need new 1/2" drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need new 1/2" drill

My dewalt junk died. The most important part left, the smoke. Very limited use on drill should have lasted a life time but those days are gone. Any recomendations for a new one. when I use my drill It usually gets a good workout..
    Lincoln SP170T
    ESAB 875 Plasma
    Smith oxy set
    Dynasty 200DX
    pulsed mig is next...

Long Island Cummins Ram Owners Club

I've got a Milwaukee "Hole Shooter" that will NOT stop if it has power! It has spun me around a few times. There is a lso a "Magnum" series, which is a little lighter (in duty AND price) and is also a **** good drill motor.

The "Shooter" goes for ~$200; the Magnums go for ~$140.

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Drill

I will echo on the Milwaukee. I have a Magnum that is over 20 years old.

Comment

I second the Milwaukee Hole Shooter. I've had one for about 12 years and it's been trouble-free. You have to be careful with it because it will break bits or twist your wrist if the bit jams.

Comment

my father and i buy only Milwaukee corded tools, between the 2 of us we could easily have 25 red tools. all of wich served us VERY well, i have had my 4 1/2" and 7" grinders smoking a couple of times, i simply let them cool and they come back for more. i allways buy the largest amps possible, it costs a bit more but worth it imo!
          The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

I buy Milwaukee for everything except grinders. I just had 2 Metabo's die, so I might change that. You cant beat a Milwaukee drill. Dewalt is Black and Decker junk painted yellow.

Comment

My father was an electrician and the only drills he owned were Milwaukee. I had a few of his that were over 40 years old until someone broke into my shop. He always says that the only tools you should buy are Milwaukee. At 92, he knows his stuff! I have a Milwaukee buffer that was brand new and still in the box when my shop was flooded by Long Island Sound, which is salt water. I took the machine home, and washed it in a tub of fresh water. It runs like a champ.

Comment

curious about the dewalt failures, were they bought from Home Depot?? Every power tool i have bought from them had problems, even my Supersawzall. One exception is my 4 1/2" dewalt grinder. Now i buy from Sears or amazon
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 175
                Spectrum 375
                All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

thanks, off i go tomorrow and buy a new milwaukee. yes home depot junk.
                  Lincoln SP170T
                  ESAB 875 Plasma
                  Smith oxy set
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  pulsed mig is next...

Long Island Cummins Ram Owners Club

Comment

I have always been partial to the Milwaukee holeshooter corded drills,but if you want a top notch cordless,check this one out.I own 2 of these and 2 of the 15.6 volt version.My brother-in-law,who is an electrical contractor,has has over 50 Panasonic drills and several of the metal cutoff saws for Unistrut.He has both the 15.6 volt and the 18 volt models and like me,has owned nearly everything on the market,but has never gotten service from a cordless that even came close to the Panasonics.I have found nothing else that has been nearly as faithfull as the Panasonics.This is a real world class tool.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=hi&n=1000

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=hi&n=1000

tooldude56

Comment

I own two Dewalt corded drills (and an 18V cordless). The 3/8" is weak (decent for a normal none fabricating home owner I guess). The 1/2" is much nicer, and more powerful. I have used it for some pretty grueling tasks, and even though it got super hot (had to put welding gloves on to hold it), it kept going. The 18V cordless is by far thougher than both of the corded drills. I have put a hurting on it using the hammer drill function on concrete as well, it it just keeps chugging along.
                      With all of this said though (I was just thinking about this tonight), I would buy a Milwaukee also. I have a Milwaukee grinder that is awesome. Plus, they are MADE IS THE USA (at least the grinder is). DeWalt is past its prime IMHO, and are now putting out cheaper tools for unsuspecting buyers. I have a bunch of DeWalt stuff, and it works well, but I do not use them day in/day out. For professional use, Milwaukee gets the vote.
                      Joshua

Comment

Well, i have to agree here. Milwaukee is my choice for almost every tool, except that i just bought a new Hitachi 4 1/2 inch grinder and am very impressed. It has way more power than my milwaukee. It may not be the milwaukee's fault though, it's given me 3 years of hard service. I have never been disappointed with any red tool i've ever had. Just my .02.

Comment

I have a Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter, 1/2 inch chuck, dang good drill. It will rip your arm off if you are not carefull. A friend of mine was drilling a 12 inch glue-lam with a 1 inch forstner bit with his, he had the trigger lock on and the bit stuck. The drill spun, hit the sub-floor and ripped the handle off, tore itself apart. He called customer service the next day and they sent him a new one.

I do also like my dewalt 4 1/2 inch grinder, it is the DW402, there is another one the DW400 that is a cheapo, careful which one you get.
                          Thanks, Sled Head

Hypertherm 1000
                          Grandpa's old red Buzz Box

Comment

Milwaukee have 5yr waranty, what do the others have?

Comment

I got a used Milwaukee Holeshooter several years ago. Like others have said its got lots of power and has taken alot of abuse. I've used it alot and it still performs like new.

Comment

Working...
                              X