Sharpie tungsten grinder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpie tungsten grinder

Hi I am interested in buying tungsten grinder and ran across the sharpie which I would probably buy there hand held middle of the road model, my question is Is there anything out there comporble for less money? and has anyone used these and what do you think of them? thanks dave
    Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Matic 35
    Piranha II

I am not aware of a decent grinder in the $300 price range except the Sharpie. Mark, Dave, Andy and some other Miller TIG guys use them at road shows. They are pretty handy and do a good job for the money. The next step up is a Piranha II at $700 and a Piranha II at $1300. The specialty grinders keep on climbing in price into the $3K range.

Comment

Lots of folk here with the Sharpie and as HAWK said, there really isn't anything else in that range. Those folks will chime in and give you a good assessment of the unit. I have a Piranha III from http://www.diamondground.com/ and love it but I also am one of two guys welding here and can tell you it has paid for itself in the last couple of years.
      Dynasty 350DX
      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
      MM 350P
      MM Passport Plus
      Spectrum 375 Extreme
      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

I have had my sharpie for a few months now and while you can get a nice point using a grinder the sharpie is nice and fast, and will give you a correct taper every time without much effort. I have the adjustable one because I like to use 20º sometimes and 30º othertimes. The quality is very good and I can recommend it if you don't want to use a grinder.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Thanks Hawk and KB, the sharpie sounds like the one to go with as I am just starting out tig welding and couldn't justify spending more than that for a sharpener. I have a friend of mine that is a machinist and could take a drill bit and go over to the bench grinder and without even looking at what he is doing could sharpen a drill bit like it was brand new I have enough trouble with my drill doctor so I figured anything that could make the tig learning process a little easier would be a plus, as always thanks for the help, Dave
          Dynasty 300DX
          Miller Matic 35
          Piranha II

Comment

sundown, just out of curiousity, whats the difference between the 2 angles?
            Dynasty 300DX
            Miller Matic 35
            Piranha II

Comment

Originally posted by hotrodwillys
              30º seems to work better using lanthanated on AC while doing aluminum as the point holds up better, and it is recommended as the taper to use on AC by Thermal Arc for the TA185TSW. I like 20º for steel and SS when using my Maxstar 150 STH, and it works nice for that on the TA also.
              Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
              Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
              Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
              Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

There is a posting on the Shop Floor Talk board that shows a homebuilt fixture that when used with a small dedicated wheel grinder using a diamond or green wheel worked acceptably.

I am probably going to swing and buy the small HTP portable. Seems ther simplest and most cost effective for my needs.

Alan
                Quadlinear AKA Alan
                Cincinnati, OH

Miller Bobcat NT
                Miller Mig 135
                Miller Syncrowave 180 SD
                Thermo Dynamics 600 Plasma
                Harris Torches
                Speedglass Helmet
                2 shops full of stuff

Comment

I find that a dremel lithium and dremel diamond cutoff style wheel works great. The sharpie uses the same basic setup but just includes a fixture to hold the tungsten at a constant angle. I don't find that too difficult.

The reason I like the dremel lithium is that it has a flat base which makes it easy to stabilize with your legs so you can use both hands to sharpen. It is also one less electrical cord that you have to plug in

Comment

Grinding Angles

Thought I'd chime in here... we have a pretty good guide (free PDF download) in our website on Grinding Tungten. It includes some information about grind angles, and the differences:

http://www.arc-zone.com/catalog/web_....html&cart_id=

And glad you guys like the Sharpie! It's one of our most popular items...

Originally posted by hotrodwillys
                    Carmen Electrode (Arc-Zone.com)
                    CarmenElectrode.com