No announcement yet.

Homemade Tig cooler question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you don't mind Jim, the photos are alittle dark. I made them alittle lighter. That fan set-up looks nice...
    Attached Files

Comment

No prob at all.

I'll be buying a drill press or a bandsaw before I get a better still camera.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
      Smith O/A rig
      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Jim,

Looks like that setup should handle anything the #20 torch can handle.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim
          Have you seen the crud electrolysis makes out of "clean" water? Rust and other oxidation is rampant in automotive cooling systems. That's why they use such high ratios of antifreeze - so you can get all those free oxygen molecules tied up with other elements so they don't eat away the metal.

Rust is a big problem in sealed systems. A filter (clear is actually good being upstream of the pump) will tell you the state of the systems health. I'm also conjuring up a way to make a flow indicator. I want to know how my torch is doing.

I think you fella's are making a mountain out of a mole hill, it seems to me that periodic changing of the 'electrolyte' is all that is needed.

Cooling system problems almost always has to do with neglect, that has been my experience.

Start with distilled water and a glycol based coolant , change it out from time to time and you are good to go

Comment

Originally posted by RadMan
            I think you fella's are making a mountain out of a mole hill, it seems to me that periodic changing of the 'electrolyte' is all that is needed.

Cooling system problems almost always has to do with neglect, that has been my experience.

Start with distilled water and a glycol based coolant , change it out from time to time and you are good to go
            I have to agree, I was thinking that during the winter I might put some RV antifreeze in with the water, its glycol based and cheap.....for the spring-summer-fall water will do for around here. I got the paint done, but have some sags on the wrapper due to the cold...guess I wll sand them out tomorrow and see if I can get an finish coat on.
            Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
            Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
            Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
            Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

This thread really has me thinking..........

I'm gunna start with this, cost so far... $0.....gotta find another dead power supply............

Comment

Could work. I'd use a bigger fan over the little ones though. I got those 6"s for $12.50 a piece brand new (old stock - pulled them out of the styrofoam package myself).

I'm sure you could get a free old computer for the power supply if you looked locally on craigslist. People have to pay to recycle them, so giving it to you would help them out.
                Syncrowave 250DX
                Invison 354MP
                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                Smith O/A rig

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishy Jim]Could work. I'd use a bigger fan over the little ones though. I got those 6"s for $12.50 a piece brand new (old stock - pulled them out of the styrofoam package myself).

I suspect you are correct, I will be cooling a (hopefully) very small, very light liquid cooled torch, welding at 50 to 70 amps, I dont think this setup would compliment a syncrowave 250

Comment

I'm sure you could get a free old computer for the power supply if you looked locally on craigslist. People have to pay to recycle them, so giving it to you would help them out.[/QUOTE]

I think have have 2 or 3 working power supplies, Jim, plus many dead ones with no fans lol, i love em for the free parts.

you like procon pumps? at $250 american?

Comment

I got mine for $30 and change delivered. I looked into getting a 220v motor for it (since my fans are 220v - as is the welder), but that might break the bank at $80 for a new one. I'm going to keep my eyes open for another motor via my usual sources. There very well could be one at another location my surplus place runs (and I'll be down by it tomorrow).

Procon pumps are used in all the commercial coolers. It has to do with the duty cycle of the pump and expected lifespan of it's internals - while being able to provide the pressure needed to keep cavitation from occurring in the torch body (where the air in the water boils off and makes an insulated pocket from being able to transfer the heat into the coolant). You can get a whole carbonator (same pump) for under $100 with a co2 tank on ebay, or you can keep an eye out for the pumps and motors. You'll be better off buying a pump attached to a motor, because the drive coupler is around $15 separately.
                      Syncrowave 250DX
                      Invison 354MP
                      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                      Smith O/A rig

Comment

Working...
                      X