Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• burninbriar
    replied
    When you sharpen youre tungsten, make sure you grind it back far enough to remove all contamination .

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    I turned the cfh down to about 13-15 and it helped.

Still can't lay a bead down on two pipes butted together. The pipe just burns and no puddle forms. And when it does form, it looks like 1 single bead. Could 18 or 16 gauge be to small ?

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Outside meading outside my house into my garage. Sorry.

Going to turn the cfh down from 18 to 13-15 to see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• RadMan
    replied
    Quote:

Just went outside to weld some

I thought you just went 'outside' to weld some

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Kerosene heater but I always have that on when welding and never had this issue, I turned it off just to make sure and the problem did NOT go away.

Leave a comment:

• RadMan
    replied
    any wind? it doesn't take much......

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Just went outside to weld some, and I could not get a spark going. Tried about 8 times and only got a steady spark two times. The arc would start, then go all crazy and stop. Any ideas on why, yes gas was on.

I took the torch apart yesterday to clean the insides, cause I infact forgot to turn on the gas once, but I put it back together correctly. And I tried difference tungstens and still the arc would not start.

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Originally posted by OldSparks
    Did I miss where you said what size pipe you want to practice tigging on? Are you trying thinwall tubing or something like 3" sch. 40?
    Trying exhaust pipe, 16 or 18 gauge

Leave a comment:

• OldSparks
    replied
    90blackcrx

Did I miss where you said what size pipe you want to practice tigging on? Are you trying thinwall tubing or something like 3" sch. 40?

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    Tig

Any recommendations on a good book ?

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    CRX:
    Which process for pipe welding, stick or tig? Which welding position? I am currently working on 6g with a 6011 root and 7018 fill and cover passes. I really prefer tig but around here most of the work requires that as the basis for employment then they want to teach you their way for the tig.

For stick start with rolling the pipe and welding uphill, lifting the electrode out of the puddle straight up and down to fill and open the keyhole for the penetration and fill to be good. This is just a start point, you really need a text book for the pictures and technique.

hope this helps,

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...697514&ccitem=

Leave a comment:

• 90blackcrx
    replied
    I use these from walmart, about 5 bucks a box
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...ardown-002.jpg

So when welding pipe, should I weld looking at the gap from the front or the side, which is easier ?

Leave a comment:

• RadMan
    replied
    It's less about the cleanup factor and more about not bleeding as much when I wear them.
    I wish I could find latex without the powder.

Leave a comment:

• Fishy Jim
    replied
    That's right, because I can get those in 24's.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X