....

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums...hlight=tungsten

look down a bit and you'll see the shop brew fixture.

Alan
              Quadlinear AKA Alan
              Cincinnati, OH

Miller Bobcat NT
              Miller Mig 135
              Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
              Thermo Dynamics 600 Plasma
              Harris Torches
              Speedglass Helmet
              2 shops full of stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Engloid
                That's why I don't like them. It's like having a bench grinder running off a car battery...it has such low power that when you hit tungsten to it, it slows down. I'd rather have a big bench grinder where I don't have to go easy on it to keep from slowing it down.
                You don't really have to grind yout electrode do you. I have a hard time believing that you dip your tungstens

Comment

Working...
                X