Homemade Tig cooler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George,

From what I could find on the Procon site, it appears that he ump is a food-grade beverage carbonator pump. It is a rotary vane (which means positive displacement) pump. There is no "regulator" as such, but there is a relief valve that will pass the over-pressure discharge through the relief valve body back to the inlet side of the pump, as is common with all positive displacement pumps.

In a positive displacement pump, the discharge CANNOT be blocked without some arrangement for the discharge to be relieved. If the discharge is blocke, the pump WILL stop unless something elese breaks to relieve the pressure.

The pump comes in models that are rated for potable water only, and for chemicals. The potable water pump model has seals which will be harmed by additives, like ethelyne glycol, or some other algae inhibitor.

I'm not sure I'd use one of these for a cooler.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
      George,

From what I could find on the Procon site, it appears that he ump is a food-grade beverage carbonator pump. It is a rotary vane (which means positive displacement) pump. There is no "regulator" as such, but there is a relief valve that will pass the over-pressure discharge through the relief valve body back to the inlet side of the pump, as is common with all positive displacement pumps.

In a positive displacement pump, the discharge CANNOT be blocked without some arrangement for the discharge to be relieved. If the discharge is blocke, the pump WILL stop unless something elese breaks to relieve the pressure.

The pump comes in models that are rated for potable water only, and for chemicals. The potable water pump model has seals which will be harmed by additives, like ethelyne glycol, or some other algae inhibitor.

I'm not sure I'd use one of these for a cooler.

Hank
      Thanks, I did take mine apart to see how it works and I think it will do what I need. the spring on the relief valve can be regulated to dump more or less pressure pack to the inputside, worse case the spring can be changed to a weaker one but the one I have is supposed to regulate from 50 to 150 psi and I need it to be 50 psi so thats good. I plan on using only demineralized water in it so the seals should be fine. I got some fittings with barbed connectors and some tygon (250 psi rated) and will hook the pressure guage and my friends #20 torch and see what I can see. All the coolers, Miller, Hobart, Binzel, whatever use the procon pump so I am guessing they are using the chemical rated one.

Worst case I can bleed off some pressure back to the tank right after it exits the output side if I have to.
      Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
      Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
      Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
      Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I hooked my 20 series to the garden hose today, i get exactly 1 qt /min flow with it. i was cooking some steel at 200 amps and the torch was cool to the touch! i already love it. The procon pump is positive displacement so you cannot dead end it! the motor or a hose will blow. i actually looked at it today and thouht there was an inlet restrictor but since there was a spring in there i am assumong it is an adjustable pressure regulator. Problem solved as far as that goes, good too since its cheaper and more compact. so long as you restrict the output you will be able to set the pressure without the torch attached and it won't change if the torch changes. I would incorporate a pressure switch though so you know water is flowing.
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Millermatic 175
        Spectrum 375
        All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
          I hooked my 20 series to the garden hose today, i get exactly 1 qt /min flow with it. i was cooking some steel at 200 amps and the torch was cool to the touch! i already love it. The procon pump is positive displacement so you cannot dead end it! the motor or a hose will blow. i actually looked at it today and thouht there was an inlet restrictor but since there was a spring in there i am assumong it is an adjustable pressure regulator. Problem solved as far as that goes, good too since its cheaper and more compact. so long as you restrict the output you will be able to set the pressure without the torch attached and it won't change if the torch changes. I would incorporate a pressure switch though so you know water is flowing.
          The inlet restricter is acutally a pressure relief valve that pushes against the spring loaded piston from the outlet side to dump excess pressure back to the inlet side. I am going to do some tests today to find out if the output pressure (with a #20 torch connected) can be adjusted by backing off the spring pressure. 1-1.6 qt/min is what you need I think, at least thats what the Miller coolers are rated at, funny thing is that the 2500SS cooler and the Binzel cooler that Arc-Zone sells rate their coolers at 1.6 & 1.7 gal/min using the same pumps and psi I did notice that some of the older Miller coolers had a bleed valve in the output port just after the pump set to
          45 psi but they don't list the valve in the parts list.
          Regards, George

Comment

George,

Well, if that's the pump they put in the big buck coolers, I guess it's the right pump, huh? Good luck. Guess I better start acquiring some of these goodies myself!

