No announcement yet.

horizonal bandsaw???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"What do you think of the chop saws out there, not the abrasive but the one with the carbide blades, like evolution"

I had the DeWalt Multicutter for about three years. Blades are well over $100 each (I had four when the saw was sold) with short blade life if used on any material thicker than gauge.

Dead square cuts. If you only cut thinwall tubing (rounds, squares, rectangles) it may be perfect for you. A great little jobsite saw, light weight & portable. Otherwise the cost per cut is the highest of any saw I'm aware of.
    Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
    HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
    Clarke Hotshot

Comment

BigDTig,

Sorry you are having trouble. My 1100 has guide roller adjustment screws. I have cut with Andy's Ellis 1600 and it produces square cuts. He set it up and can probably tell you any tricks to get it going. Email is: [email protected]

Comment

I had requested some info on the Ellis saws, & today a guy named Pep called me & offered a good deal on the 1600 or the 1800 series.
        I asked about this problem, & he wants to hear from you!
        He is very proud of the quality of his saws & says this will be fixed.
        Call him at 1-800-383-5547 ask for Pep.
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
        1971 Roughneck 1e
        Stars-n-Stripes BWE
        Optrel Satellite OSE
        ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
        Lincoln 200SA Diesel
        O/A Set
        Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
        1.5 kVA Spot Welder
        Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
        My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Ellis Called

Ellis called today.

It will be next week before I can call them back and go through the alignment issue, but I did get the names of a couple of production managers and was told to call those guys.

So, I'll do that next Monday and let everyone know how the support call goes.
          BigDTig, Dallas, Texas
          Miller Dynasty 200DX
          Coolmate III Cooler
          Miller Spectrum 125C
          Ellis 1600 Band Saw
          Ellis 9400 Drill Press

Comment

Ellis saws are Spot-On

I just spoke with Gary at Eillis saws regarding my saw and the out-of-square issue.

In less than 10 minutes, Gary diagnosed the problem over the phone and with an additional 10 minutes of work and two check cuts, I can report my Model 1600 saw is spot-on square in every direction.

The head of the saw has a rather clever design that's easy to calibrate and in just quickly evaluating the design I have confidence in how it works. It's one of those designs that's so simple, and yet so elegant and effective you wish you had come up with it yourself. I mentioned this to Gary on the phone and his comment was "yea, it's been that way for 20 years."

So, to report back to the board:

1. My saw cuts dead-on square. Not even a 32nd of drift over a 12" range on a 2" square tube cut.

2. Ellis support is excellent.

3. I learned something about my saw today that makes me like it even more. The 1600 is a very good buy.
            BigDTig, Dallas, Texas
            Miller Dynasty 200DX
            Coolmate III Cooler
            Miller Spectrum 125C
            Ellis 1600 Band Saw
            Ellis 9400 Drill Press

Comment

Really glad to see they took care of you!
              I love it when things work RIGHT!!!
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
              1971 Roughneck 1e
              Stars-n-Stripes BWE
              Optrel Satellite OSE
              ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
              Lincoln 200SA Diesel
              O/A Set
              Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
              1.5 kVA Spot Welder
              Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
              My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

GREAT to hear. I was impatiently waiting for the verdict. It's funny - I just picked up my 1600 today at the FedEx terminal and uncrated it. Looks great and I will be making little pieces outta big pieces tomorrow

Comment

Great to know. I would hate to think I recommended a product that fell down on the job. Glad you are up and running!

Comment

Glad they got the issue worked out. Now I have to choose between a Kama and an Ellis. The Kama looks really nice - it's all about precision. I'll probably end up with the Ellis though. I contacted them and they didn't hook me up with any type of good deal. They just told me to go to my local Air Gas and tell them to give me a good deal. haha. They won't even cut me a break on a fill, let alone a saw.
                    David W.
                    Machines: Millermatic Passport; Millermatic 350P, Dynasty 300DX TIGRunner, TD Cutmaster 51 Plasma, Hypertherm 190C Plasma,
                    Machinery and Project Pictures: Click Here

Comment

Really?

Originally posted by unixadm
                      They just told me to go to my local Air Gas and tell them to give me a good deal. haha. They won't even cut me a break on a fill, let alone a saw.
                      Try a different AirGas. Mine here was a full $500 less than anyone, including Ellis direct. And, they dropped it off at my house on a Saturday.

I discovered welding supply stores are all about relationship.
                      BigDTig, Dallas, Texas
                      Miller Dynasty 200DX
                      Coolmate III Cooler
                      Miller Spectrum 125C
                      Ellis 1600 Band Saw
                      Ellis 9400 Drill Press

Comment

My Airgas said that they couldnt even get an Ellis. The manager tried to sell me a Jet for 1000.00 more. Oh well I only buy my gas there. My main dealer gave me a great quote.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/Johnson-Model-B-...QQcmdZViewItem

just did some searching and found this. about two mins looking on ebay, just imagine if I spent more time. These are great saws and repairs are easy and parts are readily available(not that these johnsons break, they last forever)
                          Trailblazer 302g
                          coolmate4
                          hf-251d-1
                          super s-32p
                          you can never know enough

Comment

I have seen that before. Its 20 minutes from me. Thats a real good buy. It6s been for sale for a few months. I already have a saw that small though or I would have bought it. I need something in the 10-11 inch range.

Comment

Unless something big is cracked or broken on that saw, it is easily worth $1000 or more.

http://www.dakecorp.com/catalog/index.php/dw/oc/c/11

The current model of that saw sells for $5000. They are one of the standards of industrial bandsaws. Dake has replacement parts for just about any saw made from 1930 and after, and they're nice to deal with.

If I lived close enough, I'd JUMP ON THAT SAW FOR $300!!!

Hard to beat a Johnson, Kysor-Johnson, Dake-Johnson, as they are all the same (Their "new" saws, the SE712 & SE912 are imports, a concession to price. Not even in the same league as the Model B or JH-10)
                              Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                              HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                              Clarke Hotshot

Comment

How big will those model B's cut?

I might have to consider snatching that.
                                Syncrowave 250DX
                                Invison 354MP
                                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                                Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                                Smith O/A rig
                                And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Working...
                                X