TIG Weld Speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG Weld Speed

I've yet to try TIG so it was with some interest that I watched Jessi Combs on Extreme 4x4 demonstrating the difference between TIG and MIG. What caught my attention was how fast she welded two roll-cage pipes together with TIG. It was very nearly the same speed as she did the same with the MIG. I was under the impression that TIG was much slower than MIG. Did anyone else see this segment and can comment?

Rob

Not to discredit the show or Jessi, but I don't believe her demonstration of mig welding was the proper way of joining tubes on a roll cage. The tig welding footage was edited; they showed probably 1/10th of what it would take to weld the two tubes together

Comment

TIG is fast ....... on aluminum
      Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
      HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
      Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Originally posted by precisionworks
        TIG is fast ....... on aluminum
        Not quite as fast as welding Al. with pulsed spray mig.
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

She was stitch welding with the MIG which is slow and not good for a rollcage.

Comment

Stich welding on a rollcage I'm no race car builder, but one thing I do know is that is a good way to get someone killed. Stitch bad, very bad, so bad it is given the designation of "uber bad."
            hre

Comment

Isn't stitch for doing thin sheet so you don't get it too hot? Pull the trigger and lay the bead till it stops, move over and let it start again?

Why on earth would you do that on tube?
              Syncrowave 250DX
              Invison 354MP
              XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
              Smith O/A rig
              And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim
                Isn't stitch for doing thin sheet so you don't get it too hot?
                Yup, at least in my opinion, that is all it is really acceptable and well-suited for.
                hre

Comment

We don't get DIY with our mid level cable package. There's some shows on there I'd like to see. Gotta be better than the hacks on spike saturday mornings.
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                  Smith O/A rig
                  And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim
                    Isn't stitch for doing thin sheet so you don't get it too hot? Pull the trigger and lay the bead till it stops, move over and let it start again?

Why on earth would you do that on tube?
                    Because she's dumb. That was the first time I ever saw that show and my mouth just dropped... They made it sound like designing and building a roll cage is easy, and something anyone could do. Even though during the episode they explain what a MIG and TIG welder is. If someone doesn't know what either one is, how are they going to be capable of building a roll cage, yeesh! I know I sure as **** wouldn't want to be in that vehicle when it rolls over...

Edit: I don't mean to say I am any expert either...but when they're teaching someone something, they should at least know their stuff, especially when newbs (like me) can see things that they are doing wrong. BTW I recall hearing 4-5 inches/min for a TIG weld rate...not sure how true that is...and I am sure it varies on thickness, type of material and welding amperage. That's just what I have heard and what has stuck in my mind.
                    Thermal Arc 185TSW, Lincoln SP135+, 4-post automotive hoist, 2x media blast cabinets, 50 ton press, 80gal air compressor, 4-1/2"x6" bandsaw, 4'x4' Torchmate CNC table with plate marker, Hypertherm Powermax 65 plasma cutter, ultrasonic cleaning stations

Comment

TIG is slower on stuff like cages, not only because of the actual welding process but because of all the extra positioning of torch, filler, and (foot pedal for some). It's slower for me anyway because I like to get in a good comfortable position too. When I MIG I'm not near as picky. As long as I can see what I'm doing, I'm good.
                      Zeb's Welding and Machine

Comment

To say that tig is slower is simply too broad of a statement to be true or false. A HUGE factor in speed is the welder's skill and abilities, not to mention the capabilities of the machine, type of metal, thickness, joint design and more...

The weld below was on a piece of 13" pipe. The fillet weld was called out to be 3/16", and I made it slightly over that in one pass. It took about 3 minutes to weld the entire thing.

Pic LINK
                        Mig would have taken the same amount of time, but left some cleanup of spatter, rough stop or start, etc. Tig should eleminate cleanup, which is one of the advantages it has over mig.

That show is like all other shows on tv that do welding... they're fabricators at best, not welders. They'd get fired from most of the jobs I've had, and that's if they could even pass the test to get hired in.

Comment

Wow. Nice weld. Is that done freehand?

Originally posted by Engloid
                          To say that tig is slower is simply too broad of a statement to be true or false. A HUGE factor in speed is the welder's skill and abilities, not to mention the capabilities of the machine, type of metal, thickness, joint design and more...

The weld below was on a piece of 13" pipe. The fillet weld was called out to be 3/16", and I made it slightly over that in one pass. It took about 3 minutes to weld the entire thing.

Pic LINK
                          Mig would have taken the same amount of time, but left some cleanup of spatter, rough stop or start, etc. Tig should eleminate cleanup, which is one of the advantages it has over mig.

That show is like all other shows on tv that do welding... they're fabricators at best, not welders. They'd get fired from most of the jobs I've had, and that's if they could even pass the test to get hired in.

Comment

Engloid does some awesome work. I think he has a bionic arm or something.
                            Zeb's Welding and Machine

Comment

Originally posted by millermania
                              Wow. Nice weld. Is that done freehand?
                              Yes. Freehand, but in a turntable.

Comment

Working...
                              X