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Seems like quite a hassle to build a pump, heck for a hundred bucks and shipping I'll send you a working used coolmate 1.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer
                Seems like quite a hassle to build a pump, heck for a hundred bucks and shipping I'll send you a working used coolmate 1.
                What would be the fun in that
                Regards, George

Comment

I have the testing done and it works as expected in that I was able to vary the output psi with the torch connected by changing the spring load on the bypass. I can vary it from 35 to 100+ psi, I set it to 50 psi and checked the flow, at this setting it will pass 1 qt/min of water which is about right compared with the coolers for sale. Now I need to wait until the radiator, Fan, surface mount psi guage, & lighted power switch get here....then I need to find a tank (probably a 2 gal poly spare gas tank), then I can make a wrapper and put the thing togeather. Attached are pictures of the Mickey Mouse setup I used to setup and check the pump.
                  Attached Files
                  Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer
                    Then we'd spend even more time trying to make it fit under our welders. I'll have less than 100 into mine and 4x the radiator of a coolmate 4 when I'm done.
                    Syncrowave 250DX
                    Invison 354MP
                    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                    Smith O/A rig
                    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Looks good Sundown! Mine came with a stainless steel tank but i would like to make my own. I want it as compact as possible.

Does anybody know the type of fittings used for the torch and gas lines?? I don't know what there called so i can't seem to find them! I would like to mount a pressure and return on a panel on the front of the cooler with quick connects. Same for gas in on the front of the dynasty.

I'm hoping to mock up the tank this week out of oaktag. Then i'll attempt to transfer it to metal. I'll post pics of any progress i might make.
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Millermatic 175
                      Spectrum 375
                      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
                        Looks good Sundown! Mine came with a stainless steel tank but i would like to make my own. I want it as compact as possible.

Does anybody know the type of fittings used for the torch and gas lines?? I don't know what there called so i can't seem to find them! I would like to mount a pressure and return on a panel on the front of the cooler with quick connects. Same for gas in on the front of the dynasty.

I'm hoping to mock up the tank this week out of oaktag. Then i'll attempt to transfer it to metal. I'll post pics of any progress i might make.
                        I am interested to see what you come up with, I'm stuck on mine until Surplus sends me the rest of my stuff. As for dis-connects try this link.....

http://arc-zone.com/catalog/web_stor...=1523490_50990

I think the connectors are the "5/8" x 18LH "B" Style Female", should be able to get them at a welding dealer I hope.
                        Regards, George

Comment

Yep, 5/8-18 LH Female is right. Mine were 3 bucks a pop at the welding shop.
                          Syncrowave 250DX
                          Invison 354MP
                          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                          Smith O/A rig
                          And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                            I have the testing done and it works as expected in that I was able to vary the output psi with the torch connected by changing the spring load on the bypass. I can vary it from 35 to 100+ psi, I set it to 50 psi and checked the flow, at this setting it will pass 1 qt/min of water which is about right compared with the coolers for sale. Now I need to wait until the radiator, Fan, surface mount psi guage, & lighted power switch get here....then I need to find a tank (probably a 2 gal poly spare gas tank), then I can make a wrapper and put the thing togeather. Attached are pictures of the Mickey Mouse setup I used to setup and check the pump.

Use that tig to weld up a stainless tank. HMMM This could be like machine work. Use the tools to make maor tools so they can be used to make still more tools. Guess the fun never stops. ha

Dennis
                            Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                            Millermatic Challenger 172
                            VictorO/A
                            Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                            Esab PCM-875
                            Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by tailshaft56
                              Use that tig to weld up a stainless tank. HMMM This could be like machine work. Use the tools to make maor tools so they can be used to make still more tools. Guess the fun never stops. ha

Dennis
                              Hmmmm, if I did that I could make it the shape I wanted instead of having to settle for whatever I could get. On the other hand I like the idea of having a plastic tank, and there must be a reason why the big makers are going to plastic tanks inside of SS box's.
                              Regards, George

Comment

Any shape you want? You're not in the market for an english wheel are you? LOL I wasn't aware the stainless tanks had a plastic liner.

Dennis
                                Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                                Millermatic Challenger 172
                                VictorO/A
                                Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                                Esab PCM-875
                                Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Working...
                                X