Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manny
    replied
    I have a Passport bought for two reasons: 1) low amperage draw, and easily easily welds nearly all of what I need on 110, I didn't have to upgrade my electrical service to run it. 2) The small size, light weight and portability, I have a VW not a truck, and I can easily toss it in to take where needed, also takes up very little room in my single car garage, a very important issue.
    You might also note that Miller rates it's arc quality above that of the DVI and the MM210 in their latest catalog.
    Manny

Leave a comment:

• Sberry
    replied
    I dont have a DVI but can only say what it looks like from a potential buyers point of view. I am sure it welds well, that isnt even an issue, for me it would be do I want to pay for the ability to plug this monster into a poor welding circuit. I would rather have a 210 for the extra power and duty. The Passport is very interesting though as it is so portable. As far is going to a cabin I would add a 230V outlet if thats what it took.

Leave a comment:

• tanman
    replied
    Does anyone like the Millermatic DVI?

I was wonderi ng if anyone could give me feedback on the DVI It seems like the passport is a great machine, but what about the DVI? Is it just kindof middle of the road?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• unixadm
    replied
    The Passport is an incredible machine. I'm really really and I mean really happy with mine. I picked up a DIP Tube CO2 tank, professional dump/fill station, scale and two extra bottles. I'm never left hanging needing CO2. I'll probably pick up another 20# bottle of CO2 to run via the rear port when extended welding would be necessary. But this is my portable machine, and if I had to do it over again... I'd buy one, no question about it. The DVI is a more flexible solution, offering spool gun support, better duty cycle at the top end and like Kevin mentioned, a better drive system. The Passport will do better on 110V though and that's all I use mine on presently. I don't think you can really go wrong. Miller has some nice machines out right now. I just wish I had bought the 350P instead of the 251.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    Ditto on the passport. I have one and it is a fantastic machine. It will not, however, support a spoolgun like the DVI. The DVI also has a slightly better duty cycle than the Passport as well as a better drive system.

If I were going to do it again I would still get the Passport, no question.

Leave a comment:

• MACH4
    replied
    Originally posted by tanman
    Hello, I've been saving my money for some time now and I want to buy the best welder for money- I want to buy right once- anyway- I am an artist and have remained pretty loyal to oxy actelene for many years, olny using a mig when I was at school. Much of my welding will be thin however I will need to weld thicker to make internal armatures etc. I was looking at the DVI because it could weld 3/8in and also had the portability to go up to my cabin. The price was nice too. However the passport interests me- can I hook up a big bottle to it, or will I always be limited to the small built in bottle? I can imagine myself moving around a lot with the welder so portability is an issue however the weight of the DVI doens't scare me too much- anyway- I was wondering if anyone could help me decide what to buy? I sure appreciate it!

Tanman
    Tanman,
    I own a passport unit and YES you can hook this unit up to a "shop" size bottle. This unit has a port on the rear for attaching a line to a larger external tank. My passport has performed flawlessly in both the shop and in the field. FYI I picked mine up on a Fri. and used it in the field on a Sun. I would suggest that you purchase an extra internal bottle as you might need more gas than you have on away from the shop welding job.
    I hope you get the passport and it works for you as well as mine does!
    Mike
    MACH4

Leave a comment:

• tanman
    started a topic Passport (big bottle hookup?) vs DVI

Passport (big bottle hookup?) vs DVI

Hello, I've been saving my money for some time now and I want to buy the best welder for money- I want to buy right once- anyway- I am an artist and have remained pretty loyal to oxy actelene for many years, olny using a mig when I was at school. Much of my welding will be thin however I will need to weld thicker to make internal armatures etc. I was looking at the DVI because it could weld 3/8in and also had the portability to go up to my cabin. The price was nice too. However the passport interests me- can I hook up a big bottle to it, or will I always be limited to the small built in bottle? I can imagine myself moving around a lot with the welder so portability is an issue however the weight of the DVI doens't scare me too much- anyway- I was wondering if anyone could help me decide what to buy? I sure appreciate it!

Tanman
Working...
X