Maxstar 150 STL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maxstar 150 STL

I have a piping project to do this week. It requires about 400 ft of lead to reach all of the welds from my rig. I've used the little maxstar unit for structural work, but not piping. The pipe is a natural gas fuel line from the meter, up the side of a mall type building, and down into a restaurant. Thinking about buying one tomorrow if it will weld 4 inch pipe to specs.

What schedule pipe? Are you going to use GTAW or SMAW?

Comment

stick 6010, guessing that the pipe will be .188 wall, which I'll need around 120 or so amps to burn it.

Comment

The positive end is that I've been looking at this machine lately, and I have a job that will pay for it.

Comment

I just snagged 2 of those units from a buddy of mine. He said I could use them this week when he got back in town. He recommended the unit for my job.

Comment

You may want to try it out first...some have had trouble running 6010's on some of the units.
            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
            '06 12RC feeder
            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
            Esab Multimaster 260
            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
              You may want to try it out first...some have had trouble running 6010's on some of the units.
              If you remember my thread on another board about the highrise in Alabama, I was burning 6010 with that machine. I noticed the difference in characteristics from my pipepro, but I got the job done.

Comment

Yup, I remember the thread, but for some reason, I was thinking you were running 7018. My mistake. I wouldn't mind having one of those small inverters for just such a job. I might be more inclined to get the Maxstar 200 STR or CST 280.....if I were a rich man.
                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                '06 12RC feeder
                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                Esab Multimaster 260
                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52
                  Yup, I remember the thread, but for some reason, I was thinking you were running 7018. My mistake. I wouldn't mind having one of those small inverters for just such a job. I might be more inclined to get the Maxstar 200 STR or CST 280.....if I were a rich man.
                  With the fit-up on some of those tubes to plates, it is easier to fill with 6010, and then cap it with a 7018

Comment

If you got the extra money I would go for the cst280 have sold a few of those machines to mechanical contractors and they love it or the max star 200

Comment

I been playing with the maxstr 150 for a couple monthes now and it's super portable. I love it for that; it is alittle light on the power scale, but for me gets the job done. I haven't try'd it smaw, gtaw is what I've been using, but its good to know if one the shop help stabs the scrap hopper with the forklift I can patch it up. Didn't have the extra $$$ for a bigger machine, but hey, new toys are new toys I have noticed a little diff in performance depending on voltage. 240 is the way to go, just unplug the dryer and WAP! I can play with little tubing drops, practing joint fit-up in my garage on the weekends

Comment

I have a 150STL. My unit runs a good 6010. The only thing is I have to keep a very tight arc gap with the 6010. They work fine and are X-rayed welds. I think the unit is a little short on dig for these rods, but will do the job with an experienced operator.

Comment

On 120v how does this machine weld 3/32 6010? Is there plenty power?

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc
                            On 120v how does this machine weld 3/32 6010? Is there plenty power?
                            I am not a very good at SMAW, but both my old STL and my new STH will run 3/32" 6010 with no problem on either 120V or 230V, but I prefer to run 6011 anyway.
                            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Like Sundown said they run fine. Please be clear that the DIG on these machine requires a very tight and consistent arc gap to run a nice 6010. The p series equivalents to the 6010s run better for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X