My new toy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blown S-10
    do yourself a FAVOR find someone to show you how to work that machine. if you don't your going to be pulling your own chain.
    I thought you were coming down ? I sent you about 2 to 4 emails and you never got back to me. I sent one I think 3 days ago cause I thought me and you were going to pick up the welder, but you never got back to me.

Email me at 90blackcrx@gmail.com

Why would I be pulling my own chain though ? I gotta learn some where, sure it would help if someone came over though.

Off to go buy another grinder.
    http://www.rcautoworks.com

Comment

Craftsman Grinder

My Craftsman grinder has the same problem. It is just a POS. I think that they have cut the quality to the bones. My Black an Decker run very true. No run out. No vibration. Also th elight bulb does not burn out in 10 minutes like the POS Craftsman.
      I will not buy another Craftsman again>>>>>>>

Comment

Just wondering 90blackcrx how old are you?

Blown S-10 I wouldn't mind meeting up with you...what are you doing Dec 18-22nd? I will be in Chicago for work, but I will have the evenings free to meet up with some of my buds in the Chicago area. I wouldn't mind meeting up with ya, see some of the work you have done...maybe give me a pointer or two TIG welding.
        Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo
          Just wondering 90blackcrx how old are you?
          21, 22 next month.

Are the tungstens only suppose to go in the torch one way ? I swear mind would only go in one way, and I also had a tough time getting it out. Almost like the collet ( I think thats the name ) was getting stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by 90blackcrx
            21, 22 next month.

Are the tungstens only suppose to go in the torch one way ? I swear mind would only go in one way, and I also had a tough time getting it out. Almost like the collet ( I think thats the name ) was getting stuck.
            Congratulations on your new 200!!!

But as someone else suggested...You really should get some on-site instruction from somebody that knows TIG.
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
            1971 Roughneck 1e
            Stars-n-Stripes BWE
            Optrel Satellite OSE
            ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
            Lincoln 200SA Diesel
            O/A Set
            Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
            1.5 kVA Spot Welder
            Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
            My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

21, 22 next month.

I'm 23 (just turned on 29-nov) and I have never TIG welded in my entire life until I got my TA185, it's been 2 months for me so far. Seriously just sit down for a week and play around with your machine, 30 seconds of looking at something will help you figure out the answer instead of waiting over 30minutes on the net. Take your torch apart and see how it works, then figure out why it's binding. Simple.

Do some research on the net, there is TONS of info. The last thing someone needs to do is spoon feed you the answers to every single minute question. I don't mean it as an insult, as I am a newb just like you. But just take some time to do some research and learn things on your own, when you really stuck then ask.
              Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
                Congratulations on your new 200!!!

But as someone else suggested...You really should get some on-site instruction from somebody that knows TIG.
                I'm trying I'm trying, I emailed s10 but he never got back to me.

Here are some pictures, remember this is the first time I ever tigged. Yeah I will cut back on the questions now, I just need to practice

And I did not prep the metal that good cause it was cold and late, just wanted to get some practice in

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...x/welds012.jpg
                http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...x/welds010.jpg
                http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...x/welds013.jpg
                http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...x/welds014.jpg

Picture of the machine
                http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...x/welds015.jpg

On a good note, I really never touched the tungsten to the metal.

Comment

Ever done any torch welding?

I found it to be similar enough to O/A, where it came easy getting tig to work right.
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                  Smith O/A rig
                  And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim
                    Ever done any torch welding?

I found it to be similar enough to O/A, where it came easy getting tig to work right.
                    I have, actually in the past I took a 1 year class of it. The only thing I did not like about gas welding was in order to cool the puddle down, you would have to lift up with your hand. I found out telling one hand to go down and one to go up while trying to be precise it not easy. I like the foot pedal with the tig.

Comment

Thanks for the pics.

The brown soot indicated you lost shielding or forgot to turn on the gas a couple times. Keep the tungsten close to the workpiece and practice.....

Not bad for first time though. Keep it up.

BTW what is the range on the pulser. Does it go up in steps or is it variable.

Tom

Comment

21, 22 next month.

If you are trying to pull the tungsten from the front it may be the paint on the end and the expansion from getting hot thats causing it to get stuck. The specs say the the color on the end is not suposed to increase the size of the tungsten, that IMO thats wishful thinking in most cases.
                        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I agree with George. I have had the same problem with the painted band on the tungsten. My tungsten gets stuck in the torch also from this. Once I pull it out a few times though with some force, it works fine. Maybe try deburring the other end though also (near the paint) Maybe the end has a slight burr.

As for the craftsman grinders, I have an 8" "Professional" model that absolutely sucks also. It vibrates like made, kills light bulbs regularly (even the rugged heavy filament equipment ones), and has a lot of shaft runout. I will never buy another Craftsman bench grinder. I hate their power tools anyways, and don't know why I bought this overpriced one. On another note, we just got a 6" Jet bench grinder at work yesterday and it is super smooth, spins up fast, and in general is VERY well made, including the cast iron disk covers and tool support tables. I will probably buy one just like it.

Good luck with your new TIG. That is a great looking machine.
                          Joshua

Comment

Not to change the subject of the post, but I've lost all faith in Craftsman tools a long time ago. By the time you add up all the wasted time and expence of returning the broken stuff you could have bought several good quality sets.
                            To all who contribute to this board.
                            My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
                            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                            Miller Syncrowave 250
                            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I still like Craftsman handtools (well, about half anyways, I am not that impressed with their new screwdrivers. I also don't like their ratchet wrenches (gear wrench all the way here). Their laser etched sockets don't do it for me either, I like the stamped markings myself). Actually, the more I think about it, I don't really care for a whole lot of their new tools anymore. I have a bunch of their older tools though, and like them for my garage. Anymore though, I look towards Snap-On, Mac, etc for new tools.
                              Their hand power tools on the other hand suck IMO. I figured that it would be hard to screw up a bench grinder, but I guess they have. All I want are quality tools at reasonable prices. I would really like them to be MADE IN THE USA, but good luck with that.
                              Thanks Miller for quality tools MADE IN THE USA with great customer and product support!
                              Joshua

Comment

Bob,

it looks like you have the *general idea* of it now you just need to fine tune it....in tig welding the material must be CLEAN....I hold the torch at about a 80* angle and the filler at about a 15* angle....get the puddle going and dip dip dip......run about a 15cfm

keep posting pics...

Comment

Working...
                                X